not X heads and not J heads...what are they?

-

71gtdart

Reaction score
short run down. at a gas station in my Volare wagon yesterday and this guy comes over to ask about the engine because it "sounded awesome". I tell him stroked 340 and he says he has a 340. he said he thought it was a 72 model but some guys had come to look at buying it and passed because they said it was a 73 model with small valve heads?

I asked what he wanted for it and he said it had an Edelbrock cam and intake on it with a 904 still bolted to it. said he would take $400 for it and the tranny or he was into guns and would trade for a rifle or shotgun. said it ran great when he pulled it out of his truck!

at that point I asked if he was sure it was a 340, and he said yes.

so I go over today to look at it and I find a 69 model 340 complete from air cleaner to oil pan. I look expecting to see X heads and I see nothing but raised "squares" casted where the X or J should be.

I have never seen these castings. are they 318 heads or something?

it doesn't matter because I ended up trading him a .22 hornet rifle that I had $200 dollars in. traded him even for the motor and tranny.

I would like to know what heads they are if anyone has any info. thanks

Take off the valve covers and look for the casting numbers. That will tell the story. Do them both, because there's no guarantee they're a matched pair.

yeah, I knew I could look at the casting numbers and find out what they are in my books. I don't have it home yet, and didn't have time to pull a valve cover. going back to get it tomarrow. I was just seeing if anyone may have seen the "wierd" raised square casting in place of the X or J, and knew what it was off the top of their head.

Tony, are you saying that info you posted should be what that casting will turn out to be?

I have a new set of Hughes prepped edelbrock heads that I would use on it if I ever did anything with it, but I just was wondering what heads I was ending up with.

Acting like I didn't get a good enough deal, and the heads have to be super duper prepped X heads or something for me to be able to come out to the good, lol!

Do you mean these...........

attachment.php

Sorry, just trying to help. I didn't gather from your first post that you didn't have access to the engine.

Sorry, just trying to help. I didn't gather from your first post that you didn't have access to the engine.

NO, I didn't mean it as a butthole response. thanks for trying to help. I just didn't have any tools with me and it was getting dark.

Yeah they are actually quite common on 1973 340's....they are 1.88 intake and 1.60 ex...I already did two sets of those heads....out to 2.02 on the intakes....work great....You scored for 200.00....good deal

oh, ok.

well, thanks guys I had never come across that square casting before.

thanks to you as well, Tony.

-
Back