New lifter install help me understand

-
i just put a brand new set in my 318 and my 360 dry and they pumped up immediately with no noise.

??? are you sure you got the right one out ????

this is why i pull the intake and change them all. if one failed , chances are good theres another one right behind it.

they are usually rock hard after they pump up with very little if any movement after installation

i just put a brand new set in my 318 and my 360 dry and they pumped up immediately with no noise.

??? are you sure you got the right one out ????

this is why i pull the intake and change them all. if one failed , chances are good theres another one right behind it.

they are usually rock hard after they pump up with very little if any movement after installation
X2 I had a nasty ticking turned out one of my rocker arms one on each side was hitting on the baffles under the valve covers, tore those out and NO MORE ticking, special thanks goes out to demon416 as he was the one that figured it out, I was ready to start replacing lifters myself glad I didn't do that....do you have baffles under your valve covers???

73, I'm sure, I had the cover off and isolated it to that one.

412, I thought that might be the case, looked for wear marks on the valve covers and/or baffle. It's making noise with the covers off so it's not hitting.

I pulled a couple of other lifters and they don't budge.

I left the new one soaking over night and all day. I'll check it when I get home and see if it's gotten better.

Brand is Sealed Power....maybe their crapola.

Have you checked the pushrod length? Did you inspect the cam lobe? How about the rocker arm itself, is it extremely worn in the cup?

rod length is good. Not sure how to guage if the rocker cup has excessive wear. I have not pulled the intake so can't get a real close look at the cam lobe.

Looked at some other lifters and all of them acted the same way, able to push the plunger with my finger.

Took the new lifter apart and it did have oil from the motor in it. I cleaned it out to make sure there wasn't a piece of trash in it .

Poured some oil in the bottom of the (lifter) cyl. and kept putting a bit more until I could just depress the plunger enough to get the retainer in. I used by drill press which made it little easier.

Dropped the lifter back in put everything back together and fired it up. Not as noisy as before but still too noisy. Varying the RPMS it steadily got better and it seems all is well now.

Thanks for all the help.

-
Back