Nicks Garage 383 build

-
I’m a little puzzled as to why the “no frills” 440, making under 350hp with headers is okay, but the 383 making similar hp with ex manifolds is unacceptable
Me too.
All in all the 383 is making the power for the sum of the parts and Nick's tuning ability, which I question.

I watched a few other videos, and it’s easy to sit back and “Monday morning quarterback” the process.
That being said, there are often things that happen during the testing that make me scratch my head.

But you can’t take away the fact that he’s got a successful channel and a successful business…….so props for that.

Last edited:
Me too.
All in all the 383 is making the power for the sum of the parts and Nick's tuning ability, which I question.
I guess tomorrow we’ll all see how it turns out, but my thinking is………if someone is looking for a “significant” bump in the hp numbers from that 383, the owner is going to have to be willing to sacrifice some of that oem-like street civility.

But you can’t take away the fact that he’s got a successful channel and a successful business…….so props for that.
Agreed, plus I’ve met Nick in person and he’s a really nice guy and takes the time to answer any of your questions.

I'm just glad this isn't a "318" thread...:thumbsup:
1720456122559.png

so.. for a 318 to match that 383, NA, you would need what like 12:1 with trickflows and a cam that would make it unfun to drive?

230 cam (which ain't crazy big) and magnum heads equal 400 hp, I imagine with trick flows you still could hit 400 hp with less cam, which way is more streetable ? More cam less head flow or vice versa ?
That's basically my combo.. i need to get this damn thing driving.. buddy owns a chassis dyno.. i had no plan to do it but am curious now

That's basically my combo.. i need to get this damn thing driving.. buddy owns a chassis dyno.. i had no plan to do it but am curious now
You do and you'll be able to answer this question for us :) I have a feeling it's gonna work a lot better than most would predict.

You mentioned it, and now the floodgates have opened.
(Apparently there just aren’t enough 318 threads here to talk about 318 stuff)
Oh no...LOL! I haven't seen a 318 spat in a while... I figure since UTG and David Vizard et al completely shut up about it its a done deal...

230 cam (which ain't crazy big) and magnum heads equal 400 hp, I imagine with trick flows you still could hit 400 hp with less cam, which way is generally more streetable ? More cam less head flow or vice versa ?
*barely* equals 400hp

and a 230 cam in a 318 is what i'd consider nearing the ragged edge of street manners, especially if equipped with a single plane and big carb.

as to the TF & cam question, i'm not gonna open that theoretical box of pandora.

*barely* equals 400hp

and a 230 cam in a 318 is what i'd consider nearing the ragged edge of street manners, especially if equipped with a single plane and big carb.

as to the TF & cam question, i'm not gonna open that theoretical box of pandora.
yeah.. when i picked my cam i thought it would be very mild... wrong.. being on 109 didn't seem to make it any more pleasant but it sounds great :)

You think the 383 struggles a little torque wise besides intake and exhaust manifolds, is stock big block heads aren't known to flow lots of air and sure the port csa and cc are a little on the large size especially for a 383 that makes peak power at 5,000 rpm ?

The missing point of compression would be good for 25 foot pounds or more. lol That's considering a true 10:1 factory rating.
Factory hp and tq ratings are based on a blueprinted engine.

I don't know why anyone takes old factory power ratings seriously anyways.

I don't know why anyone takes old factory power ratings seriously anyways.
Do you know anyone that does.
Engines are kinda like women, no two are alike. unless cloned or blueprinted and even then......

*barely* equals 400hp

It depends on "WHO" is driving the thing. For "one of us" for instance, it wouldn't be a problem. But we have some on here who think driving a three on the tree is a chore.

Good episode Part 4.

Like the way Nick went about things, making the best of the parts at hand and not mowing over the budget.

Good street driving engine.

Screenshot_20240708-174817_Firefox.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

-
Back