68383GTS

Reaction score
Here is the car...

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,117
  • Dust rear.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,117
This is not a resto. but a makeover and detail thread of my 71 Duster I just bought.It is a somewhat ugly but clean 53,000 mile untouched car.It is tan with chestnut brown interior.I am giving myself a month to do the makeover and make it look like a different car.The plan is Cragar wheels,black twister side stripes,black tail panel stripes,go wing,and more.I think I may wait to Oct to make over the engine.
Today I pulled the interior,scrubbed the drivers side door panels,waxed the metal door panels,and po'd some mice.Cek out that floor not bad for a lifetime midwest car...

Attachments

• tan dust 092.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • tan dust 094.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • tan dust 096.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,101
  • tan dust 098.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,091
  • tan dust 099.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,108
  • tan dust 097.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,101
  • tan dust 101.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,103
Clean ride, kinda a survivor car in how untouched it is. Can't believe it only has 53,000 miles. Can't wait to see this makeover take place.

I sent Challengergary a PM so I can get a set of twister side stripes and tail panel stripes.I guess I will get used to the brown interior,but I wish it was black.

Its looks like how my buddy Joes car looked when he bought it back in high school.

Although the paint had some shine it was pretty dull.I wet sanded it with 2000 and buffed the hood,cowl,and the trunk lid.Wow it looks totally different not to bad of a color after all.I am going to get the whole car buffed out and then add black Twister stripes.
I am waiting for new 4 speed brown carpet and floor mats I ordered from trim parts.I also ordered a 4 speed hump.Once the carpet and the hump come I can get the interior back in.I am going to add a rimblow steering wheel if I can find one.I am also adding a AM/FM cd under the dash,got to have music.

Pics coming soon.....

Thats my favorite kind of project Jim, and I'm wishing you nothing but fun while doing it. I love to rehab areas of a car thats running and driving, and your month long plan is gonna yield outstanding results!!

Cant wait for reveal day!! Geof

The passenger fender I think has been bumped and repainted at one time.You can tell the fender has been fixed and I don't think the paint will buff out like the rest of the car.I am debating on weather to leave it alone or striaghten it out a little more and repaint it.

Jim

I got the 4 speed hump, trim parts carpet and mats today.I have to weld in the 4 speed hump and repair a 4"x4" section of the floor under the brake pedal.Then I can put the interior back in.I have not worked on it in a few days but I am going to sand and buff more Sunday.I will have more pics. next weekend.

Jim

Yes after having it two weeks I kind of like the tan/brown interior.I am putting new brown carpet in it.I would like to buy some cragar wheels,not much of a choice when it comes to small bolt pattern.

Great find and cool pics Jim.What engine will you be going with when replacing?The car looks like it will be easy to transform into what you want it to look like.Good luck.:D

Pettyblu.... It will have a 4 speed.I have a fresh 383 400hp or a fairly fresh 318 275 hp.I am not sure yet,but probably the 318.

Jim

Pettyblu.... It will have a 4 speed.I have a fresh 383 400hp or a fairly fresh 318 275 hp.I am not sure yet,but probably the 318.

Jim
The 318 sounds like an easier choice,due to gas prices and parts availability.Waiting to see the car with stripe kit.:D

That is a really clean car, if you don't mind how much did you give for it?

I was trying to keep my make over budget at no more than $2500.00 but I think it will be more like $3000.00

68383gts that is one sweet car loks clean can't wait to see what you do to it

-
Back