Next Phase of my Mopar Life

-
I started working on the 489 third member last weekend. I was told that the cone style third member had been rebuilt but you know how that goes. Besides, I had to tear it apart to change the gears. There were some marks on the SG unit that indicated that there had been a problem in the past.

1701517895538.jpeg

Rather than rebuilding the cone style SG I decided that it would be easier to just replace it with an aftermarket clutch style from Dr. Diff. He didn't have any listed on his website so I reached out to him. Cass said that he had sold 300 of them since September and that he had ONE left. I quickly snapped it up along with some 3.55 gears. They should be here by in a couple of days.

I've already sold the 4.30 gears that were in it back to the guy I bought them from. I'll probably try to find some cheap highway gears to add to the cone type SG so that I have a pumpkin to throw in for a long road trip such as Power Tour or a drive to the Nationals.

Last edited:
I have seen quite a few sure-grips with the pinion marks on them, they will still work fine.

I was all about posting positive comments until I read "vinyl top".

I was all about posting positive comments until I read "vinyl top".
Yeah, that idea got shelved. The studs that hold the trim on would mess up my paint (if I could find them). It didn't start life as a vinyl top car and it won't finish with one either.

Yeah, that idea got shelved. The studs that hold the trim on would mess up my paint (if I could find them). It didn't start life as a vinyl top car and it won't finish with one either.
They make studs that actually have a screw thru the center, so no messing the paint up.

sireland- Where would you find them. I thought about something like that- maybe with a nut on the back side

Interesting to know. Gotta a link? I will keep my trim wanted thread alive.

A package from Dr. Diff arrived today. My loving wife hauled it in herself. I'll drop it off at @VOETOM 's brother Joe when he's available. Props to Cass at Dr. Diff for sending another complete order at a great price.

DrDiff1.jpg

Did a small road trip yesterday with my buddy Gary and came home with a standard bore 340 block. The engine build is still in the planning stage, but you gotta start somewhere so I bought a block. Seller threw in the timing cover. Those are the only parts that will be Chrysler, everything else will be replaced. Stay tuned.

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3437.PNG

You are really moving forward quickly Brian. Interested to see what else you have planned.

Did you know the vinyl top was a copout/shortcut by the mfgrs? When molten lead was used to smooth the body where the sheet metal joined, that chit would flow and lay like mud in a creek bed. Very little finish work was needed. The health hazards of working with molten lead included severe burns. Bondo, the alternative body filler/smoother required too much time to finish plus the dust.
Then some wise guy says "Look here. Gluing a grainy piece of vinyl here will hide a lot of imperfections. Even if/when/where the 2 part filler wasn't mixed right, hardened too fast and cracked days or weeks later, the glue and vinyl has got it covered". Mfgr's jumped for joy.
I'm quite pleased, proud, and thankful for the American workers who made the sail panel seams on my 67 notch look as seamless/slick and any other part of the body.
Even though this thread isn't about my car, I'll go ahead and add this. I must forgive those line workers for the small imperfections where the windshield frame is joined (a-pillars) and at the backlight too. I'm the guy who placed a straight stick of stainless reveal molding beside those sore spots, thus drawing attention to them. The 67 didn't have said reveal moldings so absolute perfection of bodywork wasn't required there. Those 67 model workers didn't even need a straight edge on hand to work to.
Now I should add my comment which was previously reserved... DANG NICE MOPAR and addition to the FABO family.

Last edited:
^^^Readfish is so very correct. The vinyl top was a cost cut measure some smart *** right out of college thought up maybe!!!! Supposedly it was about making the car look like a vert from a distance, maybe... but I think it was about doing quicker and cheaper work like said, but all the car co.bought into it. Today,to find a vinyl top car that does NOT require a whiole replacement top is rare!!

I picked up an A body four speed and a factory Hurst shifter yesterday. Both need to cleaned and some TLC but should add to the driveability of the Duster. I bought them from a guy that took them out of his 69 Dart years ago when he put an automatic in to go drag racing. I've got some small parts to order from Brewer's but that'll give me a week or so to clean everything up. Hopefully, I'll get them installed in a couple of weeks.

fourspeed1.jpg

fourspeed2.jpg

fourspeed3.jpg

I can't make out the build date because the factory stamped VIN is partially covering it?

fourspeed5.jpg

I once bought a tranny like that that was cast iron it had numbers in the five something range and it was from 1975 one year only cast iron Overdrive...sucked..but better than alum one that the shaft wears out the housing..hope it's a normal 833..mine even had the dog bone on cover...love the shifter and ball...best of luck

So I was out in the garage cleaning the trans and shifter and I decided to try to shift it through the gears. I was twisting the input shaft and imagine my surprise when I figured out that there was NO OUTPUT SHAFT. I’m trying to get in touch with the seller right now to figure out what the hell he sold me.

IMG_3554.jpeg

Brian, sorry to read about your Dart, but I'm glad you're able to relive your past with the Duster.

I love the direction you’re going!

Where’d you pick up the 340 from? I need to buy another one…

Also on the transmission, I’ve been looking hard at manual transmissions but I’m to worried about getting the wrong one or something that doesn’t work properly.

I’ve been looking at the TKX swap, what made you do a factory 4 speed over some of the 5 and 6 speeds?

I bought the 340 block from a guy in Columbia, MO. I had a local machine shop check it out before purchasing. I wish I had done that with this transmission. Now I’m leaning towards my original plan of going with a Tremec TKX five speed. I already had a manual three speed in the Duster and thought that this would be a quick and easy answer.

I bought the 340 block from a guy in Columbia, MO. I had a local machine shop check it out before purchasing. I wish I had done that with this transmission. Now I’m leaning towards my original plan of going with a Tremec TKX five speed. I already had a manual three speed in the Duster and thought that this would be a quick and easy answer.

The tremec TKX is about 6k for everything to bolt in… it seems like a 4 speed is getting to be around 3-5k now days almost makes going 4 speed not worth it unless you get a super good deal on one or have one laying around.

-
Back