Oil filter adapter leak

-

remytherat

Reaction score
360 magnum. Oil filter adapter off of a ‘73 318. All surfaces cleaned well. New gasket kit. Copper washer. Torqued to 50 ft lbs.

Oil dripping from between bolt head and filter adapter.

What to do?

I don't think the LA and Magnum adapters are interchangeable. @4spdragtop knows about this, I think.

Thanks Rob, yep the adapters are different. I never knew until I installed one on the 340, leaked like my ring after spicy wing night. That's when I fired up the googling machine and discovered I had a magnum plate. Put an LA plate in and no issues.
[FOR SALE] - Magnum oil filter plate.
360 magnum. Oil filter adapter off of a ‘73 318. All surfaces cleaned well. New gasket kit. Copper washer. Torqued to 50 ft lbs.

Oil dripping from between bolt head and filter adapter.

What to do?

I don't think the LA and Magnum adapters are interchangeable. @4spdragtop knows about this, I think.

Oh boy, yes they are different it seems.

To be clear, I need a 90 degree filter to clear my exhaust. Below is the leak. Is there any way I can make the 90 degree work? Shim the cork gasket?

65731B53-B503-4893-AE4F-22C915E7716F.jpeg

Same filter for both applications, right? Anneal the copper washer. Hang it on a steel wire, heat with a small, hand torch, then quench in water or oil. A ferrous metal with carbon typically would harden from quenching but nonferrous is generally softer than slower, air cooling.

Last edited:
The adapter I used on magnum based 408 leaked as well. Tightened the crap out of it stopped the leak

-
Back