Newbie Checking In!

-

Mike's Dart

Dodging The Negative Darting Toward The Positive
Reaction score
Hello All! Well, a couple hours ago the gentleman pulled the "For Sale" sign out of his 1973 Dodge Dart Custom! I'll go by in the morning with the cash and pick her up! 59,000 actual miles and in really nice shape inside and out! Four door, slant six with the three speed automatic! I'll post some pics first chance I get! This Forum convinced me to make the purchase and make this vintage Dodge my daily driver! Looking forward to having an automobile I can actually work on again! Have not been this fired up about a car since I bought my Ford Galaxie 500 42 years ago! Can not wait to get the title, tags and insurance taken care of so I can start driving this neat old car!

Mike

Welcome aboard Mike's Dart. Don't know about road salt in your area, but salt and these old Mopars do not mix well...
C

Sounds like a great daily driver to drive around while you're building your Stroker motor to connect to the 4-Speed and Dana 60! Welcome to the craziness J Par

Welcome Mike! I love four door slant six 73 Darts! As a little kid my Dad had several old Darts, and they were '73's with slant sixes and 4 doors. That was the start of my love for Mopars. First one was a Custom, green, a/c, power brakes. What a great car. So easy to work on too, of course.

Can't wait to see pics!

Man! I am so pleasantly surprised at all of the "welcome" replies! Busy day yesterday, bank to get the cash, title notarized, driving the Dart home.......did I mention DRIVING THE DART HOME!!!!! I can not stopped smiling about this 43 year old car! Run my school bus routes today then had to run get my youngest from college and bring him home for Thanksgiving!! So I go out to set in her and start the engine just to hear her run a bit and there is his little light on the steering column that shines on the ignition switch so you can see to put the key in at night!! 1973 now, right?! WOW!! I also have the Dart '73 original owner's manual! All of the lights work, there is a switch for a "Map Light" that one I have not figured out yet? I am rambling! I will get busy with pics tomorrow! More ground to cover with this old girl!

Mike

Here are a few pics to start with.

IMG_0328 (1).JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

I love it! My Dad didn't have vinyl tops, but it still brings back memories! Those bumperettes, and the tuck and roll seats, and yes, I remember the map light toggle, and the little key light. That key light gets hot, watch out, hehe. Great score. And I remember all stock, that exhaust at idle had a nice healthy sound (especially compared to today's silent six cylinder cars). I want one now!

I love it! My Dad didn't have vinyl tops, but it still brings back memories! Those bumperettes, and the tuck and roll seats, and yes, I remember the map light toggle, and the little key light. That key light gets hot, watch out, hehe. Great score. And I remember all stock, that exhaust at idle had a nice healthy sound (especially compared to today's silent six cylinder cars). I want one now!

You are right about the exhaust! It is a healthy little rumble for a /6! We had a 1971 (or so) Plymouth Satelite 318 automatic when I was "younger"! I remember the lug nuts on the left side with left hand threads! I thought that was really unique! This Dart has had the radiator, hoses, master cylinder and a couple brake lines replaced recently! I think I'll go out and fire her up! :steering:

Welcome aboard Mike, more doors are very cool and fun, miss my 72 Dart..

You are right about the exhaust! It is a healthy little rumble for a /6! We had a 1971 (or so) Plymouth Satelite 318 automatic when I was "younger"! I remember the lug nuts on the left side with left hand threads! I thought that was really unique! This Dart has had the radiator, hoses, master cylinder and a couple brake lines replaced recently! I think I'll go out and fire her up! :steering:
I used to stand behind my Dad's and just listen to it idle (it's a wonder I didn't get carbon monoxide poisoning). I was around 10. Totally stock, and man what a healthy sound. Enjoy!

I like it!
The only thing that i would do is remove the rub strip on the side and change the wheels to Rallyes or body colored steelies with dog dish hubcaps...........

I like it!
The only thing that i would do is remove the rub strip on the side and change the wheels to Rallyes or body colored steelies with dog dish hubcaps...........
I wish I could keep my 'rub strip'. Have not found one to match original (or really close) for my Duster. Keep the wheel covers and go whitewall!

Welcome I have a 74 and love it. It did have a slant when I got it! Check out classic insurance through grundy, cant beat the rates.

Speaking of exhaust, I left that off of the list of the items that are new or fairly new! I will compile a list of the problems that I need to address on her and get some feedback on which forum will be best to get some guidance
Welcome I have a 74 and love it. It did have a slant when I got it! Check out classic insurance through grundy, cant beat the rates.

Thanks for the tip on the insurance! I like the idea of the white wall tires with the original hub caps!

Okay, I have had the Dart for three days now and here are a few issues I have found so far:

1) Water leak in trunk near right lower corner of back glass. Need to get that sealed.
2) Spare tire flat.
3) Some vacuum lines under the hood dry rotted/missing.
4) Moisture (gas) around base of carb/top of intake.
5) Chrysler Solid State Radio does not work. No power?
6) Horn does not work.
7) Fuel gage does not work.
8) Brakes (park brake included) need checked & repaired (Front grabbing).
9) Power steering fluid a bit low.

Positives:
1) Fluids (oil, transmission, brake, power steering, anti-freeze) are clean looking.
2) Shocks look like they have been replaced fairly recently.
3) Interior in overall good condition.
4) Really nice shape for a 43 year old car!

-
Back