No start.

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
I have a1971 Plymouth duster 340. I had it running a few months back. It was then sitting for a good 4 months till I attempted to turn it over. For some reason my brother took the battery(new) from it and threw it into his car. I had a spare Delco which was from a 99 Cadillac STS. As I attempted to start it , I got no spark. I had fuel and didn't foul the plugs. Stupid question I know. Is it possible that the battery from the STS(fully charged) dosent have enough amperage to give spark? Obviously I intend on buying a correct battery but funds are low at the moment. Thanks if anything.

Did any of the wires come off the terminal connectors? If the battery has enough juice to crank the engine over there should be spark. Might have to see if another wire came loose somewhere, doesnt sound like a battery prob to me.

I also had electronic box go dead in storage. Assuming its electronic ignition. If you check forums for wiring diagrams and test it is fairly easy to test through.

Ballast resister as in the 2 prong porcelain material? I did convert to electronic ignition(mopar) and for some reason no aftermarket ignition box even the one that came with the mopar kit worked. I put back yhe factory unit and it worked, but this was about 2 years ago.

are you positive its getting gas ? The fuel pump actuater arm tends to stick in the downward position.
A battery that will turn it ober should start it.

Ok , place a jumper over the ballast resistor. It'll start or rule that out.

if its been siting out side check your grounding areas like under your box and all the others.spray some WD40 on all the connections and the bulk head connection.would be the thing I would do..

I have had my duster where the battery was plenty to crank it over and not enough to throw spark. Put a charger on it or jumper cables. I replaced the battery and stopped worrying about if it had enough.

With ECUs or any electronic components , make those connections including chassis ground before connecting the battery.

Update. Added self threaded screws to both the ballast and ignition ECU. Both properly grounded and she started right up. :D we thank you all!

-
Back