Nicks Garage 383 build

-
I believe the 69 ones were positive deck if my memory serves me correctly

I know quite a few of those pistons for this stuff had positive deck heights.

To get much compression ratio out of these pigs with OEM heads you must be deck positive.

I’m out .050ish on my junk and that got me a measly 12:1 although I could get more out of it if I had to.

So to your point, it probably won’t have the compression you need if the piston isn’t out of the hole. You’d be correct that a positive deck is a big deal.

I know quite a few of those pistons for this stuff had positive deck heights.

To get much compression ratio out of these pigs with OEM heads you must be deck positive.

I’m out .050ish on my junk and that got me a measly 12:1 although I could get more out of it if I had to.

So to your point, it probably won’t have the compression you need if the piston isn’t out of the hole. You’d be correct that a positive deck is a big deal.
I'm sure it is a big deal. Short stroke motors can be a ***** to get good compression from.

Why are you so caught up in compression, it's already been proven 700 hp can be achieved with 9:1 and a decent cylinder head. :poke:

Isn't cr mainly do to with cid vs chamber size. (@ tdc, gasket, pin height etc..)

Zero deck is easily attainable. Splittin hairs. I'm really not familiar with the HP engines. only enough to know they had tighter deck clearance than the passenger car engines. Were they positive deck height like the 340? That'd be cuttin it close with no valve reliefs.
The 68/69 HP was + .020

Lots of interest on this "383 on the Dyno" thread, 12,000 views as of today.

20240619_101031.jpg

Here is a stock 383 4 barrel engine. Start and run, for those that want to hear what a Stock Spec 383 sounds like.

Quick Start, Smooth Running, factory camshaft, 10:1 compression ratio.

☆☆☆☆☆

View attachment 1716264497

Here is a stock 383 4 barrel engine. Start and run, for those that want to hear what a Stock Spec 383 sounds like.

☆☆☆☆☆

I built a 383 back in 2002-2003 that the customer wanted an exact reproduction of the 335 HP/383 his R.R. came with. It made exactly 335hp/375-380tq. No surprises. J.Rob

I built a 383 back in 2002-2003 that the customer wanted an exact reproduction of the 335 HP/383 his R.R. came with. It made exactly 335hp/375-380tq. No surprises. J.Rob
What happened? You couldn’t get to the factory torque rating of 425lb/ft? You must be a terrible engine builder.
:rofl:

View attachment 1716264497

☆☆☆☆☆

273/318/383 threads generally get more views, it's pretty straightforward what to do with, 340/360/440 etc...most agree on what to do. Unlike 273/318/383 where a good chunk of peeps will say don't bother, than you got the velocity police saying you can build them but not very much etc.. There's little agreement on them.

Anyone ever notice that he uses the old blue Motor Manuals? I,m not saying they're not correct in all of their figures, but I would think he would use original Chrysler Service Manuals.

OK, here are the viewership specs on Nick's Garage YouTube channel

"Nick's Garage 383 Build"

20240619_185525.jpg

1970 383 Dyno Run Up
Part #1:
65,000 views, since airing 3 weeks ago.

Part #2:
91,000 views since airing 2 weeks ago.

Part #3:
48,000 views in just 2 days.

Numbers are showing it's a very popular multi-episode run of the Mopar 383, and has worldwide veiwership.

Screenshot_20240619-170552_Firefox.jpg

Very Popular, Stay Tuned

☆☆☆☆☆

OK, here are the viewership specs on Nick's Garage YouTube channel

"Nick's Garage 383 Build"

View attachment 1716264716

1970 383 Dyno Run Up
Part #1:
65,000 views, since airing 3 weeks ago.

Part #2:
91,000 views since airing 2 weeks ago.

Part #3:
48,000 views in just 2 days.

Numbers are showing it's a very popular multi-episode run of the Mopar 383, and has worldwide veiwership.

View attachment 1716264719

Very Popular, Stay Tuned

☆☆☆☆☆

Does popular mean good? Asking for my wife. She wants to know.

I wouldn't call those numbers being popular, A billion hours gets watched daily by over 100 million users, his channel has a decent size but small niche audience.

I wouldn't call those numbers being popular, A billion hours gets watched daily by over 100 million users, his channel has a decent size but small niche audience.
Ever party has pooper that’s why we invited you Party Pooper

Ever party has pooper that’s why we invited you Party Pooper
Why is putting it into perspective being a party pooper ?

At lot would be happy with his number's, it ain't a knock at him, I'm not a fan but I wish him all the best and more, but some seem to disregard any youtube video as a quick cash grab scams, but it's probably a slow tedious grind for most of these guy's, look at all the trouble and effort Nick has done with these 3 videos, for probably a grand in gross $$ at best.

Why is putting it into perspective being a party pooper ?

At lot would be happy with his number's, it ain't a knock at him, I'm not a fan but I wish him all the best and more, but some seem to disregard any youtube video as a quick cash grab scams, but it's probably a slow tedious grind for most of these guy's, look at all the trouble and effort Nick has done with these 3 videos, for probably a grand in gross $$ at best.

You are missing the whole point. The people viewing are actually interested in the content that he is putting up.

You are twisting it all around and it is going right over your head.

Get your hands dirty and find out what this is all about.

Nobody cares how much money Nick makes. They are car guys wanting to learn more about their cars. That's why they watch the videos.

Nick enjoys working on the mopars and he likes sharing his experiences and good fortune of being able to do it.

Screenshot_20240619-220457_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

You are missing the whole point. The people viewing are actually interested in the content that he is putting up.

You are twisting it all around and it is going right over your head.
What am I missing lol
Get your hands dirty and find out what this is all about.

Nobody cares how much money Nick makes. They are car guys wanting to learn more about their cars. That's why they watch the videos.
The people who trash/hate on most youtubers on here
Nick enjoys working on the mopars and he likes sharing his experiences and good fortune of being able to do it.

View attachment 1716264806

☆☆☆☆☆
And?

I didn't really say anything negative about him or what he's doing.

Just disagreed with your quote here.

A year ago this august I was Interested in the details of Nicks Kowalski build. So I emailed him, assuming he would get back to me in a month or so, But I left my number on his machine..

At 8:15 the next morning he called me, and we talked thru his engine build, as I had questions on which heads to use, wanted to duplicate his work, only on my 383 Barracuda. I also spoke to him twice more later. as a result I decided to use all melling parts for the build.
When I brought the parts to the shop, my machinist commented that I am finally showing signs of good judgement,,,,,HAHA!
Anyway, That says a lot to me about his character, and shows that he enjoys trying to help people in the hobby.
and he has never responded to all the criticism here on FBBO
He is a good man

I have no issues with Nick or Nicks Garage or the way the man operates... In fact the wife came in once and said " why are you sitting around watching some guy rev up engines...?" I do like seeing the numbers when he's done. I started watching him after Uncle Tony sent him that heap of dung 318 he built...

As far as the 383 I was just watching a documentary on the B and RB engines they were pretty much designed to be quickly built on an assembly line and make reasonable power/Torque for Chryslers mid size and big cars through the 60s etc. I'd say they worked for that. The Road Runner stock brand new did what 14 sec quarter mile? I think people forget its 1950s technology ( B engine introduced in 1958) that ran respectable in its day.

Last edited:
If the chosen path forward for the 383 in question involves something more serious than fly cutting the pistons in place………. I can see where “part 4” could end up happening a long ways out.

Quick question: If Nick's 383 has that little of exhaust valve to piston clearance and a lot of intake clearance, doesn't that indicate that the cam install is retarded?

-
Back