New shock plate design

-

AndyF

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out how to get the rear shocks mounted on my Duster. The shock plate that came with the Cal Tracs had the pin in the wrong location so I was a little stumped on what to do. Finally after laying under the car for a while I decided to build my own shock plates. I also decided to use a double shear mount. I don't have it finished yet but here are a couple of pictures of what I've made so far.

DSC_1546 (Large).JPG

DSC_1547 (Large).JPG

The double shear mount is a big deal. I never had that single mount fail but it's just a bad idea.

Do you think you make them cost effective enough to sell them through Dr Diff, Mancini and other places.

Hell, I'd buy a pair just for the shock mounts.

The double shear mount is a big deal. I never had that single mount fail but it's just a bad idea.

Do you think you make them cost effective enough to sell them through Dr Diff, Mancini and other places.

Yep. I just dropped a buck fifty on a pair of shock plates...

interesting, those mounts look so flimsy in the first pick, but once you see it mounted up, they look fine

I can sell a "u weld it" kit for a decent price. That gives a guy with a welder everything they need to mount the shocks at the right height and angle for their car. I don't think I'll sell fully welded kits since the shock angle might end up wrong for a custom rearend and then everyone is unhappy.

you know I just looked at the picture of that and also remembering looking underneath the wife's 98 Durango and thinking that looks a lot beefier but the same and it is actually kind of like that?

Did u have trouble because the car was tubbed ? I was able to get them on ok on my 3/4" offset 68 fish.

Yes I think it is because the car is tubbed and the springs are moved in so far. Also, I'm using the CalTrac split mono leafs and the car sits pretty low. The car used to have SS springs on it and Rancho shocks but with the split mono leafs the shock needs to be shorter.

The good thing about this design of shock mount is that you can just figure out where the shock bolt needs to go and then weld the mount to the shock plate. That way the shock has the correct travel on both compression and rebound. I also like the double shear design better since you don't have to wrestle the shock on and off. Just pull the bolt out and the shock swings free.

-
Back