NEW DODGE HORNET

-

GONEFISHIN'

Reaction score
Just played with "build your car" - and discovered that the new Dodge Hornet out-weighs my '66 Barracuda by 2,000 pounds.
It weighs a ton more and is powered by a 2.0l turbo. Gonna have to go to the track and see this shootout ;)

Just played with "build your car" - and discovered that the new Dodge Hornet out-weighs my '66 Barracuda by 2,000 pounds.
It weighs a ton more and is powered by a 2.0l turbo. Gonna have to go to the track and see this shootout ;)
About a 100 horsepower less than the Honda in its class.. :rolleyes: :BangHead:

How much does the Hornet weigh?

Have you weighed your Barracuda on scales?

Here ya go.........:eek:
DG023_034HN.jpg

2023 Dodge Hornet First Drive Review: 268 reasons to be abuzz - Autoblog

Stellantis is so out of touch they don't even know whose heritage they're whoring anymore. Eventually they'll get so confused we'll probably have names like the Matadoba, Javelizon, and Gremni. How about a new SUV called the Rambassador? How about we drag Eagle into this and build an SRT-flavored luxury car called the Premeerkat?

OIGUWJ7KZVEPPEY2GXIGLY65T4.jpg

I read the whole article. Not a bad looking car. I'd give it a 7. But no performance to speak of, crappy gas mileage, and a high price tag? Nice job Fiat, I mean Chrysler.

I'll pass. I see this as Dodge playing everyone else's game instead of Dodge playing their own game, and cornering that market. It usually doesn't fair well for Dodge with vehicles like this, unless it comes to fleet material.

I'll pass. I see this as Dodge playing everyone else's game instead of Dodge playing their own game, and cornering that market. It usually doesn't fair well for Dodge with vehicles like this, unless it comes to fleet material.
You mean like the overnight smash hit that the Dart wasn't? Dealers moved those things like they were chained to showroom floors. I'm sure cancelling them two years prior to their scheduled end-of-life was solely to protect their future collector status and value. I sure hope so--I stocked up big on date-coded zip ties and correctly-numbered plastic push retainers. :p

The market needs a well made simple car with focus on build quality not gadgets. Keep it under 3500#s , 240 hp , auto and manual options. PW , PL , a/c tilt and cruise . Maybe bluetooth in the stereo .
Efficient , fun to drive and super reliable . Like the 80s BMW e30 325i . Great car !

The market needs a well made simple car with focus on build quality not gadgets. Keep it under 3500#s , 240 hp , auto and manual options. PW , PL , a/c tilt and cruise . Maybe bluetooth in the stereo .
Efficient , fun to drive and super reliable . Like the 80s BMW e30 325i . Great car !
We have a lot of gadgets on ours and I have to say after using them I would be hard pressed to not have them on my next ride. Heated steering wheel for the wife is a dandy. I like the heads up display on the windshield and also the auto dimming headlights. The automatic parking feature is a no for me. I thought the lane alert was stupid until it kept me going straight when I nodded off one sunny afternoon. It was the jerk of the wheel and the buzzing of my seat that woke me up.

Last edited:
I sold hi end cars for 30 years and found that 99% of customers never used 90% of the the options they had to have . Adaptive cruise , Lane departure and CMBS are nice safety features but I think consumers should have an option to get a basic car that isnt a POS … a car you could drive for 300k with out issue and drives tight .

Kind of reminds me of my Wife's Envision. Same size and shape. Those are the hot SUV's right now. Big enough to be comfortable with nice storage in the back.
Yes that picture is of the 2021 Kia Seltos which my wife has of course a different color but she's got the turbo with disc brakes and all that stuff and it's a great car. Plenty of room plenty of pep...
Even with my stroked dual quad tunnel ram for speed nitrous duster guess which car I've got my first speeding ticket in in 20 years lol... :rolleyes: :BangHead:

Yes that picture is of the 2021 Kia Seltos which my wife has of course a different color but she's got the turbo with disc brakes and all that stuff and it's a great car. Plenty of room plenty of pep...
Even with my stroked dual quad tunnel ram for speed nitrous duster guess which car I've got my first speeding ticket in in 20 years lol... :rolleyes: :BangHead:
:rofl: :rofl: The wife's Buick has a Ecotech 4 banger with a windmill. It scats pretty good. No tickets yet but I have seen quite a bit past the 100 mark on the speedo.

How about a basic stationwagon?
3 rows, v8 done

Or how about a basic truck?
2 BENCH seats, v8 3/4 ton rating, done

Both for under 30k new

All these pseudo SUV's look the same. Heading towards government public-transit.
hqdefault.jpg

Nobody is going to buy that... thing when there are 10 other options just like it in the same market segment but better. It'll be like the late 2000s all over again except this time they'll just kill Dodge and Chrysler brands altogether and milk Jeep and mayybe Ram for all they're worth.

Good thing they sold so many Chargers and Challengers, maybe they'll get cheap at some point to mess around with. Kinda feel like they won't hold up well long- term though, not really known for being 150k-200k-mile cars.

Unless our government changes...we won't have cars for long.

I saw the commercial for the 1st time a week or 2 ago, and 1st impressions were that I "liked" it, based on looks. 268hp?? More than enuf for a dd for me, but I doubt theres a trailer pkg to tow the boat lol.

I think that you are confused. The 66 Barracuda surely weighs 2700 lbs at the least. I seriously doubt this new "Hornet" is 4700 lbs.

Clipped from the article above:

2140 (2).png

This "Hornet" is 4140 lbs. There were no Barracudas that were 2140 lbs.

I think that you are confused. The 66 Barracuda surely weighs 2700 lbs at the least. I seriously doubt this new "Hornet" is 4700 lbs.

Clipped from the article above:

View attachment 1716069008

This "Hornet" is 4140 lbs. There were no Barracudas that were 2140 lbs.
EXTERIOR
Length178.0 "
Body width82.0 "
Body height63.8 "
Wheelbase103.8 "
Ground clearanceN/A
Curb3,715 Lbs.
Gross weight4,960 Lbs

guess I missed the "curb weight" and "gross weight" part - still around 1000 lbs more than Barracuda

How much does a 1965 barracuda weigh?

Features
Engine Location :Front
Drive Type :Rear Wheel
Production Years for Series :1964 - 1969
Price :$2,450
Weight :2726 lbs | 1236.493 kg

-
Back