Nicks Garage 383 build

-
So...? The new valves caused no valve clearance? I find that weird. The pistons don't seem to be anywhere near zero deck and the cam doesn't seem to be anywhere near .500" . Not there to measure it so....Must be.

This is a great opportunity and I'm glad Nick is taking this approach with even making another video....Now we really see the dilemma an engine builder can go through. If we do this it costs X but makes power do this, If we do this it takes more time and $$$ and it does this, and so on and so forth. I see Nick asked for feedback no less than three times in the video, so lets hear it. How would you "FIX" this 383? And NO I'm not involved, I 've already said I don't do stock 383's, but then again this one is not turning out to be very stock is it? J.Rob

It’s good people can see how much bullshit goes on building this ****. It’s a great example of how easy it is to get buried doing builds like this.

Does anyone know if he actually degrees the cam?? Like Ramm said, those pistons aren’t .008 in the hole. Ray Charles can see that.

That cam isn’t big. It should clear the piston pretty easily.

Like I said before, I never see him look at a plug or even do anything but throw a timing light on it.

Without knowing what the curve is (maybe it’s locked out…if he said one way or another I apologize as I don’t watch all his stuff) before I ever pulled the heads off I would have looked at the timing curve.

God bless him for not being a quitter. I just wish he was more in depth about his tuning protocols.

The comments are really erratic, "Cut the pistons, Get new pistons, Bore it to 440 size, Get aluminum heads, Deck the block, Align hone the block, " etc...... One guy even said to build a stroker out of it...<<That is really the only thing that makes sense. So already Nick is talking about changing pistons....Well there goes the balance. Also talking about blowing the budget which goes hand in hand with building a stroker. Like I said--A stock 383 is not a great performer. This will be interesting nonetheless as I have lived it a few times. If he does go the ultra cost effective route and cuts the pistons in place--which I have done--It gets re-dynod and it barely any better or maybe no change? What then? I've had it happen. Or worse, new trick pistons are ordered and it picks up a bit.....What is considered victory here?

I know Nick asked the question as to what he should do... And what he should do is have a candid discussion with his client whom was already complaining about it was rebuilt and it now has no power... Nick should revisit the 431 he dynod that made like 490 tq...Can't wait for part IV. J.Rob

So...? The new valves caused no valve clearance? I find that weird. The pistons don't seem to be anywhere near zero deck and the cam doesn't seem to be anywhere near .500" . Not there to measure it so....Must be.

This is a great opportunity and I'm glad Nick is taking this approach with even making another video....Now we really see the dilemma an engine builder can go through. If we do this it costs X but makes power do this, If we do this it takes more time and $$$ and it does this, and so on and so forth. I see Nick asked for feedback no less than three times in the video, so lets hear it. How would you "FIX" this 383? And NO I'm not involved, I 've already said I don't do stock 383's, but then again this one is not turning out to be very stock is it? J.Rob
You quoted me, does that mean you’re asking how I would fix it? I would have approached this entire build differently and I probably would have said no in the beginning, these “fix it, it don’t make enough power” deals are a fool’s errand when the budget is as limited as this one seems to be. But if I did take it on I would have done a LOT more measuring and testing before a single nut or bolt was loosened from that engine. It appears to me that Nick is guessing at likely possibilities and he’s going to try each one until one of them gives him the results he wants, then say “I knew I could fix it”. Maybe he does that for content IDK, part 1,2,3,4 etc. Anyway, I won’t even venture a guess as to what’s wrong with it without having more info, as it would just be a guess. But I’d bet a dollar a turbo would work.

You quoted me, does that mean you’re asking how I would fix it? I would have approached this entire build differently and I probably would have said no in the beginning, these “fix it, it don’t make enough power” deals are a fool’s errand when the budget is as limited as this one seems to be. But if I did take it on I would have done a LOT more measuring and testing before a single nut or bolt was loosened from that engine. It appears to me that Nick is guessing at likely possibilities and he’s going to try each one until one of them gives him the results he wants, then say “I knew I could fix it”. Maybe he does that for content IDK, part 1,2,3,4 etc. Anyway, I won’t even venture a guess as to what’s wrong with it without having more info, as it would just be a guess. But I’d bet a dollar a turbo would work.
No I'm sorry, didnt realize I quoted you. Sorry. J.Rob

Its funny, currently out of town on a pipeline gig and Watching Just Mopar Joe talk about a 400 vs 440 dyno test hes done. J.Rob
I saw that.

For anyone that wants to watch.

I saw that.

For anyone that wants to watch.

Must be something in the air tonight but I really question a 3.38" stroke 400/406BBM @ 1.33 ft/lb/ci>>>Thats quite remarkable considering the sub-5000RPM tq peak. That's excellent cylinder filling. J.Rob

They aren’t sunk.
I agree. Normally, the margin on intake valves is narrower giving them the appearance of sitting lower when they actually are not. The exhaust have to have pretty wide margins to deal with all the heat.

Must be something in the air tonight but I really question a 3.38" stroke 400/406BBM @ 1.33 ft/lb/ci>>>Thats quite remarkable considering the sub-5000RPM tq peak. That's excellent cylinder filling. J.Rob
With basically a lower end e street head and very low (10:1) compression.

The 383 and 340 have very similar rod to stroke ratios. We don't hear people basically calling the 340 a POS. So what's the difference? And this is a serious question. Yall know way more about this stuff than I do and I'm trying to learn something.

The 383 and 340 have very similar rod to stroke ratios. We don't hear people basically calling the 340 a POS. So what's the difference? And this is a serious question. Yall know way more about this stuff than I do and I'm trying to learn something.
Then sit back and learn something. J.Rob

That 406 seems to be in the same ballpark as any 408 we generally see. Would of been nicer if the 448 and 406 had the same heads.

Just read back and no one mentioned about the new heads (that i saw) that they were cut .030... but still.. that thing has a tiny cam i question his P/V measurement more than the "sunk" valves

He gets paid for making these videos, so the more part # videos here means more views from folks like us which equals more moolah for him. Entertaining at least!
Would make sense if was getting millions of views per episode, 10s of thousand not so much.

Would make sense if was getting millions of views per episode, 10s of thousand not so much.
he's getting 100-300k per video which is pretty good.. plus getting sponsors like ktool now...

Welp... theres the 335 horse Road Runner engine then there's all the others....whats a 70s smog 383 make for HP 185?

he's getting 100-300k per video which is pretty good.. plus getting sponsors like ktool now...
From what I understand they make about an average around 5-7 dollars per 1000 views.

As I recall the aftermarket piston selection for the 383 isn't very good. Uphill battle for Nick I'd say.

-
Back