New LED tail lights 69 Cuda

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakaruda

Reaction score
Here are the brand new LED lights for the 67=69 Barracuda's. These are not on there web site for sale as of yet but these ar killer.

1322164418483.jpg

1322164408789.jpg

1322164381610.jpg

very neat....but u have me confused, do they work in a 68, or the "=" excludes the 68 year? either way....I hope....slant six dan....the headlamp whisperer.....approves of these....:):):)

They aren't going to work as pictured on the 68 because of the inner shield for the tail light and turn siginal. The white on a 68 is the back up lights and uses a seperate bulb.

They have a little different one for the 68 but basically the same. If you remove the lenses the are the same shape. It is all in the programming.

Hope they work out well. Dan's issue with LED's has to do with the fact that they are inherently a mono-directional light making it hard to see the light from angles(the old laptop effect)

As long as there are no issues with that don't see why he wouldn't like em. Sure interested in what pricing will be like.

Hope they work out well. Dan's issue with LED's has to do with the fact that they are inherently a mono-directional light making it hard to see the light from angles(the old laptop effect)

As long as there are no issues with that don't see why he wouldn't like em. Sure interested in what pricing will be like.

he has mentioned in the past that spaghetti are a good product.

Nuh-uh, no he hasn't! Not until I see test data on these, which I don't imagine will be forthcoming from the Spaghetti folks. They may look keen and they may give every appearance to the casual observer of providing adequate safety performance, but that would only be a guess without data. The data needed include intensity throughout the regulated vertical and horizontal angles for both the dim tail and the bright brake mode, ratio of intensity between the dim and bright modes, and intensity maintenance with prolonged operation (even some of the name-brand truck/bus LED items have a hard time with this one). It's not all that expensive to have a full suite of safety performance tests done on an item such as this—about $500, tops, and probably less. But I will still be surprised if ever we see that data.

(And no, I don't mean they ought to be tested to the standards in force for today's cars, just the standards that were in force when the cars they're intended for were new. Not much difference between today's standards and the '68 standards, and as long as one were designing a unit like this from scratch one might as well design it to conform to today's somewhat higher performance requirements, but without data I am skeptical about the ability of these lamps to meet even the slightly lower '68 standards)

Dang SSD! I was begining to think you were done with FABO with as long as its been since I seen you here lol

Pics of installed product?

I wish they had put up detailed pictures or a video showing the installation of these in to the actual tail light assembly. The tail light buckets are contoured just like the tail light lenses but these appear to be flat in the picture. Maybe they are much smaller than they appear in the picture and a tail light would be nice for a size comparision too.

Here is a short clip I made yesterday. They light up very nice. And yes you can see clearly from the side as well. I do not have them installed so I just put power to the circuit and flashed them my self. I will not have them completly installed for a while yet. The car is in the paint process. As for Dan I am sure you are an engineer, not a bad thing. I do not need a buch on dtat to tell me if they are good, I need to see them in action and I have seen several of there products in action. They are killer.

Automobile manufacturers spend a lot of money and effort on meeting the government safety standards. I'm just saying.

Automobile manufacturers spend a lot of money and effort on meeting the government safety standards. I'm just saying.

I've seen couuntless examples of not enough R&D spent designing OEM fixtures. Lenses yellow, fixtures filled with rain water so they look like fish tanks.
My brother was driving his 93 mustang to the beach when he encountered a thunderstrom. Water in the headlight fixtures blew out the bulbs. he stopped at a truck stop and paid far too much for the new bulbs. He used paper towels to wick a lot of water from both fixtures.
Because he and the storm were east bound and he lost a good bit of time, he drove through the storm again. He made it to the hotel parking lot, crossed a small speed bump and pop pop ! Both bulbs gone again. Just sayin' :)

You're right, unfortunately some aspects of the headlamp requirements are too lax. The durability standard for plastic lenses, for example, is nowhere near good enough -- as a walk through any parking lot will quickly show. But that's not really on topic for the question at hand in this thread (re the safety performance of these LED brake/tail lamps).

Subjective "Yep, looks purty darn bright to me!" is just plain not good enough.

Here is a short clip I made yesterday. They light up very nice. And yes you can see clearly from the side as well. I do not have them installed so I just put power to the circuit and flashed them my self. I will not have them completly installed for a while yet. The car is in the paint process. As for Dan I am sure you are an engineer, not a bad thing. I do not need a buch on dtat to tell me if they are good, I need to see them in action and I have seen several of there products in action. They are killer.

All I see is a picture with a dark tail light instead of a clip. What am I doing wrong.

Edit. The clip didn't work the first time. They don't look bad but I don't car for the sequencing on the turn signal,

That vid won't play on my restricted computer.

If these are any good I will be getting a set (well, lets see the price first) as I am going to be using 67 rear lenses on my 68 to get a brighter brake light and hopefully avoid getting hit from behind.

LOL, I used to call the Barracuda a "bacaruda" since I was a kid.

That vid won't play on my restricted computer.

If these are any good I will be getting a set (well, lets see the price first) as I am going to be using 67 rear lenses on my 68 to get a brighter brake light and hopefully avoid getting hit from behind.

LOL, I used to call the Barracuda a "bacaruda" since I was a kid.

Are you not going to have a back up lights? Are you using 67 trunk trim so the tail lights won't look funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back