no engine info

-

demoman3955

Reaction score
another valiant was added to the stables,and it wont be home till sunday. looking at the vin number i tried to decode it, and the number for the motor is 0, which brings up "no info" on the decoders. anyone have any idea whats up with this? heres the vin. VH4109E141932 :wack:

Could the 0 be a C.....or ? There is no engine code of 0 as far as I know.

Here are the 1969 engine codes.

Fifth digit = engine

A - 170 1-1BBL 6 Cylinder "G" engine
B - 225 1-1BBL 6 Cylinder "RG" engine
C - Special Order 6 Cylinder engine
D - 273 1-2BBL 8 Cylinder "LA" engine
F - 318 1-2BBL 8 Cylinder "LA" engine
G - 383 1-2BBL 8 Cylinder "B" engine
H - 383 1-4BBL 8 Cylinder "B" engine (High Performance)
J - 426 2-4BBL 8 Cylinder "RB" engine (Hemi)
K - 440 1-4BBL 8 Cylinder "RB" engine
L - 440 1-4BBL 8 Cylinder "RB" engine (High Performance)
M - Special Order 8 Cylinder engine
P - 340 1-4BBL 8 Cylinder "LA" engine (High Performance)

At one time I had a 1968 dart GTS. If I remember correctly it had an engine code of "O". Which denoted "special order option". The car was a 383/ 4sp/ 8.75 We checked the numbers on the engine, and it was a Police 383. Now I could be wrong about some of this, as it was back in the mid to late 1970's, and I am going by memory, and at the time I was not into Mopars.

Could be a factory typo. It happened more than you might think. I was the 'check-in' guy at a car auction beginning in the mid '70s and saw quite a few weird vins, some even had a digit missing.
I believe the 'Hamtramck Historical' site has a section on mis-stamped vins.
Dallas

Maybe it was a special order with no engine from the factory. The dealer or customer could then put one in.... Hence the "0"...

Uh, seems like if it's a special order V8 they would use the "M" code they set aside for that. I would be willing to bet it's a "D"

well i actually got a chance to look at the vin tag now that the car is here, and it is a D .
they have had it wrong from the DMV from day one, so now all the paperwork that was done today now has to be corrected. its hard to believe were at the mercy of people that cant even get a vin number right.

-
Back