OD Shifter Linkage Issues

-

Triph75

Reaction score
I currently have an OD 4speed set up in my car (71' Duster 340). The shifter is a Hurst and came off a regular 4speed. The linkage does not seem to be correct for either application though. I have checked with Brewers and Passion on the 3-4 OD shift rod and they do not carry them at this time. Also the reverse rod makes reverse (to the left and back) instead of (to the left and forward). I guess I can make do with the way its set up currently but a spirited 2-3 will be difficult. Does anyone know where I can get a set of shifter rods and clips that has the OD 3-4 rod??? Or has anyone made a shifter rod?

As you can see from this photo from Vintage60, all the linkage is on the top of the shift shafts. If I'm not mistaken, if the 3-4 link is inverted so the rod is on the bottom of the shift shaft it should correct your problem.

Attachments

• 65 4 Speed 1 1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 194
Thanks for the pic, but I think I have the wrong linkage. I know about the flipped tab, but no matter what combination of rod/tabs I have tried nothing works. So currently I have massaged one of the rods to clear the cross member because it would rub when put into gear. Also the reverse rod is odd because like I said you have to go (Left and Back) instead of (Left and Forward). I tried to get a pic of my setup but its installed in the car and can't get a picture to come out that shows anything.

The reverse issue is because you have the lever on the tranny pointing the around way, flip it.

I used regular 4spd rods on my A833OD and had no issues setting it up. I later replaced the worn out shifter with a new Hurst Indy shifter that came with rods. This shifters rods had less bends than the stock rods and they worked fine too.

I will have to go through swapping around tabs again when it gets a lil bit warmer, but I am sure I have tried the reverse tab flipped around and the rod would not reach it while the shifter was in the neutral position. The 3-4 rod does not work when the tab is flipped upside down, it is at the end of the treads now with the 3-4 tab in normal position. Was there a rod setup close to the A-bodies, but no quite??

-
Back