Nick's Garage dyno's a 318 Stroker.

-
They were a great head design. Too bad they were so big. They wouldn't fit easily under the hood of the newly designed (smaller) 63 A Bodies.
I've always wanted to build a 4" arm Poly. The 4" crank is a drop in. It'd be a tough fit in an early Valiant, but it'd make for one hell of a truck motor.

I’m not sure why everyone is so impressed by this. I mean it’s a 390 cu/in small block that makes 1.03hp/C.I.
and 1.13 lb/ft /C.I. it’s not earth shattering by any standards. In fact it’s less then. And the fact that he keeps calling it a 318 when clearly it’s not is him just trying to make it sound more impressive. Which if it were a 318, it would be.
And every time he said "318" he backed it up with either "4 inch stroke" or "390 cubic inches". I think some of yall would piss on a 400HP N/A slant 6. No, I know you would.

The only “318” part is the block.
Had it been built around a 360 block, I’d expect the added cubes would have yielded a bit more power.
As it should

And every time he said "318" he backed it up with either "4 inch stroke" or "390 cubic inches". I think some of yall would piss on a 400HP N/A slant 6. No, I know you would.
I’m not pissin on it. I just don’t understand the excitement. Thousands of engines are built to the level of 1hp/cu in, and it’s just not that difficult or impressive. Above, @PRH said
A bit over 1hp/ci for a mild street pump gas combo running a Hyd cam thru exhaust manifolds is pretty decent imo.

And i wholeheartedly agree with that statement and Nick should have titled the video to more represent what was being watched. I certainly think Nick keeps mentioning “318” to get people to click on the video. In fact it’s the headline in the thumbnail for the video.
422FB7E4-00FC-4FE3-9429-DF3D2249FD75.png

And there are threads here where I’ve commented on guys with impressive slant 6s, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. It’s the pandering for “likes” or “views” that I don’t like and that’s what Nick is doing as well as 90% of you tubers.

I think over 400HP and 400TQ for any small block WITH MANIFOLDS is impressive. I like it and I don't really give a chit what anybody else thinks of it.

I’m not pissin on it. I just don’t understand the excitement. Thousands of engines are built to the level of 1hp/cu in, and it’s just not that difficult or impressive. Above, @PRH said

And i wholeheartedly agree with that statement and Nick should have titled the video to more represent what was being watched. I certainly think Nick keeps mentioning “318” to get people to click on the video. In fact it’s the headline in the thumbnail for the video.
View attachment 1716159622
And there are threads here where I’ve commented on guys with impressive slant 6s, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. It’s the pandering for “likes” or “views” that I don’t like and that’s what Nick is doing as well as 90% of you tubers.
Hmmm, marketing deception to generate traffic/business, never heard of it...where could that concept be detected elsewhere in the real world.....:rolleyes:

Has anyone mentioned the total cost of the build ? 318 fans seem to like the fact that they are "cheap" . Lets say you start with a stock 72 LA 318 and want to build this build what does it take in parts and machine work? Im thinking it isnt cheap unless you have your grandfathers mopar junkyard and stash of parts laying around. Plus add in the cost of machine work and jobbing out reconditioning of parts. I just had a set of J heads redone last year it was basically $500. I probably couldnt sell them for that. I m just injecting a bit of reality ...:)

Has anyone mentioned the total cost of the build ? 318 fans seem to like the fact that they are "cheap" . Lets say you start with a stock 72 LA 318 and want to build this build what does it take in parts and machine work? Im thinking it isnt cheap unless you have your grandfathers mopar junkyard and stash of parts laying around. Plus add in the cost of machine work and jobbing out reconditioning of parts. I just had a set of J heads redone last year it was basically $500. I probably couldnt sell them for that. I m just injecting a bit of reality ...:)
Here's a bit of reality, you have a 'teener in your '72 Swinger, you start looking for a complete rebuildable 340 core mill & find out the asking price is 60%-100% the cost of a stroker kit for your 'teener......what to do what to do...if that 20ci is worth the extra $600-$1,200 to 'Ya Bud, more power(see what I did there) to 'Ya...

The stroker kits are pretty much a wash. Reconditioned rods or aftermarket are the same price for either way you go. Machine work for a Teen is no more or less than a 340 or 360 block. Heads can cost more depending which way you go and how strong of a combination you are building but Teen, 340, or 360, iron or aluminum. They cost what you do to them. See where I am going here? If a 318 is free and a 360 cost $500 and a 340 is $1000 that's where the cost savings comes in. Strokers aren't cheap to build even if your block is free. A standard small block overhaul isn't cheap if done right.

The stroker kits are pretty much a wash. Reconditioned rods or aftermarket are the same price for either way you go. Machine work for a Teen is no more or less than a 340 or 360 block. Heads can cost more depending which way you go and how strong of a combination you are building but Teen, 340, or 360, iron or aluminum. They cost what you do to them. See where I am going here? If a 318 is free and a 360 cost $500 and a 340 is $1000 that's where the cost savings comes in. Strokers aren't cheap to build even if your block is free. A standard small block overhaul isn't cheap if done right.
Yeah I see. Im thinking , at the cost of $500 for the initial investment for a rebuildable core 360, with the same amount of everything else the build would come out ahead in horsepower. Also lets say you have the 318 for free, as they usually were, then you have to hunt down a set of heads for a rebuildable core set, you are out about $500 there.Yes its great what can be done with a 318 but its a moot point these days in 2023. Like said the 500 spent on a 360, the heads are included, and youd need them for the 318 build anyway. Its not cost effective or practical just to be able to brag about a worked/built 318. The guy that had it will put 390 on the air cleaner anyway. It gets people talking though :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah I see. Im thinking , at the cost of $500 for the initial investment for a rebuildable core 360, with the same amount of everything else the build would come out ahead in horsepower. Also lets say you have the 318 for free, as they usually were, then you have to hunt down a set of heads for a rebuildable core set, you are out about $500 there.Yes its great what can be done with a 318 but its a moot point these days in 2023. Like said the 500 spent on a 360, the heads are included, and youd need them for the 318 build anyway. Its not cost effective or practical just to be able to brag about a worked/built 318. The guy that had it will put 390 on the air cleaner anyway. It gets people talking though :thumbsup:
Why do you always think so small, if I'm stroking it's big block 426 at a minimum. lol :D:lol:
I need a big bore to sink the valves in. lol

Why do you always think so small, if I'm stroking it's big block 426 at a minimum. lol :D:lol:
There's a guy on here doing a 400/426 and some people are giving him grief on that one :)
Can't win with some people.

Some people build what they have because it's what they have and what they want to do. Then some people don't have a life and have to run it down.

I've always been a small block A body guy. And that worked out back in the day when 383 was the standard. I had alot of reaal cheap 360s and free 318s come my way in the 80s and 90s... I eventually graduated to 340s though back when they could be found you may say I got into small blocks because they were "cheap" thats kind of why now, I can appreciate what can be done with a 318,but I dont see it as being practical in terms of cost. As an example I bought a whole 340 Swinger in 1993 for $1000 with spare parts . Even then it was a deal.

You are right about bore and valves, I also personally dont like the intake runners on 318 heads... too small. But there are many who would argue. It wasnt on this forum but Ive had a fella tell me to put 318 heads on a 340 to "up the compression" as though a 340 needs it LOL! There are all kinds on the internet LOL!

Last edited:
If you go back two videos back from Nick's 390 dyno video, he had a 360 stroker video, which came out to 410c.i. The 390 best pull on the dyno was 405 HP with 360 heads, RPM Performer intake and stock exhaust manifolds, the 410 made 425 HP with Edelbrock heads, RPM AirGap intake and headers. Both with the same Thumper carb, 20 cubic inches bigger, 20 horsepower more, makes that 318 stroker 390 look pretty good. I have heard to many times the 318 has to small a bore to make any real power, but the internet is full of people telling us how much power and how great 4.8,5.3,and 5.7 LS engines are with even smaller bores. Talking about bore size these internet heroes should really be hating on on the 302 Coyote engine, that only has something like a 3.5 inch bore and is probably the most horsepower per cubic inch naturally aspirated engine made in a modern muscle car.

what's most impressive to me is the power with the combination of parts. there's nothing wild, nothing exotic and nothing super high dollar.

if you have a clapped 'teen in your ride this could be easily replicated on the minimal cash outlay side of things when you're talking building a 400hp motor.

if you already have a 318, likelihood is you already have a 4bbl and an aftermarket intake, maybe even headers. scoring a nice set of pre-owned 360 heads, or even used eddies wouldn't break the bank and those are things that come up fairly frequently.

that cam isn't wild by any stretch of the imagination, and could probably benefit from a custom grind with some tweaked numbers. with the RPM cap they ran it at, i wouldn't doubt that pretty much any 4bbl dual plane would make the same, or very, very similar numbers. add headers and a little more tuning and i'd bet this set up sees an easy 425

what's most impressive to me is the power with the combination of parts. there's nothing wild, nothing exotic and nothing super high dollar.

if you have a clapped 'teen in your ride this could be easily replicated on the minimal cash outlay side of things when you're talking building a 400hp motor.

if you already have a 318, likelihood is you already have a 4bbl and an aftermarket intake, maybe even headers. scoring a nice set of pre-owned 360 heads, or even used eddies wouldn't break the bank and those are things that come up fairly frequently.

that cam isn't wild by any stretch of the imagination, and could probably benefit from a custom grind with some tweaked numbers. with the RPM cap they ran it at, i wouldn't doubt that pretty much any 4bbl dual plane would make the same, or very, very similar numbers. add headers and a little more tuning and i'd bet this set up sees an easy 425
@318willrun bolted some unmodified Speedmaster heads on his Duster I believe. 318, what did you have before and what did it run. How much increase?

@318willrun bolted some unmodified Speedmaster heads on his Duster I believe. 318, what did you have before and what did it run. How much increase?
doh! i forgot about speedmaster heads.

but again, the point is there are options on the heads that aren't a bajillion dollars that will still make decent power.

this setup is a great piece because it's totally malleable. add roller rockers, sure! here's 10hp. add a carb spacer and double pumper? why not! here's another 10hp! tweak the cam, pick up some torque and maybe another 5hp. go nuts on the heads? okay here's another xx hp.

doh! i forgot about speedmaster heads.

but again, the point is there are options on the heads that aren't a bajillion dollars that will still make decent power.

this setup is a great piece because it's totally malleable. add roller rockers, sure! here's 10hp. add a carb spacer and double pumper? why not! here's another 10hp! tweak the cam, pick up some torque and maybe another 5hp. go nuts on the heads? okay here's another xx hp.
Exactly. Send the heads off to @pittsburghracer for another 50+ horse.

I truly appreciate it but for now my winter list is booked solid. God and life is good.
This is how it is at just about any machine shop. Whats your turnaround? I had a set of J heads done last year, just rebuilt no porting etc and it was 5 weeks.

I truly appreciate it but for now my winter list is booked solid. God and life is good.
proof of good work done right, my man.

i'm solid thru at least late january at which point i should work on my own junk for spring fling!

a question, do you think there's an extra 50hp in a set of heads without drastically changing any of the other existing components and maintaining some semblance of driveability and street manners?

-
Back