New Member - Brock, Texas

-
Welcome to FABO!
I love the beak cars, i have a few of them myself.......

Welcome!
Hope you're far away from all of the flooding we've been hearing about down there in Texas.

Welcome!
What are you starting with and where are you going with it?
Cruiser? Hot rod street car? Racecar?
Let's see it!
Lots of helpful info here, study up before you start spending, and have a clear goal. You'll both have a lot more fun that way.

vbpgimage.php

1974 Dodge Dart Sport.
Our mission was to find a near rust free A-body to build for my son, who is 12 years old. I wanted original paint if possible. I hate bringing something home to find "hidden" work done.

Building a 340/727 and 8.75 with 3:55's.
Tor-Red - Black Vinyl Top - White Stripes - Hood Scoop with Matte Black Hood Stripe Kit. Slot Mags with WLO Tires. I want it to scream mid '70's. Interior - Black Buckets.

Hoping for around 300 HP.

Just collecting parts now...

Welcome! I'm originally from Temple then lived in Abilene for 17 years, now in Hawaii for a few more months, and REALLY want to be back in Texas.

Ought to be a cool project with your boy; a 300hp 340 won't be difficult even with a nice mild build. Look around the site some--there are a few folks on here with the '73 up Sports and Dusters...could help with some ideas if you need them. We'll all look forward to see more of your build--post up a thread in the resto section when you get underway.

Looks like a nice start!
/6 car?
5x4" or 5x4-1/2" bolt pattern?
Front brakes disk or drum?
300 hp can be done with a 318, if you got a 340 already you should end up around 400hp with a smart lowbuck build.
NO rust?

It is a slant6 car. The 340 motor I have is a '69. I am in debate to use it on this build or use a 360 Magnum. It will stay LBP.

Rust is very minimal. Nothing I can't easily fix at home.

Inspiration:
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Cool deal

As for the engine choice, what all needs to be done to the 340? Often times you can find running 5.9s out of a Jeep or Ram for a good deal. There's a section here for magnum swaps and if you haven't seen it yet, www.magnumswap.com is useful also.

The 5.2 Mag I swapped into my '72 Scamp had over 150K miles on it when I got it for free, and it runs great. I did swap out the crank and bearings due to normal but heavy wear...So, $200 for those parts, plus some gaskets, a new intake, carb and distributor off the shelf, 360 oil pan, and a hughes cam extender, and I was in business...

Thanks. A 5.9 would have its perks with this build.

Help.
Trying to get into trunk without damaging fold down divider from inside.
Lock is damaged and I don't want to drill it just yet.
Anyone have any advise?

Thanks. A 5.9 would have its perks with this build.

Help.
Trying to get into trunk without damaging fold down divider from inside.
Lock is damaged and I don't want to drill it just yet.
Anyone have any advise?

Long flathead screwdriver or a bunch of socket extensions with a flathead bit.

Nice car! Get the proper protective gear for sanding painting ect.

Welcome to FABO. It's great to hear you're doing this project with your son. Looks like a great car to start with. Any engine you choose will be a good fit. Here's a 74 with a 318 and a Whiplash cam. Nothing wrong with that combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could just find a way to get the fold down piece to actually fold from the inside...
Have tried several flat heads in lieu of key.

If I could just find a way to get the fold down piece to actually fold from the inside...
Have tried several flat heads in lieu of key.

First off, welcome to the site from another "beak" owner (74 Dart Sport).

If you look closely, you may be able to see where the two latches are on the divider.

Try a piece of flat thin metal and push it in there to slide the release down (the rounded portion faces forward). You will need two of them.

If you need it, I can go measure how far in on each side they are.

Here ya go.

About 8 1/2 to 9 inches in from each end.

View attachment tape.jpg

And you can see the curved portion of the latch. You might be ab;e tp push it down by wedging a flat piece of thin metal in there. Get one pushed down, leave the metal and when you push the other one down it should flop open.

View attachment Latch.jpg

Welcome to the forum ! Lol - your first test of patience! There WILL be many more. My vote is for the 340 if you want to scream 70's ? Was a 4 speed ever considered ?

-
Back