Nick's Garage/UTG 318 Episode

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
We should all throw good spare parts at his mailbox and have 43 check 'em and wrench 'em on. I know I got a half a can of Gunk engine cleaner and a good oil pump kicking around....Heck, I got a set of 20 minute lifters if your really going junkyard build, used cam and all. I admit I put in a few swap meet cams on used lifters back in the day. Bro's Clevelands must be incredibly tolerant of cam/lifter mismatch! I always painted RTV on the sides AND back of the core plugs and almost let it dry. I never had a steel one rust out on me.

I don't get the "marathon build" aspect, what's the point of that? Nobody (especially someone new to the hobby) throws together an engine in half a day unless there's some extreme reason. When the build was first announced by UTG that part immediately had me confused.

I didn't watch the videos on this build (yet, haven't had much interest) but I followed along pretty closely to the "Bottle Rocket" 318 build. He flattened I think 2 cams, both from Comp with their cheap lifters, and instead of just getting better parts and keeping it a budget build he dumped a grand-plus into it for a roller cam and retrofit lifters. I wasn't too impressed by the way he handled that, it's like he hadn't built a Mopar engine in 20 years and was under the assumption that aftermarket parts are still the same as back then. However to his credit in the last video of him driving Bottle Rocket it sounded and looked to be running damn good.

He also seems to have done a great job with his budget daily driver 360 build. He took his time on that one and made a lot of videos detailing the finer points of a budget build like cleanliness and careful inspection of used parts to be re-used. This marathon build kind of undid a lot of that. Would have only taken him a couple extra hours to clean the parts before putting them together?

I must admit when I heard Nick say "no shellac on the cold plugs" I was shocked. I mean, I don't goop them all to hell, but I run a film of RTV around them with my finger. Never had one leak yet.
Tbh I thought the same thing and I'm a novice! I have learned alot in the last 2 years but I'm still a beginner. And I knew better than that. And that's not a knock on utg! I like the crap out of his stuff!

I would say it was the most entertaining video around, it shows what goes wrong
when you rush and are sloppy.

Very good point.
I’ve never been very fast at putting engines together.
And I don’t like to feel like I’m in a rush to get it done.

I am wondering now if they even have any way to clean parts in his "garage" UTG is actually a self storage unit he works out of. Maybe no running water there, dunno

I am wondering now if they even have any way to clean parts in his "garage" UTG is actually a self storage unit he works out of. Maybe no running water there, dunno
Yea he mentioned in one of his videos that the storage unit didnt have running water and they drove the block to a nearby water spicket to spray it down. That was the 318 they was building for the bottle rocket.

Yea he mentioned in one of his videos that the storage unit didnt have running water and they drove the block to a nearby water spicket to spray it down. That was the 318 they was building for the bottle rocket.
Brake Clean and compressed air will help get the oiling system clean.

I don't get the "marathon build" aspect, what's the point of that? Nobody (especially someone new to the hobby) throws together an engine in half a day unless there's some extreme reason. When the build was first announced by UTG that part immediately had me confused.

I didn't watch the videos on this build (yet, haven't had much interest) but I followed along pretty closely to the "Bottle Rocket" 318 build. He flattened I think 2 cams, both from Comp with their cheap lifters, and instead of just getting better parts and keeping it a budget build he dumped a grand-plus into it for a roller cam and retrofit lifters. I wasn't too impressed by the way he handled that, it's like he hadn't built a Mopar engine in 20 years and was under the assumption that aftermarket parts are still the same as back then. However to his credit in the last video of him driving Bottle Rocket it sounded and looked to be running damn good.

He also seems to have done a great job with his budget daily driver 360 build. He took his time on that one and made a lot of videos detailing the finer points of a budget build like cleanliness and careful inspection of used parts to be re-used. This marathon build kind of undid a lot of that. Would have only taken him a couple extra hours to clean the parts before putting them together?
It’s a shtick. It’s called a “marathon of failure”.

Jake

Very good point.
I’ve never been very fast at putting engines together.
And I don’t like to feel like I’m in a rush to get it done.
That’s good, I assume it’s because your reputation as a builder is on the line so why ruin that. Uncle Phony has a reputation of selling more than building and this installment of “spending other people’s money” proved that point.

Jake

I watched a UTG video that showed him disassemble a 318 and he was discussing looking over the engine as he was taking it apart, on a cherry picker, it was common knowledge stuff that he was saying so I stayed with it until he gets to pulling the crank out and he says, Well now I have to get this on the ground so I can pull the crank......WTF? I was done watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back