No oil coming up through my push rods.

-
Ri
Alright, oil is getting up top on both sides. You might take off the right side shaft assy & see if the oil holes are plugged & clean it out & reinstall. EDIT I just saw your last post, is the right side completely dry or some of the right side rockers ain't flowing like the rest of em?

Right side does get oil just the last four rockers and comes flying out. The four front do not nothing nada!

From my quick search it looks like comp is sending out AMC lifters for everything. I've seen some Chrysler pushrods with oil holes in them so it's possible you do have oil at the pushrods and the shafts.

What I don't get is why the front 2 cylinders are not getting oil and the rear 2 are. On that side the oil comes up between number 6 and 8 cylinders. Why it isn't getting to the other end of the shaft make no sense.

That my dear Watson is the question of the night. Why I'm getting oil on #6 & #8 and is gushing out and the front are not.

As said end shaft notch down & to the rear (pass shaft) then pull/check holes/clean/reinstall. EDIT you have a certain amt of pressure (flow) there (8 bottom holes/maybe 8 side holes on some shafts) & if some are plugged then the rest will have more psi (flow).

You'd be right in saying the lifters have holes in them because 90% of the "mopar' aftermarket lifters are AMC design with a oil hole. Manufacturer can cover 2 lines with one lifter and generally Mopars have solid pushrods so the oil does not go through them but you can get them made anyway you want. Once again, your pushrods may be hollow as that is a somewhat universal design. Your shafts have a plug at the end, pull them and clean them out. Lots of stuff gets caught in there as well as the bottom of a hydraulic lifter as both are sort of 'blind'.

Yes, make sure the shafts are oriented correctly. The small oil holes in the shafts point down and towards the valve springs. Very easy to confirm.

make sure rocker shafts are oriented correctly, and the soft plugs are in the ends of the shafts.

I don't have any plugs on the end of the shaft. I'll check around tomorrow

They should be plugged on both ends like this:

SHADT ENDS.jpg

The stock rockers are bad about the pushrod cups wearing out. So much so that with too much more than stock spring pressure, the pushrods can even punch through the rocker arm cup. Might be worthwhile to remove the shafts and rockers and inspect everything really closely.

Oh, and if you do disassemble it, do NOT use the book spec to tighten the rocker shaft bolts. It is WAY wrong. They are only 5/16 bolts and need no more than 15 LB FT.

That my dear Watson is the question of the night. Why I'm getting oil on #6 & #8 and is gushing out and the front are not.
maybe because the engine sits at a slight angle, front to back wise. The rear of the engine is lower than the front.

maybe because the engine sits at a slight angle, front to back wise. The rear of the engine is lower than the front.

The drivers side no problems oil is coming up through the push rods and over onto the rockers.
:realcrazy:

The stock rockers are bad about the pushrod cups wearing out. So much so that with too much more than stock spring pressure, the pushrods can even punch through the rocker arm cup. Might be worthwhile to remove the shafts and rockers and inspect everything really closely.

Oh, and if you do disassemble it, do NOT use the book spec to tighten the rocker shaft bolts. It is WAY wrong. They are only 5/16 bolts and need no more than 15 LB FT.

Ok good to know I'll let you guy's know something tomorrow.

The drivers side no problems oil is coming up through the push rods and over onto the rockers.
:realcrazy:
but if the right side is installed upside down, the oil might fill up the rear of the shaft first. Hey, I'm just spit balling here. We're working blind here, you've got problems we're trying to sort out long distance.

I love it when people actually listen. Whether it's to me, or other good members giving good advice. These are the type threads that make the site worth while.

Unlike this trainwreck of a thread where the OP is as hard headed as concrete.

Why is my manifold vacuum so low?

Thanks for listening and answering questions, B717. It will only pay off in the long run.

but if the right side is installed upside down, the oil might fill up the rear of the shaft first. Hey, I'm just spit balling here. We're working blind here, you've got problems we're trying to sort out long distance.

Right. That's why I suggested removing the rocker shafts. ......and I think this guy is actually listening. I am almost shocked. LOL

Hey Brother I'll take all the help I can get. The car is running fine I took it on the power tour this year and ran flawlessly. I just noticed the other day that it was ticking like a bent push rod. so I took the valve covers off and that's when I saw the issue.

Hey Brother I'll take all the help I can get. The car is running fine I took it on the power tour this year and ran flawlessly. I just noticed the other day that it was ticking like a bent push rod. so I took the valve covers off and that's when I saw the issue.

You can check the pushrods for straightness by rolling them on a piece of glass, or other flat surface. A bent one will show op quickly. Also, look for blued or blackened metal parts. Hopefully, you will not find those, though.

Last edited:
possibly unrelated questions: 1, why don't you send pic of right shaft, since that is where the problem lies?
2, in the pic you did post, of the left side, why do the front 4 pushrods have white ring around the top end?

I tried to up load the right side and it won't and the rings around the push rods don't know either.

-
Back