Not a A-body,,,but an extremely rare mopar (* forest find !!!)

-
its great you want to save these cars. all the talk about value is mute as you will definitely have more in them they would sell for even if you do all the work. why does $$$$$ always come up.in these discusions? if someone wants to make a $$ retoring a car, they should buy a car they will bring the $$.after all that work a nd $$ has been spent. it costs NO more to do the body, interior, suspension, etc on a car worth $$ restored than one not worth much.
I bought a 70 charger rt that had sat on its belly ( no rear end or springs, sitting completely on its floor pans.) for I know 6-8 years. it had NO rust on pans at all. I could not believe it. and NO Missouri is not the dessert! ha good luck!!!

good luck with the restoration!

nice save and i'd like to see more pix also.

Congrats Valerian on your find, looks like you have the talent to ressucitate this
RoadRunner/GTX..........

If I may, I'll tell you a little story about another RR/GTX.......in the early nineties I bought a 1974 RR/GTX from a wrecking yard near St-Tite, Québec for 125$. A 318 ci was in the car but of course I knew it came with a 440 from the factory.

A Mopar magazine run an article from a guy in Livermore, California who owned a 1974 RR/GTX and claim to have documentation that only 79 RR/GTX were built in 1974. He start a registry for these 1974 RR/GTX and will send documentation to the member of the registry only. Of course, I send him copy of the broadcast sheet and the data plate BUT never heard of the guy anymore. It was before Internet and little I can do.

I later sold the car but keep the broadcast sheet and the data plate, NO interest for the buyer!!!!

Attachments

• CCI20151010_00000.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 531
  • CCI20151010_00004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 501
  • CCI20151010_00005.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 498
  • CCI20151010_00006.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 534
Here is some pics of the RR/GTX...........

Attachments

• CCI20151010_00002.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 533
  • CCI20151010_00007.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 509
I owned a 74 RR for a bit (traded the car for another Mopar) back in 2001/2002. Did not know about the GTX package and this one does not seem to have it, was a cool car in Yellow Blaze, black leather and a 440. Never drove it.

Good luck with the RR/GTX resto!

Attachments

• DSCN0930.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 496
  • 74interior.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 74BuildSheet2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 491
  • DSCN0933.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 509
  • 74 roadrunner.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 501
Maybe we can start a registry of ''EX'' RR/GTX owners..........LOL..........and we have documentation to prove that we once owned one..........

Sweet find! never heard of these so I pulled out my books.
Galen Govier book, looks like they made 11,555 of the Road Runners.
386 Road Runner GTX 440-4 were made and shipped to the USA. I don't have a number of CDN cars.

As for the 2014 price guide, 1974 Plymouth Road Runner 2dr CPE in #1 condition is $14,600.00. Add 25% for a GTX. she'll be worth $18,500.00 if you can get it there.

Not sure which code denotes CDN car, but I'm sure it is which would make it even rarer. hopefully you find the broadcast sheet!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

interesting numbers , but with the research that ive found only 79 roadrunners were gtx according to the dodge & plymouth muscle car by Peter c.Sessler ( the red book ) in 1974 , and 119 were made in 1973 , kind of funny that Galen Govier as other numbers ... and thats not even covering the C , canadian production numbers

That book had tons of errors, mistakes, etc.

That 79 numbers has been mistakingly thrown around for years because of that lame book. That book is about only good for the pictures. The text is worthless.

Wow im happy all these super nice comments...it will be a huge labor but still can wait to go get the 2 cars , not planning on saving the satellite at all but still can be an excellent donor for the rr gtx , it looks like its a bit hard the have the real numbers im not to sure but something tells me that in 74...not a lot of these big mean birds cam out with a freakin huge 7.2 liters , still must be a very rare package and color combo

Awesome find. Save the GTX. It's a rare car, worthy of being saved. I agree with the others, be careful pulling it out of the mud it might rip in half.

I'm pretty sure all factory 440 '73-'74 RRs were GTXs...

And I think they only made 79 GTXs that year.

A Mopar magazine run an article from a guy in Livermore, California who owned a 1974 RR/GTX and claim to have documentation that only 79 RR/GTX were built in 1974. /QUOTE]

Sorry, I make a mistake, I apologize to the guy in Livermore, Mr. Sean Chapman.........

I find the magazine after I made a comment. Mr. Chapman said that there is 386 RoadRunner built with the 440 engine and have documentation from Chrysler.

The magazine is Mopar Collector's Guide from may 1992, but, Mr. Chapman never send me documentation.

Here is the article in MCG......

Attachments

• CCI20151010_00014.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 474
  • CCI20151010_00013.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 464
  • CCI20151010_00008.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 473
Good luck with it. I've been liking these more & more since we had a beautiful black 340 73 Runner parked beside us at Moparfest a few years ago. That car was pristine. I'd be happy to have one myself.

Wow thank you so muchhhh for these infos... still thats the total numbers for production, still curious to know the ones shipped in canada!

Very nice find and I encourage you to go for it.:cheers: I think all of the old mopar muscle cars need to be saved because they aren't making any more of them and every year there are fewer and fewer left. Good luck with the resto.:)

That GTX looks like it was loaded. Is that rear wing original? I've never seen a 74 Roadrunner with a rear wing.

At a minimum......Get some chains or cable, 2 per car, about 4-5m long and jack the cars up carefully, and used the chains/cables and come-alongs to connect the lower front area to the lower rear area. The floors and subframe area completely rusted through and the floors have collapsed; that is obvious from the way the cars are sitting. If you just pull on either end, you're likely going to mess up the roofs and tear them apart at the A-pillars, and perhaps bust the glass.

If it were me, I'd jack them up in place, it enough was left, remove the interiors, and take along some steel tubing, a generator, and a MIG welder, and tie whats left of the front and rear together before trying to move them. I'll bet the floors and rockers are almost totally gone.

Can't wait to see lots of pics of the extraction from the earth, and your build thread chronicling the path from current state, to the path back to full glory by your proven skills reflected on the Cuda.

I more recently started a greater appreciation for these later body styles, and have been looking at these currently listed, sometimes at very reasonable prices.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5220010363.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/5202137837.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5240533109.html

Attachments

• 01313_aF9uu8J4Veb_600x450.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 394
  • 00l0l_jV5lufwogU2_600x450-1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 380
  • 00C0C_iN6vQ6cZhmM_600x450.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 380
At a minimum......Get some chains or cable, 2 per car, about 4-5m long and jack the cars up carefully, and used the chains/cables and come-alongs to connect the lower front area to the lower rear area. The floors and subframe area completely rusted through and the floors have collapsed; that is obvious from the way the cars are sitting. If you just pull on either end, you're likely going to mess up the roofs and tear them apart at the A-pillars, and perhaps bust the glass.

If it were me, I'd jack them up in place, it enough was left, remove the interiors, and take along some steel tubing, a generator, and a MIG welder, and tie whats left of the front and rear together before trying to move them. I'll bet the floors and rockers are almost totally gone.

If welding is a problem he might be able to bolt some flat stock between a couple of solid points. Even something link some 2" x 3/16" flat stock would do wonders to keep things together underneath if there's a couple of solid chunks of rocker or frame extensions at each end. Or just some 1" square tube with some landing plates bolted in as door reinforcements. Only problem with any of it being the availability of solid metal to connect to. The door bars would probably work best, but, only if the door jambs are still connected to anything.

For the OP, if you want some jamb to jamb measurements on the doors I could measure my '71 Satellite. Should be the same, that way you could pre-fab some door bars before the extraction and just bolt them in.

Can't wait to see lots of pics of the extraction from the earth, and your build thread chronicling the path from current state, to the path back to full glory by your proven skills reflected on the Cuda.

I more recently started a greater appreciation for these later body styles, and have been looking at these currently listed, sometimes at very reasonable prices.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5220010363.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/cto/5202137837.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5240533109.html

The first two aren't awful for pricing, but that '72 Satellite is more than 2x what I paid for my '71 SSP in similar condition, ie, running, drivable, with some minor rust and paint issues. Mine is also pretty highly optioned as an SSP, with a 383/727, power windows, power steering, power brakes, rear defrost, buckets with a buddy seat, disks, etc. Assuming the '72 is a Satellite and not actually a RR or GTX, but since he listed ALL of the models I'm assuming what he's actually got is just a Satellite.

My '71 SSP

IMG_5019_zpse6552fc3.jpg

We manage to took it out , was hard , was not pretty but still its at sitting in my garage for now , we gonna remove want can be saved first , and we will sandblast the body to see were we are going first , its a long term project but still , it can be saved !!! now its dissasemble time !!!

you are brave sandblasting! From the looks there wont be anything left! People are just dumbasses letting these old cars sit in the mud for so long. I bet there is nothing left under there. Good luck.

no theres nothing left under there , few inches of floor , in the rear , but we have to put it on solid beams and weld temporary re-enforcement to at leat have a floor or tubes to start with , the front engine bay and roof is extremly solid , remember no bondo anywhere :)

-
Back