No Juice to Anything

-

bcseydel

68 Dart GT Conv. 340/727
Reaction score
The Dart just went dead pulling into a lot. Too dark to check it out but there is no power to anything. The soleniond will jump and crank but no fire. I tossed a new ballast resistor (glove box) in but no help. Kind of a pop then electric smell and dead. Electronic ign looked ok, no fried wires, coil was pretty hot. any ideas?
Thanks, c

The factory fusible link at the firewall has a harness connector that serves as a disconnect for everything in the cabin. To burn the link open suggests a short circuit in something before the fuse panel. Amp gauge, ignition switch, headlight switch, who knows. If you expect to simply replace the fusible link and carry on, buy 2 of them. You can start hunting the actual problem next time the link fails. Dont install a higher gauge fusible link either or you may get a fire in the cabin. Good luck

Thanks, You guys are terrific as always. The link was burnt and I was able to replace without too much trouble (I did buy two). I had to use the old clip connector, there was nothing close at Napa.
It is part of a larger problem. When I first got her going the bulkhead was fried at the alternater wire (pretty common!!?). I went with a single wire 60 amp alt and abandoned the the rest of the gauge wires using aftermarket digitals. I used a dremel tool to clean up the other two bulkhead connections. Its not pretty, they are loose and brittle. I suppose I'm lucky it lasted two years.
Why not just run clip connectors for the 12 connections left and the heck with a poor design?
Thanks again I appreciate the vast knowledge of members.
Its a good life,
Craig

-
Back