Notchy steering on Charger

-

44070dart

How the hell did I get this old..
Reaction score
The steering on my '68 has a notch feeling in it. It feels like it hangs up for a second before freeing up. It has a new P/S box (Lares, junk) and all new steering suspension. Is there anything in the coupler that could cause a hang up like this or is it in the box.......again.

“Again”?

What happened last time and was it gone after the box was replaced?

Could be a lot of things, a bind in the idler travel, or a sticky ball joint in any of the steering parts- pitman, idler, tie rod ends or ball joints. Remember “new” doesn’t mean “good”. I’ve had Moog tie rod ends and ball joints be too tight and sticky, brand new and straight out of the box.

Again, is this is the third box from Lares. the first would not bottom out. It was about a 1/4 inch from being seated, and the second just was locked up completely. I know I'm a difficult learner, but to spend a grand on the high end box was something I didn't want to do.... should have.

Pump okay- belt slipping? That will give a notch feeling for sure.

SN: I’m not sure who Lares is but before I say “you get what you pay for.”
Was the rebuilt expensive or like $200

Again, is this is the third box from Lares. the first would not bottom out. It was about a 1/4 inch from being seated, and the second just was locked up completely. I know I'm a difficult learner, but to spend a grand on the high end box was something I didn't want to do.... should have.

If you wanted to eliminate whole bunch of steering stuff you could just separate the pitman from the center link and then cycle the steering linkage and steering box separately.

It wouldn’t quite narrow it to just the box, but it would be pretty close.

Pump okay- belt slipping? That will give a notch feeling for sure.

SN: I’m not sure who Lares is but before I say “you get what you pay for.”
Was the rebuilt expensive or like $200
Box was about $350 .. belt is tight ... I was thinking about the pump but how would you check ? disconnect and try and drive without P/S ?? I don't know if I have the muscles .. would go to an empty parking lot

Just wondering if your coupler is hitting a header or exhaust pipe. My coupler was hitting in four spots as it rotated due to the top of the coupler being rectangular in shape.

Check the right side inner tie rod and idler arm. I have had them rub on the headers/exhaust causing this notchy feeling, especially if you have grease zerks in them. I run mine without the zerks and just install them when I pump some grease in them.

-
Back