Not an a-body but your opinion on worth...

-

va58

Restoration Jedi
Reaction score
Hey guys, posted this on the truck forum, but zero input, so I thought i would see if i could get a little input here. Ran across a 1985 dodge pickup, 4x4 318 with the factory wheels on it. Royal SE. With the Prospector Package. one owner. I know just looking at a few picks would be hard to tell, but what are these selling for in your neck of the woods in this shape?
Body is very close to rust free, yellow in color and in damn nice shape. would like some opinions on what you guys think this truck is worth 116,000 miles and I think valve stem seals are history. Smokes like crazy. guy is asking 2500 firm... I know that the 85 is the first year for the shift on the fly, and it appears that the common rust above the windshield is just starting. Anything that I should know about this year or body? problems? My gut tell me this truck is worth the asking price, but.... Thanks for your input.......

Attachments

• 85 dodge pickup 025.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 309
  • 85 dodge pickup 029.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 85 dodge pickup 030.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 296
Always laugh at "close to rust free"......my car, from the desert of CA was "close to rust free".....that is why it is back at my buddies place getting the lower quarters/trunk extensions replaced.......after it was painted. If rust is starting it WILL spread, hence the name cancer......anyway, sounds like a fair deal. Have not looked at trucks in a while though.....

Always laugh at "close to rust free"......my car, from the desert of CA was "close to rust free".....that is why it is back at my buddies place getting the lower quarters/trunk extensions replaced.......after it was painted. If rust is starting it WILL spread, hence the name cancer......anyway, sounds like a fair deal. Have not looked at trucks in a while though.....

I agree with the rust comment. There is a little bubbling around the windshield at the top where it is most common on this body style, but the bottom rear of the cab corners, and top of rear wheel wells appears to be no rust. The rust on the tailgate is surface only.The guy selling sez, 84 year old owner, garage kept. Thanks for taking the time to give your input....

I bought an 87 w150 4x4 long wheels base, 318 auto LE needs paint and a little body work on one bedside but runs and drives great and had new goodyear tires on it for $1500

I'm sure 2000 will buy it but its worth the asking price if it will pass inspection.the seals are more of a pain in the *** to change than hard to do.start low I think they are the last of the tuff ones.....Artie

I sold my '85 W150 with the original 360 4 bbl. with 33" tires 3 years ago for $900. I had it advertised for a couple of weeks at $1200 and 2 tire kickers came to look at it, then I lowered the price a couple of hundred and the phone wouldn't stop ringing, the first guy bought it. The truck had no rust, but some fender damage when a wheel came off on the interstate. The truck needed new paint and a pass. electric window motor, but that was it. I needed the extra space in my driveway, now that I have 10 acres, I wish I still had it. BTW this is in Oklahoma.

Also, The 4WD was engaged by a vacuum actuator on the front axle. NAPA still sells the switch on the transfer case, mine was bad, and instead of fixing it, I would directly connect the vacuum line to the intake manifold whenever I needed 4WD.

Here's the best pic I got:

Attachments

• rsz_dsc03422.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 297
that's what is great about this site. Thanks for all the input. You just don't see these very often any more, so difficult to gauge vaule. around here if you do see them they are trashed or a roofing truck....

around here if you do see them they are trashed or a roofing truck....
Strange how this happens. The clean cab corners is a good thing, did you look at the bottom of the doors?? By any chance is the rust near the windshield causing any water leaks yet??

Strange how this happens. The clean cab corners is a good thing, did you look at the bottom of the doors?? By any chance is the rust near the windshield causing any water leaks yet??

Bubbling at top of windshield is just starting. If it is though I think just pin holes. No signs of water damage or leaks. Yet... You are right about the doors, I completely forgot about that. No rust stains showing at door edges, or that would have reminded me to check door bottoms.

How firm is he on the $$$?? Guessing you would fix the bubbles or are you just looking for a driver??

2500 is a good price on that trk ive had 4 of them over the yrs they r starting to come into collectibility also that rust in the rain gutter needs addressed quick once it starts it grows fast i actually lost a roof skin off one of mine goin down the road.

How firm is he on the $$$?? Guessing you would fix the bubbles or are you just looking for a driver??
at this point of the game he is very firm on price to the point of the old guy getting pissed when during our conversation about the truck I mention an offer around 2 grand. Jeezz, calm down old fella, you might have a heart attack.. you could tell he was an old guy, because he didn't accuse me of trying to "lowball" him lol...
Yep, thinking I would redo the stock wheels and paint the sides and tailgate in the spice brown color and drive it. That mid 80's two tone. Take the cap off also. Thought it was a little unusual it had the chrome rear bumper instead of step bumper.

If he is firm on the $$$ guess you might want to just buy it.....would be a nice truck....

My youngest son tells me that if it's got a current inspection or the seller will get it inspected (and no reject), then it's worth more if no current or a reject for a daily driver. We're both in VA

A 1985 model yes! $2.500 for a 4x4 driver Dodge truck would be worth looking at here in my area.... These are some tuff and well built trucks that I see worked hard while the chebbies are setting at home for the farmers wife to drive.
These are the work trucks of the era, ask any rail road worker to our armed forces back in the day..

4x4 in good running condition is worth $2500 in Michigan. Body looks stellar compared to what we see for the same money. We're lucky though, because we don't have inspections.

I'm starting to think I must have got a pretty good deal on my 87 at $1500, and by the way mine has a chrome rear step bumper, I thought that was kind of unusual

They probably aren't worth as much around my parts but I wouldn't go over $1500 for it here.

From the pics it looks as though the body is pretty decent although there are trouble areas that don't present themselves unless close inspection. The rot above the windshield would dictate a possible long term water leaks that affect the cowl sides and may already be underway in rotting the floors from standing water. The body side mouldings can trap dirt and moisture against the body that cause rust if not checked. Inspect the wiring running underneath the box to the tail lights especially rear taillight wiring harnesses and sockets for degradation. Chrysler wasn't using the plastic wire tubing covering yet. Everything was tape wrap and the tape would dry out and turn to powder. The wires going into the sockets would just rot off.

The wing windows don't seal that well which lead to leaking. Check condition of the brake and fuel lines for rot. Axle fluid leaks around the hubs are common as are worn axle shaft u-joints and steering gear leaks. Make sure the 4 wheel drive engages properly in Hi and Lo and that the transfer case is functioning. Selling price has alot to do with whether the 4 wheel drive is functioning properly. If it isn't, you'll be sinking some bucks into those areas to get it back into shape.

I sold my 87 W150 in the fall of 07 for $1350. Got snapped up right away. Had 213,000 on it. Original 318 and tranny never rebuilt. Ran great. Had it for 18 years and just took good care of it. Body was in good shape with minimal rust, unusual for these parts. Rot box 4x4 1st gens around here go for 3-500, decent ones top out at 15-1800 although I've seen southern, rust free 1gens sell for as high as 25-3000.

Hard to find any decent running pickup in that price range today. Add to it the 4x4 the one I had was unstoppable in the snow.

I paid $1200 for a '83 Royale SE 4X4 with 113,00 miles on the factory 318 4V auto longbed with a 6" rancho lift kit for my son's 1st vehicle 18 months ago. Crappy gas mileage, but I thought if he gets in an accident, his chances of walking away are good. We've since put rebuilt 72 heads, headers and duals eddy intake and carb, carpet, stereo, etc. He graduates next month, so I'll buy him something for gas mileage, but I've come to love old Sheila so much, I'm keeping her for my 15 year olds first driver. Easy to repair and built like an anvil. Buy it, you'll fall in love with her.

A 4X4 is gonna be horrible on gas. Yeah, that makes it worth a mint. (rolls eyes)

ive got a 91 shortwide w150 4x4 318 auto i just listed in oklahoma for $2500 almost done with body work and about to have it painted. only gave around $900 for it and i drive it all the time.

I would buy it for $2,300... Tell him to cut you a deal because of the engine smoking, and for what you have to spend to be safe on the road, come with cash in hand. In Texas, I would buy it, fix it, clean it up, then list it as one owner truck. $3500, make a few bills on the sell, just for my time. I am just saying! Go for it!

-
Back