No VIN # on A833 case

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 4 speed the other day, first one I've seen without some sort of VIN on the stamp pad. Warranty/ over-the-counter trans maybe?

20230213_183251.jpg

Guess I haven't noticed one stamped that way before, I was expecting it to be more like this one.

20181224_150109.jpg

69 was a 1/2 and 1/2 year for full vins. From there on up it's only Year/assembly plant/VIN #

It's probably a early one. My 66 doesn't have a VIN. They didn't do that until 68.

When did GM use an 833 Chrysler trans?
81-87 Chevy Pick Ups and Vans.
There's (2) different A833's as used by Chevy - one has the Mopar bolt pattern and requires an aluminum bellhousing (cast #15530202) which has both the Chevy & Mopar transmission bolt patterns. If you can find one of those bellhousing, it'll mount right up to a SBC and accept the Mopar transmission.

Build date on the first trans is July of '70, so that makes sense why it only has the partial VIN. Thanks for clearing that up.

81-87 Chevy Pick Ups and Vans.
There's (2) different A833's as used by Chevy - one has the Mopar bolt pattern and requires an aluminum bellhousing (cast #15530202) which has both the Chevy & Mopar transmission bolt patterns. If you can find one of those bellhousing, it'll mount right up to a SBC and accept the Mopar transmission.
Didn't they have a 10 spline input?

The thing a lot of people don't realize is that the pressure plate is a Chevy unit in most applications, too.

I think they did on some of them? Some were definitely a Chrysler trans through and through. I saw one in a salvage yard (in the bed of a Ford no less) and about crapped my pants thinking I'd found some rare Hemi box.

The disappointment was strong that day.

They changed, I've looked this up. Some of them were Chrysler spline AND Mopar bolt pattern, mounted to a Chev bell with adapter. I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of some bolted direct to a Chev bell with Mopar pattern, and I know there were some cases with Chev bolt pattern. I don't think all came with Chev course spine input shaft.

I put together one for a guy, was equipped with a "married" tail housing to a transfer case, and was an OD 833. I was amazed, hand never seen one like that.

Another little tidbit, and I dont' remember the year, some of the early 60s GM stuff was available with a FORD all syncro 3 speed, evidently before GM got the all syncro Saginaw deal going.

Mopar bolt pattern, chev input and chev rear tail

_12-jpg.jpg

Below, GM input, Mopar bolt pattern, and transfer case rear housing

a883-018b-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
They changed, I've looked this up. Some of them were Chrysler spline AND Mopar bolt pattern, mounted to a Chev bell with adapter. I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of some bolted direct to a Chev bell with Mopar pattern, and I know there were some cases with Chev bolt pattern. I don't think all came with Chev course spine input shaft.

I put together one for a guy, was equipped with a "married" tail housing to a transfer case, and was an OD 833. I was amazed, hand never seen one like that.

Another little tidbit, and I dont' remember the year, some of the early 60s GM stuff was available with a FORD all syncro 3 speed, evidently before GM got the all syncro Saginaw deal going.

Mopar bolt pattern, chev input and chev rear tail

View attachment 1716059590

Below, GM input, Mopar bolt pattern, and transfer case rear housing

View attachment 1716059591
I have an aluminum 2WD NP440 that I need to put together. It has a GM bolt pattern and will bolt to a typical truck 11" clutch bellhousing.

IMG_3399.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

-
Back