Nicks Garage 383 build

-
I watched the video but I must have missed something. What was changed that necessitated the valve reliefs? The Bullet cam was reinstalled which didn't need valve reliefs, the block doesnt look resurfaced, the heads don't appear to be resurfaced, the valves don't look any different? Old Weaky seems to have picked up a bit of power--Why? Reading some of the comments it seems some people are under the impression the valve reliefs are the reason for the change in power. Was there other changes made that I skipped over? J.Rob

I watched the video but I must have missed something. What was changed that necessitated the valve reliefs? The Bullet cam was reinstalled which didn't need valve reliefs, the block doesnt look resurfaced, the heads don't appear to be resurfaced, the valves don't look any different? Old Weaky seems to have picked up a bit of power--Why? Reading some of the comments it seems some people are under the impression the valve reliefs are the reason for the change in power. Was there other changes made that I skipped over? J.Rob
They'd be terribly wrong if they think valve reliefs add power. lol I'm not even sure it would need valve reliefs with milled heads and or block. Duration is the biggest factor there, usually and if he didn't change the cam......

They had like .040 valve clearance and he decided that wasn't enough....

It's a weird video.. said he didn't degree the cam but checked it and it's at 107.. at the end of the video he said 106.... dunno... i mean 400ftlb would be ok for a driver with no shaking and quiet exhaust and all.. i don't see much to cry about with it..
Him saying they lied bout power for insurance was weird.... companies said they made less power not more for insurance

They'd be terribly wrong if they think valve reliefs add power. lol I'm not even sure it would need valve reliefs with milled heads and or block. Duration is the biggest factor there, usually and if he didn't change the cam......
So why did the power change? J.Rob

So why did the power change? J.Rob

They milled the heads .035 ths. to give it more compression. (10 to 1 cr)

Different set of cast iron heads with the valves standing up better than the heads it came in with. (906s?)

They used the .020 head gaskets too.

Heads came down closer to the pistons, so they cut the intake reliefs to be on the safe side for valve to piston clearance.

☆☆☆☆☆

They milled the heads .035 ths. to give it more compression. (10 to 1 cr)

Different set of cast iron heads with the valves standing up better than the heads it came in with. (906s?)

They used the .020 head gaskets too.

Heads came down closer to the pistons, so they cut the intake reliefs to be on the safe side for valve to piston clearance.

☆☆☆☆☆
Thankyou for the clarification, this makes more sense. J.Rob

All that work to go from what 380ftlb to 400? can you even feel 20?

In the 3rd video they pulled the heads and deemed the valves were sunk.
So they found some 346’s that weren’t suffering from that issue, reconned them, and milled them .035”.

Between the valves not sunk as far and the extra milling with the 346’s, he found the V/P clearance less than to his liking.

That’s when all the new piston talk started.
In the end, he did the logical thing and flycut the existing pistons.

All in all, I feel like he put forth a good effort trying to eek out some extra power.
15tq/10hp for that last push.
Best numbers I saw in skimming thru part 1 were 385tq/340hp.

The only way the numbers were going to show a big change, was to make a big change to the combo, and it was clear that wasn’t in the cards.

I still would have liked to see what the headers would do.

Last edited:
So they found some 346’s that weren’t suffering from that issue, reconned them, and milled them .035”.

Between the valves not sunk as far and the extra milling with the 346’s, he found the V/P clearance less than to his liking.

All in all, I feel like he put forth a good effort trying to eek out some extra power.
20tq/15hp for that last push.

The only way the numbers were going to show a big change, was to make a big change to the combo, and it was clear that wasn’t in the cards.

The 346 is a good casting. Some argue they are better than the 906, but I don't know.

20tq/15hp for that last push.

I think headers would have achieved the magical 425 ft-lbs he was chasing. Or at least taken it within spittin distance. Too bad he dislikes headers so much.

So far, part 4 is averaging better than 1000 views an hour(48k in under 48 hrs).

People must love a little drama.

I haven't watched Nicks in a while . I get bored with engines and mechanical stuff . The wife at one time walked in and said "why are you watching that old guy revving engines...? :)

I haven't watched Nicks in a while . I get bored with engines and mechanical stuff . The wife at one time walked in and said "why are you watching that old guy revving engines...? :)
My girl knows me way better than that.

My girl knows me way better than that.
My wife too. She likes shows like Roadkill Roadkill Garage since it is more entertaining and little funny. But can not take Mark Worman just to silly.

-
Back