-

Kiteman

Reaction score
Hi all, My connection to Mopars is I have a 1933 Plymouth PD Coupe street rod. My interest in A bodies is that Tex Smith, who wrote books on how to hot rod Mopars says that a rear axle from an A body is a good swap into my '33. I'm interested in any info I can get. From the little knowledge I have I guess I would prefer an 8 3/4 gear. Tex says that the distance between spring pads on the A body axle match the center bolts on my coupe. I am open to all recommendations anyone might have. I use the handle Kiteman as in the past I've competed with stunt kites and have quite a collection of single, dual and four line kites.

P1010035.JPG

Welcome to FABO. And man do I love your 33. Be sure to check the For Sale Section here and also, there are posts of differential measurements etc.

There is probably a mopar small block for sale here for your 33 too. LOL.

8 3/4 rears are great. Much easier to work on than the kind with a rear access cover (Dana/Spicer?) and pretty bullet proof. They were used for a looong time so the center chunks are readily available in a wide choice of gears. These days the bug a boo is the cost of an A-body housing, they make aftermarket ones but none of them are cheap.

Cool coupe. Just be advised. People think the A body 8 3/4 rears are gold, so you've been warned. Also, I love kites and would like to see some pictures. We love pictures here.

:welcome:aboard. Nice Coupe. Mopar rally's on front, nice.
Boo on the small block Chevy mill.... Need a Mopar Six Pack in there !

Welcome to FABO. And man do I love your 33. Be sure to check the For Sale Section here and also, there are posts of differential measurements etc.

There is probably a mopar small block for sale here for your 33 too. LOL.
A Mopar power plant would be great - but I'd want a small hemi if I did that swap. Thanks for the reply.

Someone wanted to see a kite photo. This is typical of what I usually fly.

Gary & stunt kite.jpg

My coupe is all steel Mopar. Yes, I have a Chevy small block - 283 c.i. bored with 2 speed Powerglide trans and Chevy rear axle for now. I have the hood but the front fenders or running boards were trash. I just bought cycle style front fenders I plan to install rather than go with original style fiberglass. I plan to paint it a darker teal non-metallic color. If I can get an A body rear axle I'd like to find 15" Mopar rally wheels for the back if in fact they were made. Right now the Chev rear axle has 5 x 4 3/4" bolt pattern so it's got to go - it's also too wide for the car. I recently took the tri-power carbs off the engine and went with an Edelbrock manifold and 650 cfm carb.

33 Plymouth with hood.jpg

My coupe is all steel Mopar. Yes, I have a Chevy small block - 283 c.i. bored with 2 speed Powerglide trans and Chevy rear axle for now. I have the hood but the front fenders or running boards were trash. I just bought cycle style front fenders I plan to install rather than go with original style fiberglass. I plan to paint it a darker teal non-metallic color. If I can get an A body rear axle I'd like to find 15" Mopar rally wheels for the back if in fact they were made. Right now the Chev rear axle has 5 x 4 3/4" bolt pattern so it's got to go - it's also too wide for the car. I recently took the tri-power carbs off the engine and went with an Edelbrock manifold and 650 cfm carb.

View attachment 1716153914
Nothing wrong with that! The 1st generation small block Chevy is a fine engine.

You might want to consider an 8 1/4 rear axle for your coupe. They were available in a bodies, are 5x4.5 bolt circle, should be strong enough for your combination and car weight. There is also the option of a Ford 8.8 axle sourced from an Explorer, they came with traction lok differentials and 3.73 or 4.10 gears, however they do require some modifications to install. As for the rallye wheels, yes they do come in 15 in sizes, both factory and reproduction.

-
Back