New Mopar Owner Here - 1972 Duster

-
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Brad. I just bought my daughter a 1972 Duster this past weekend at the Spring Fling swap meet here in SoCal. I've been a lifelong Ford guy and have restored several Mustangs, and currently have a 1969 Mach 1 351 4-speed in Acapulco Blue that is my baby. When my daughter Leighton was born in 2016, I knew I wanted to do a project muscle car for her when the time came. Fast forward to now, and she's almost 8 (June 2nd). She is the daughter of a Nitro Funny Car dad and a Top Fuel Hydro mom, so she had no choice but to be a car nut! We've discussed it for a few years now and she has shown great interest in the car hobby which makes me happy. She told me from an early age she wanted a purple car and I told her i cannot bring myself to paint a Mustang purple! I've always had a soft spot for the Mopars, so I decided to dive in head first and told her I'd get her a Duster and paint it purple because they look damn good in FC7! She agreed when I showed her the bodystyle and shes been hooked ever since! This past weekend I walked the show with her on facetime going over the cars there asking again about bodystyles and colors. When asked about a yellow Challenger her response was, "Thats so not my style Daddy". OOOOOKKKKKK then. Haha! We walked the swap meet and a guy had a '72 Duster on a trailer for sale, complete less engine and trans and it had a V8 K member in it already. She saw it on the phone and said to me, "Daddy, I see a Duster! Can we get it and you can make it purple for me?" Needless to say, grandpa's heart melted in that moment. He was with me at the show. Grandpa ended up striking a deal and now she's the proud owner of a '72 Plymouth Duster! Well, I am as she's only 7 at the moment!

So here I am, on a journey to build something new to me. I've worked as a service technician at GM dealerships for 23 years, restored three '69 Mustangs, and worked on pro and nostalgia Nitro Funny Car teams for 18 years. I know my way around cars and engines very well. I've just never dived into a Mopar outside of some Top Fuel hemis. So here I am, at the bottom rung of a new project and hoping to gain some knowledge and insight. Not including the Nitro engines, the engine I build for this Duster will be my 300th in my life. I always build engines on the side at home for folks to save them a few bucks. This one will be for my baby girl. She loves the Mustang and told me she wants a shifter like her daddy's because mommy's car is boring. So finding this car was fantastic as it was a 225 3-speed car. It has the column and tunnel and pedals in it. Someone at one point put a V8 K member in it but that's it for updates. It's a complete roller other than the engine and trans. It was B5 blue with a blue interior and bench seat. The only option on the fender tag was a 2 watt AM radio. The car was a strippo base model. From what I understand there were no FC7 Dusters in '72, but it appears we're gonna make one! Looking forward to reading the vast amounts of knowledge here and interacting to the best of my ability. Thanks for letting me climb aboard!

-Brad (Leighton's dad)

Here are a few photos of the car from this past weekend.

IMG_1877.jpeg

IMG_1876.jpeg

IMG_1874.jpeg

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_7784.jpeg

IMG_7788.jpeg

Last edited:
The little lady has vision for sure!!

And you are obviously not faint of heart.

Congrats, you are among friends.

Welcome from West Virginia.......................looking forward to seeing your build.

Tons of knowledge and helpful people here. You have come to the right place.:thumbsup:

Hi Brad
Do you know where this Duster come from?
It seems to be an export car. There is an "I" on the fender tag for International.
My Demon, made in Hamtramck, and exported to Belgium in 1971, also has this "I" on the fender tag.
U = United States
C = Canada
I = International (rest of the world)
Your sequence number (E33656) begins with an "E", like mine. I think (but it's only a supposition) that sequence numbers beginning with an "E" are european export models.

International  I  code.jpg

François

Last edited:
Great story, and your daughter is a lucky girl!

Don't tell anyone, but I'm a Ford guy myself (I've owned three '69 Mustangs myself over the years), and yet the Good People here seem to put up with me. Enough so that....Let me put it to you this way: See the "FABO Gold Member" underneath my moniker? I don't even own a Mopar (I just keep one running), but that just goes to show you how great a site this is.

Welcome, and please share the build with us as it progresses!

Jim

Last edited:
Welcome from West Virginia.......................looking forward to seeing your build.

Tons of knowledge and helpful people here. You have come to the right place.:thumbsup:
Thank you for the warm welcome! I love WV! stayed in a little town with an ex and her grandparents called Knob Fork, a few miles from Hundred. First time I had ever really traveled. It was eye opening and quite beautiful. I love it there. Im hoping being a part of the crew here is beneficial. It always seems to pop up when I began searching for the car a couple years ago.

Hi Brad
Do you know where this Duster come from?
It seems to be an export car. There is an "I" on the fender tag for International.
My Demon, made in Hamtramck, and exported to Belgium in 1971, also has this "I" on the fender tag.
U = United States
C = Canada
I = International (rest of the world)
Your sequence number (E33656) begins with an "E", like mine. I think (but it's only a supposition) that sequence numbers beginning with an "E" are european export models.

View attachment 1716240527

François
I noticed that when I was checking the tag. I do not know much about the car unfortunately. I'm hoping to start some deep dives soon. I don't know the right people in the Mopar world yet. Coming from Ford land, all I know is Kevin Marti and the Marti reports which I have for all my cars. I'm hoping there's something similar for these cars. Good eye on that! I pointed it out to my dad too. It does have a MPH speedo not a KPH but it may not be the original either.

Great story, and your daughter is a lucky girl!

Don't tell anyone, but I'm a Ford guy myself (I've owned three '69 Mustangs myself over the years), and yet the Good People here seem to put up with me. Enough so that....Let me put it to you this way: See the "FABO Gold Member" underneath my moniker? I don't even own a Mopar (I just keep one running), but that just goes to show you how great a site this is.

Welcome, and please share the build with us as it progresses!

Jim
That's awesome! I have always loved the 69 Mustangs but always had a soft spot for the Mopars. How could you not love them? They're awesome. Never been a GM guy. I worked for them for 23 years just so that I had something to remind me of why I'm a Ford/Mopar guy lol. I did lots googling over the past couple years while searching for the car and this place kept coming up, so now that I bit the bullet, I figured I might as well join! Thanks for the warm welcome!

:welcome: from :canada:

Great story, you've come to the right place to get answers for your Duster. I too have had more than a few Fords, and still do. Should make a pretty sweet first car for Leighton from what you have planned thus far.

Welcome to you, Leighton, and grandpa from another SoCal member!
Great start on your new project. Please keep us all up to date - with pics - on plans and progress.
Great people and tons of knowledge on FABO.

:welcome: from :canada:

Great story, you've come to the right place to get answers for your Duster. I too have had more than a few Fords, and still do. Should make a pretty sweet first car for Leighton from what you have planned thus far.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I have a suspicion this place will be a great resource. It seems that every time I google something about the car there are links to this forum, which is very reassuring! As for the story, it was crazy. I didn't expect to come home with a car that day. It was just my dad and me going to scope things out and boom! Here we are! Seeing the electricity in my daughter's smile is already making this completely worth it. I'm sure hoping a smaller car with some fun parts and a good paint job in her favorite color can give her something to be proud of and love.

Welcome to you, Leighton, and grandpa from another SoCal member!
Great start on your new project. Please keep us all up to date - with pics - on plans and progress.
Great people and tons of knowledge on FABO.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I cant wait to get some progress or inverse progress made on this thing soon! Deconstruction has already begun I'm happy to say (can you believe an original uncut wire harness??? I know!). Hoping to get it Partially disassembled and inventoried this week and weekend. Seal Beach car show is this weekend, so I have to carve out some time for that, then back to the Duster!

Nice! Welcome to the Madness! It's good to start em' young!
My second youngest of 4 sons in 2015. Back when my Duster was yellow.
mark in 2015.jpg

Nice! Welcome to the Madness! It's good to start em' young!
My second youngest of 4 sons in 2015. Back when my Duster was yellow.
View attachment 1716241185
That's so awesome! Starting them young is the only chance this hobby has of staying alive. It feels so good to see their faces when they see or hear the cars. Hearing my daughter yell to me from the back seat of the mustang, "Daddy your car is so much fun!" made my year! Obviously the restoration is fun for me, but seeing her reaction to the purchase was priceless! Grandpa stepping up and getting to see the smile he brought to her face was heartwarming for him too. My dad loves that little one and he knows he's the one who started all this car stuff with me. We've had three generations' hands on the mustang, time to start that process on this one now.

-
Back