Noah's Ark? 1973 Duster leaking rain water in passenger floor

-

scottymabee

Reaction score
Hey folks
I just recently acquired a 73 Duster from Georgia....it's in great condition...a survivor I suppose....all numbers matching 318 auto/factory air. The carpet in the front had been removed and the padding as well. Only a few pin ho;es were rusted in the floor...that was repaired. We had a major rain storm here last night in South Western Ontario Canada and I found myself shop vac'ing about 2 quarts of water off the passenger side floor!!! Any ideas what to look for? The windshield has been replaced...and I used a small tube of "The Right Stuff" sealing around it anf the chrome trim already

Help!!!
Scotty

Wiper seals, the fresh air box is leaking or the cowl is rusted out.

Or cowl full of leaves and crap and it's overflowing the vent inlet.
There are small (1 inch holes between the cowl and the fender by the hood hinges that might be plugged up enough to cause that.
My car had a ton of crap down in the cowl so I ran water into it right down the intake vent in front of the windshield and used a section of wire to help things come out.
On the passenger side my car has a not hooked up vacuum tube controled smog part that had a fair sized hole under it so I got a wire in that way and rinsed with water also.

Ton of crap came out of there.

Wiper seals, the fresh air box is leaking or the cowl is rusted out.

X3
The best way to find a leak is a garden hose and 2 people.

Take the glove box out.
With no nozzle on the hose let the water slowly trickle in.

Pay close attention to where the passenger side wiper goes thru the cowl.
It most likely is bad and the repair kit is only like $14.00 and ALOT of cussing to fix.

You will find the leak.
If it leaks more toward the passenger side kick panel.
Remove the heater box then repeat the test.

My guess is clogged cowl drains. If you rinse all the crap out of those cowl drains you'll need to rinse it out again behind the dog leg section of the fender. One advantage of not having a rocker molding is being able to remove 2 fender bolts underneath and pull the dog leg out a bit to clear debris. Watch for fender shims falling out and put them back where they came from.

-
Back