No oil coming up through my push rods.

-

B717

How wide is Home Plate?
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
318 motor just rebuilt in March did the whole Power Tour this year with it no issues. notice the other day a ticking noise coming from valve cover sounding like a bent push rod. Took off covers and found the #1&#3 no oil coming up. #5&#7 it's gushing out hitting the fender at idle. driver side no problem. any ideas thanks.

Unless it's a Magnum 5.2 the pushrods don't oil. The oil comes up through the deck, through the head gasket and up through the heads to the rocker shafts. Interesting that no problems until now.

Yeah no problems the motor runs fine other than the ticking noise. any suggestions.

?????? Yeah agreed if it's factory valve train. They get oiled through the rocker shafts.

If stock rocker arms, pull the shaft on that side and see if it may be plugged up, maybe not cleaned on the rebuilt?

318 motor just rebuilt in March did the whole Power Tour this year with it no issues. notice the other day a ticking noise coming from valve cover sounding like a bent push rod. Took off covers and found the #1&#3 no oil coming up. #5&#7 it's gushing out hitting the fender at idle. driver side no problem. any ideas thanks.
1-3-5-7 are on the drivers side.
Are you sure you have this right? To repeat.....IS THIS A LA SERIES OR A MAGNUM SERIES ENGINE ?
The LA series does not have oil passing through the push rods. The Magnum engines did.
I'll try to make this even easier for you.....Are the rocker arms on SHAFTS or are they individual ? If you have rocker arms on a shaft, that is an LA series engine and there should be no oil coming through.

Once again, missing pertinent information. Par for the course around here.

Yeah everything is clean motor runs no problem. My attention was drawn to it because of the ticking noise like if I had a bent push rod.
If stock rocker arms, pull the shaft on that side and see if it may be plugged up, maybe not cleaned on the rebuilt?

Rocker arms are on a shaft.
1-3-5-7 are on the drivers side.
Are you sure you have this right? To repeat.....IS THIS A LA SERIES OR A MAGNUM SERIES ENGINE ?
The LA series does not have oil passing through the push rods. The Magnum engines did.
I'll try to make this even easier for you.....Are the rocker arms on SHAFTS or are they individual ? If you have rocker arms on a shaft, that is an LA series engine and there should be no oil coming through.

Rocker arms are on a shaft and all my push rods have hole in them and oil comes out the top of the rocker arm which also has a hole at the top.

Rocker arms are on a shaft and all my push rods have hole in them and oil comes out the top of the rocker arm which also has a hole at the top.

Then you do not have oiling pushrods. You have an LA engine.

Sorry brother my bad I probably left out some important info.

No biggie. At least you were quick on the uptake and came back and clarified. More than most do.

The right side is lubed thru a timed oil passage. As the cam turns, the oil flow is stopped, started, hundreds of time a minute. The left side is not oiled the same way. So less oil on the right/passenger side. Edit: It seems I'm wrong....sorry.

Last edited:
trying to get some pics on here.

20170830_211910.jpg

The right side is lubed thru a timed oil passage. As the cam turns, the oil flow is stopped, started, hundreds of time a minute. The left side is not oiled the same way. So less oil on the right/passenger side.

Both sides oil exactly the same way. The left bank from the number 2 cam bearing and the right bank from the number 4 cam bearing.

Both sides oil exactly the same way. The left bank from the number 2 cam bearing and the right bank from the number 4 cam bearing.
OK, I stand corrected, But the left side always seems to oil better.

C
Unless you have pushrods with a hole in them and AMC lifters there is no oil at the pushrods.

As a second though as I've only seen it once...you could have turned a cam bearing.

CL-20-223-3 Comp Cam/Lifter Kit.
this is the cam that's in it rigbt now. I'm going to call the guy that built the motor tomorrow and pic his brain.

thank you all for the help.

You might pull the dist/intergear & preoil & see if both banks oil. turn the dampener to 90 deg (1/4 turn) before TDC #1 compression & preoil the pass bank (likely the dampener will have 3 partial slits in addition to the full one for TDC) or cut a strip of paper 5.694" for a ruler. then turn the crank to 20 degrees ATDC #6 compression (use the timing tab as a ruler) & preoil the drivers bank. 5/16 hex shaft in your drill

I took the valve covers of and started the car. right side of motor if you are in car oil was squirting out of the last four rockers hitting the fenders. The four front ones #2 & #4 no oil. seems something is blocking the oil on those.

The other side drivers side oil was coming out of all of them not making a big mess.

yes you are correct I meant 2 4 6 & 8

Alright, oil is getting up top on both sides. You might take off the right side shaft assy & see if the oil holes are plugged & clean it out & reinstall. EDIT I just saw your last post, is the right side completely dry or some of the right side rockers ain't flowing like the rest of em?

C

CL-20-223-3 Comp Cam/Lifter Kit.
this is the cam that's in it rigbt now. I'm going to call the guy that built the motor tomorrow and pic his brain.

thank you all for the help.

From my quick search it looks like comp is sending out AMC lifters for everything. I've seen some Chrysler pushrods with oil holes in them so it's possible you do have oil at the pushrods and the shafts.

What I don't get is why the front 2 cylinders are not getting oil and the rear 2 are. On that side the oil comes up between number 6 and 8 cylinders. Why it isn't getting to the other end of the shaft make no sense.

-
Back