No spark

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a 74 Dart sport 360 4 speed,I was out for a ride got on it real hard blew both belts off the pulleys and then I lost all power when I would turn the ignition there was nothing thank's to you guy's I found the ground wire on the battery post was cracked replaced it with a cheap 1 from o'Reilly's it now turns over good but now the fuel pump does not come on and there is no spark, I have checked all fuses they are all good it has a msd ready to run distributor with a blaster coil and the ballast resistor is bypassed how could all of this happened on 1 ride when it was running excellent what could this possibly be thank you Tom.

With the belt issue, could your alternator not have been charging the battery? In electronic ignition cars, I've seen where there is enough battery to turn the engine over but not enough to operate the ignition. Throw and booster on and it fires right up. Be sure the battery terminals and all grounds are clean.

Last edited:
With the belt issue, could you alternator not have been charging the battery? In electronic ignition cars, I've seen where there is enough battery to turn the engine over but not enough to operate the ignition. Throw and booster on and it fires right up. Be sure the battery terminals and all grounds are clean.
I was only a mile from home at the time I took the alternator in to be tested it tested good I then put in a new battery and that shows 12.9 volts this was all done after the ride.

Starter relay works
Power bypassed at ballast

So something/wire at the battery or near the belts that launched is broke.

This is just in case.
Other thing could be a coincidental timing chain jumped teeth on the over rev recovery decel. With a socket at the crank can you turn it back in forth and feel a decent free play feeling before the chain catches kinda deal?

I was only a mile from home at the time I took the alternator in to be tested it tested good I then put in a new battery and that shows 12.9 volts this was all done after the ride.
Well that tosses my theory out.

Is your ready to run the programable version that can adjust timing curves, etc?

Starter relay works
Power bypassed at ballast

So something/wire at the battery or near the belts that launched is broke.

This is just in case.
Other thing could be a coincidental timing chain jumped teeth on the over rev recovery decel. With a socket at the crank can you turn it back in forth and feel a decent free play feeling before the chain catches kinda deal?
When I drove it home it still ran good I just had to let the clutch out in gear to start it it was getting hot so I would get up on speed turn it off then let the clutch out again until I got home

If you bypassed the ballast, the coil wore should be hot. Unless the ignition switch at the key is toast. Jump a wire straight from the + battery to the +coil

Some coils are made to bypass the resistor, some are not. Might run the part number of what you have and see.

These pictures show the under dash of the through firewall connections, the 1 tan wire looks to by chewed on. and there was a plug with wires that came out from under steering column cover it was not plugged into anything.

IMG_20240624_104849.jpg

IMG_20240624_072853.jpg

This has got to be in the running for the worlds longest run on sentence. It’s difficult to read.

When I drove it home it still ran good I just had to let the clutch out in gear to start it it was getting hot so I would get up on speed turn it off then let the clutch out again until I got home
I bet you'll carry a spare belt after this, lol.
I have never tossed a belt on mine not in 15 years, but I got a never-used belt in the trunk, lol.

Go back to the battery and make sure it has at LEAST one small gauge wire, attached to the big fat negative cable on the terminal. One of those goes to the body ground, usually on the rad core-support behind the left headlight.
Make sure however many factory black wires you find, all of them need to be attached.

A picture could be worth a thousands words.

Go back to the battery and make sure it has at LEAST one small gauge wire, attached to the big fat negative cable on the terminal. One of those goes to the body ground, usually on the rad core-support behind the left headlight.
Make sure however many factory black wires you find, all of them need to be attached.

A picture could be worth a thousands words.
Yes I have that attached to the core support.

-
Back