OH ****! ARRRGHHHH

-

Ironracer

Gearhead
Reaction score
Okay so it was kind of a nice day here with the storm yesterday there's been very very cool breeze blowing in from the West I figured I'd turn around and take the car out around the block a few times. Well long story short drove the thing about an hour from Plant City here to Land o' Lakes with no issues today it seemed like it was hanging up in first and second (lokar) well following some cool stuff I found in here I put one of them her slapstick reverse lockout shifters in it underneath the console after my factory shifter just jumped in reverse on me, while the car was running, at an idle in the yard, TWICE, anyway, so I was attempting to up shift, Here's the Clincher( and this is where I need some help and advice)the damn thing went in Reverse and locked up 295-50s! I wasn't going horribly fast at all maybe 25 maybe 30. But I'm also wondering what kind of damage I could have done and what I need to look for and or what needs to be replaced (before I really screw something else up) next time I take it out and hammer on her. For some odd reason it seems like I'm hearn' like a dinging here and there, underneath there that I don't remember before.. but it's a good thing I had to different belts on my water pump cuz I swung one of them! She got a little warm but not too bad, I think that's just cuz water came out of something I don't even know how that happened. Much appreciation for all watching insights on this matter, hope everyone's doing well! Many Thanks!

We broke the pinion in our racecar (Toyota), the pinion fell into a "window" in the carrier and jammed solid, coming outta turn 2, hard on the gas.
Broke one axle at the spline, cut like a Lazer, twisted the other about a 1/4 turn .
Diff was toast .
Good luck .

We broke the pinion in our racecar (Toyota), the pinion fell into a "window" in the carrier and jammed solid, coming outta turn 2, hard on the gas.
Broke one axle at the spline, cut like a Lazer, twisted the other about a 1/4 turn .
Diff was toast .
Wow! That sucks

I am no help but when I was a teenager I threw my parent's 1970 383 station wagon (I think it was) accidently into reverse going maybe 30 mph as well. I was manually shifting the automatic shifter on the column (like an idiot). Don't know how I got it in reverse. Car came to a very quick halt! Pulse rate thru the roof on that one. Car seemed OK afterward, drove fine, and nobody ever said anything. To this day, I have never told anyone! So keep this quiet. : )

I am no help but when I was a teenager I threw my parent's 1970 383 station wagon (I think it was) accidently into reverse going maybe 30 mph as well. I was manually shifting the automatic shifter on the column (like an idiot). Don't know how I got it in reverse. Car came to a very quick halt! Pulse rate thru the roof on that one. Car seemed OK afterward, drove fine, and nobody ever said anything. To this day, I have never told anyone! So keep this quiet. : )
I won't tell ! Lol

Okay so it was kind of a nice day here with the storm yesterday there's been very very cool breeze blowing in from the West I figured I'd turn around and take the car out around the block a few times. Well long story short drove the thing about an hour from Plant City here to Land o' Lakes with no issues today it seemed like it was hanging up in first and second (lokar) well following some cool stuff I found in here I put one of them her slapstick reverse lockout shifters in it underneath the console after my factory shifter just jumped in reverse on me, while the car was running, at an idle in the yard, TWICE, anyway, so I was attempting to up shift, Here's the Clincher( and this is where I need some help and advice)the damn thing went in Reverse and locked up 295-50s! I wasn't going horribly fast at all maybe 25 maybe 30. But I'm also wondering what kind of damage I could have done and what I need to look for and or what needs to be replaced (before I really screw something else up) next time I take it out and hammer on her. For some odd reason it seems like I'm hearn' like a dinging here and there, underneath there that I don't remember before.. but it's a good thing I had to different belts on my water pump cuz I swung one of them! She got a little warm but not too bad, I think that's just cuz water came out of something I don't even know how that happened. Much appreciation for all watching insights on this matter, hope everyone's doing well! Many Thanks!
My dad did that on the hwy when a lady pulled out in front him in his 77 van, put in revere on accident (floor shifter) locked the wheels up and flipped on its side. When he got it towed home it fired right up and the trans lasted for a couple years after in another van.

ive done it a couple times @ 25 30 mph its a sickening feeling
no ill effects either time

My dad did that on the hwy when a lady pulled out in front him in his 77 van, put in revere on accident (floor shifter) locked the wheels up and flipped on its side. When he got it towed home it fired right up and the trans lasted for a couple years after in another van.
Glad he made it!

Diff was toast .
Good luck .
OWWWW
One of my CHP customers was bringing a perpetrator back to town to the county slammer from a notorious bit of I 15 to Vegas called Baker Grade. Long and fairly steep interstate wise. Perp reaches over the seat back and with his cuffed hands shiftes the Monaco into R. Let the Donuts on the freeway begin! :rolleyes: :eek::steering:

OWWWW
One of my CHP customers was bringing a perpetrator back to town to the county slammer from a notorious bit of I 15 to Vegas called Baker Grade. Long and fairly steep interstate wise. Perp reaches over the seat back and with his cuffed hands shiftes the Monaco into R. Let the Donuts on the freeway begin! :rolleyes: :eek::steering:
I'll bet he got his *** whipped for that!

Just go drive it & report back... It's probably fine, Torqueflites are tough..

I had a friend a lifetime ago that had a 67 Chevelle. 327 and powerglide. He did it on purpose going about 70 down the interstate. He locked the brakes down so it would make the shift, came off the brakes and stood on it and did an at speed Rockford turn around. He was one of those people who could just drive the crap out of a car. He shouldda been a get away driver. lol That transmission never said a word. It just kept on truckin.

I had a friend a lifetime ago that had a 67 Chevelle. 327 and powerglide. He did it on purpose going about 70 down the interstate. He locked the brakes down so it would make the shift, came off the brakes and stood on it and did an at speed Rockford turn around. He was one of those people who could just drive the crap out of a car. He shouldda been a get away driver. lol That transmission never said a word. It just kept on truckin.
That's Kickass!

I lost my brakes once in city traffic, a good 5 miles from home and many many city blocks. I used reverse to stop multiple times........ Trans never said a peep about it.
I blew a Brand New 11" scalloped clutch, outta my Dearly Missed and Loved '68 383 Magnum 4spd hardtop Coronet. Was Racing a longhaired poser pretty boy across the Gandy Bridge, he had a immaculate 67 Camaro 'vert. He was proud of that car( somebody's money but he damn sure didn't build it) pulled up talkin smack about the white roof and grey and black primer.... I waxed his ***! Drove all the way to Busch Gardens floatn' gears! NO CLUTCH AT ALL

Last edited:
I was up till 3:30 in the morning drinking right before my son was born in 94 putting that clutch in.... I took it back to the place that rebuilt it and they went ahead and redid it no problem no questions asked

Come to think of it it's kind of odd, I got this car not running, so I ripped the motor and transmission out, and put in my 340 stuff in BECAUSE some asshole tossed her
in reverse

-
Back