Nick's Garage dyno's a 318 Stroker.

-
Nice engine for sure. But shouldn't a 10.50 compression big block with ported heads, 2" intake valves, performer RPM intake, 750 double pumper and .525 lift cam make 400 hp.... or more?

Nice engine for sure. But shouldn't a 10.50 compression big block with ported heads, 2" intake valves, performer RPM intake, 750 double pumper and .525 lift cam make 400 hp.... or more?
This 383 made 414 @5800. THe dyno pull is at 30 min.

That's basically the 400 hp recipe for a sbm, the 3 400hp 318 builds out there are similar spec's and a few 400 hp 360's.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I recently put my car on the chassis dyno to optimize it and see the difference between the 600 v/s Holley and the 700cfm Double Pumper I also have.

It's a 354 poly, 727 and made 341hp at the wheels with the 700 cfm and 334hp at the wheels with the 600. It was a filthy hot day, 90° by 11am and nearly 100° by lunchtime.

The dyno guy was very impressed - said it was a really stout engine, the factory 4 barrel manifold is holding it back in his opinion.

For reference the stock 428 Cobra Jet Mustang he ran on there earlier that morning made 290hp. That was an auto too.

I was surprised the power started tailing off by 4,500rpm, it's only a small-ish cam coupled with the factory intake. I do rev it 5,500 rpm though and it still pulls.

It's a 318 poly with a 3.58" Scat forged crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons 0.065 over, 10.8:1 compression. Poly heads with a little bit of porting, 1.94"/1.60" valves, Schneider solid lifter cam 264F (220° at .050, 0.450 lift). Topped off with a factory cast iron intake and an 1850 Holley 600. It's got headers, stepped from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4, 2.5" dual system.

Fancy that, an old poly small block making 50 hp more than a 428 Cobra Jet. Okay, it's not quite a fair comparison as mine is modified and the Cobra Jet was stock but still...
View attachment 1716157651

View attachment 1716157652

View attachment 1716157653

View attachment 1716157654

View attachment 1716157655

That's really cool! Kind of like an old school version of the 5.7 Gen3 Hemi, same bore and stroke with some "Hemi" heads.

Sweet!

Them early polys had heavy duty innards didnt they? How are they for revs can youi get 6 thousand sustained out of them?

No different than the LA components.
Yup, the blocks are purt near the same. It can be argued though that the Poly heads are better than the LA heads. At least that's always been my opinion. Chrysler ended production on the Poly for the same reason as the Hemi. Cost. They were good power makers.

Yup, the blocks are purt near the same. It can be argued though that the Poly heads are better than the LA heads. At least that's always been my opinion. Chrysler ended production on the Poly for the same reason as the Hemi. Cost. They were good power makers.
They were a great head design. Too bad they were so big. They wouldn't fit easily under the hood of the newly designed (smaller) 63 A Bodies.

I’m not sure why everyone is so impressed by this. I mean it’s a 390 cu/in small block that makes 1.03hp/C.I.
and 1.13 lb/ft /C.I. it’s not earth shattering by any standards. In fact it’s less then. And the fact that he keeps calling it a 318 when clearly it’s not is him just trying to make it sound more impressive. Which if it were a 318, it would be.

I’m not sure why everyone is so impressed by this. I mean it’s a 390 cu/in small block that makes 1.03hp/C.I.
and 1.13 lb/ft /C.I. it’s not earth shattering by any standards. In fact it’s less then. And the fact that he keeps calling it a 318 when clearly it’s not is him just trying to make it sound more impressive. Which if it were a 318, it would be.
A 350 horse 318 would be more impressive and pretty easy to do.

I agree. When you have to mod it that much to make the power it is no longer a "inexpensive little reliable 318 that makes gobs of power..." this reminds me of a fella 25 or 30 years back who used to run B and RB engines. Hed buy a car and yank the 318, sometimes 360 out and drop a 383 or 400 or 440 in. He'd call me and say "want this 318? come get it..." anyway we were talking once and I said "why dont you eve run the small block...?" he said "its not enough power..." I imagine all this 318 making power talk would amuse him now...:)

Last edited:
The Poly engine has the advantage of better pushrod angles as well, correct? Not saying it's a huge issue with the standard grade LA build, but people pay a bunch of money for aftermarket blocks that correct the issue so it must be worth something.

Pretty cool stuff to daydream about. In some ways, if I squint just right, I can see the G3 as more of a descendant of the Poly than the LA.

It makes fairly identical hp/tq @ similar rpms as the Mopar 380hp magnum create engine, it's got the basic sbm 400hp package on it. It would of been nice if he also ran it with headers to see how much the manifolds were holding it back. But overall it's just an ok build.

I have heard them Polys are torquey maybe not high revvers but they can get a mid 60s B or C body rolling and cruising.

Two words: exhaust manifolds. And we don't know much about the heads other than they're "ported".

I like Nick and his videos but know they're mostly for entertainment value. Most of his builds are decided by his customers. I think he's a good ambassador for us and the classic Mopars we all love. This video just shows what can be done with a 318 that many people discard or replace.

I have heard them Polys are torquey maybe not high revvers but they can get a mid 60s B or C body rolling and cruising.
My mother had '67 Polara 4 dr poly 318 when I was 16. If I put foot on brake and floored it one wheel tire smoke cloud without car moving. And it rev'ed pretty good too. I beat that car real hard when mommy wasn't looking and it never broke.

Nick's 390 seems to be down on power, I think the manifolds are holding back 10%

Back in 1982 while in Germany, a Brit that worked on base had a 1968 Bristol 410. Stock it had a 318 Poly with 4bbl mounted "Mid-Engine" behind the front wheels. Sounded wicked for a stock A engine. 8 3/4 suregrip with 2.94 gears

I had pulled a Poly teen out of a US Army 66 Coronet MP cop car in the "Property Disposal" yard. I had a 360 crank with the mains cut down to 318 mains size and had the rod's journals cut 0.040 offset. We ported the heads and did a lot of work on the 4bb iron manifold and both exhaust manifolds. Bored 0.060 over. Delta Cams regrind Poly cam at a 268 @ 0.050".
So basically a 357 Poly. Stock Torque Converter in the 727 Torqueflite.

That sucker was very quick. Full on Luxury Car with tons of power. Stock 318 went in storage as the car was very limited production, like less that 100 made. It ran the Autobahn at over 150 MPH too.

A bit over 1hp/ci for a mild street pump gas combo running a Hyd cam thru exhaust manifolds is pretty decent imo.
Nothing magic there though.
The only “318” part is the block.
Had it been built around a 360 block, I’d expect the added cubes would have yielded a bit more power.

Last edited:
Nice one NICK!

Just done a 323ci (318) for a Moparmate.
68 block, 66-273 closed heads with 360 valves, Comp 262 cam 470 lift.
Forged TRW slugs with an Edelbrock 360 fanimold with a 600 vac second Holley.

He asked me if it would make 300hp???

Maybe on a good day lol

Knew the haters would show up sooner or later.

-
Back