Non-MOPAR tech question... My apologies!

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
I hate to waste my first post as a FABO Gold Member on a question about a non-MOPAR vehicle, but I've run into an issue with my truck. I have a 92 Ferd Ranger 3.0 RWD automatic. This evening I was filling my tank and when the nozzle shut off automatically I heard fuel pouring out from the bottom of my truck. I looked under and saw gas running from the top of the driver's side of the tank. I'm pretty sure this means my filler tube is toast, but I wanted a second opinion without having to pay for an official diagnosis if at all possible. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Once again, though, I'm sorry for the Ferd question.

It might be the rubber boot that goes between the filler neck and the tank.
I would check this first.
If it's split or has a hole in it, it makes you wonder what has been getting into the tank from the outside......water dirt etc.
I hope this helps.
Tom.

I've got 2 Rangers.No need to apologize for owning a Ferd.

Gas tanks are plastic and I've never heard of a fill neck failure. There are 3 lines to the tank, fuel feed and return and a vapor line. It would take an overfill for any fuel to run anywhere out of the top of the tank, but even with the auto shut off nozzle, overfills can happen. There's usually a bit of tank pressure in normal operation. Notice any pressure release when you crack the gas cap? I'd suspect lines, probably the vapor line, but you're going to have to drop the tank to check any of this.

If it turns out you have a leak make it easy on your self and take the bed off the truck instead of dropping the tank. unplug the tailight harness and disconnect the filler tube from the body. remove the bolts from the floor of the bed and put a saw horse behind the truck lift the body and move it back so it sits on the bumper and the saw horse. make your repair and put it back on.

Brian

Had to replace the filler tube on my 1995 Dodge 2500 diesel

The new CRAP they spray on the road for melting snow and ice eats everything, very corrosive, so it is possible

I ran into some problems finding the right filler hose. As usual, when I bought my truck 18 years ago, I had to pick the future oddball and get the one with the 7' bed. All the hoses I saw online were for 6' beds. All except one at Advance Auto Parts, but they wanted $180 for that one. So I went to my local Ford dealership to get the OEM part number. I found out the OEM hoses would be around $400 if they hadn't been discontinued. But I was able to cross the OEM part number to one on eBay for only $60. It's the same one Advance wanted $180 for. So maybe I caught a break. And I will definitely pull the bed off instead of dropping the tank. That goes without saying. Just have to pick up a T55 Torx bit for the bed bolts. Thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it.

I just can't win... I bought that hose yesterday because it was what I needed, it was a good price, and the seller on eBay still had 7 of them left. I got an email today saying that he had refunded my money and had opened a case with eBay to have the order cancelled because he was out of stock. Where did 7 of these filler hoses just up and walk off to? I'm done with dealing with eBay. It cost a hundred more, but I got one coming from a local parts store.

-
Back