New PCV Valve whistles

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just installed a fresh 318 in a Dart and got a new PCV valve from NAPA (Standard part). The thing whistles when the engine is running. It's so loud I can hear it in the car at 50 mph!!! So I switched it with the old, but completely functional valve from a different 318 - no whistle. I put the new PCV in the other car and it whistles there too. So I took the PCV back to NAPA, they replaced it with a new one that DOES THE SAME DAMNED THING!!! So I went to a different parts store (Advance Auto) in a next town and bought another PCV - and DAMMIT IT DOES THE SAME THING!!!. Any thoughts on the problem? Any suggestions for a source for a valve that is better quality?

Hunt for an older NOS one off Ebay.

They have different size openings/spring rates bet the replacements are smaller.

Same thing happened to me 30 years ago with my 1987 Ram slant. I put the old one back in, and it's still there.

This is what my engine builder put in my rebuilt 318 last winter:

O'Reilly MicroGard PCV Valve (MGD PCV194).jpg

It came from O'Reilly's.

Several options:
* If anybody mentions it to you tell them it's "blower whine"
* Louder mufflers

Had the same issue, pulled the threads out of a marette, drilled a hole through it slightly smaller than the hose ID and shoved it in just before the PVC valve. No more whistle... You may have to experiment with hole size.

Keep changing them until you find one that whistles a tune....

Nope, and I can put my hand on the pcv valve and actually feel that it is where the noise comes from
I tried different ones on my 98 Dodge ram and I think it's a vacuum condition caused by something I'm not sure what....
Interested to get passed the wise cracks and see if someone can help....

Combos and such!

Getting the "Best PCV" for your combo is not a science mostly, but a test in your ability. Fortunately they are fairly cheap at the big parts stores. Patience and few try's and you will be rewarded!

Always use one, except for pure race apps. JMO as always!

I have had the occasional TQ carb whistle at idle. Not sure what the cause is, but something about the airflow such as air flow across the top of the Coke bottle.
Haven't had one that whistles Dixie yet...

I had the same issue on the last 340 I built. It was whistling and rattling. I tried several different new ones and some used ones with the same results. I finally found some mopar ones and it worked great with no noise. I bought a half dozen of them in case I ever come across this issue again.

I had the same issue on the last 340 I built. It was whistling and rattling. I tried several different new ones and some used ones with the same results. I finally found some mopar ones and it worked great with no noise. I bought a half dozen of them in case I ever come across this issue again.
Smart Move! Stock some up!

-
Back