Oil filter, bellhousing brace conflict

-

Bob Jasinski

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So...my engine has not been running in over 20 years and I am working with a box of parts finding homes for them as I go along. I have 4 of the bellhousing braces, two different lengths. One fits fine on the right side as shown in the picture, BUT the oil filter has to be moved to the position shown. If I spin it higher, its too close to the exhaust manifold. My car body is not here, so I can't tell if there are access issues the way it is. What am I missing here? The brace fits and looks like it belongs there, but leaves no room for the filter to point down for access from below. I though that curve in the brace was for filter clearance but it won't clear.

DSC_6543.JPG

Thank you Dicer. Somehow I missed that thread, it didn't show up in my search. Glad to know I just need to drop it 10 degrees, and paint the bracket.

Once it's installed in the car it's easier to change the filter from above. I've never changed my filter from underneath the car on my 65 Barracuda. 65'

So...my engine has not been running in over 20 years and I am working with a box of parts finding homes for them as I go along. I have 4 of the bellhousing braces, two different lengths. One fits fine on the right side as shown in the picture, BUT the oil filter has to be moved to the position shown. If I spin it higher, its too close to the exhaust manifold. My car body is not here, so I can't tell if there are access issues the way it is. What am I missing here? The brace fits and looks like it belongs there, but leaves no room for the filter to point down for access from below. I though that curve in the brace was for filter clearance but it won't clear.

View attachment 1716113023
I point my filter downward just a touch to keep it closer to full. THey are supposed to be pointing backwards from what I have seen. I don't know if the 51515 Wix has a anti drainback valve or not. Those early A's are a messy pain in the azz to change the filter on.

273CMNDO.gif

Owned this car since April 2002, never knew that. I thought that picture was a preliminary drawing. Thanks Toolmanmike.

Once it's installed in the car it's easier to change the filter from above. I've never changed my filter from underneath the car on my 65 Barracuda. 65'
I don't think you can get it out from underneath.

Slight downward tilt.
I will say the brace is Chryslers over engineering.Unless you are going for OEM,
many cars with or without headers never re-install them. I for one.
I usually ditch the 90* and use the plate like the later small blocks.

IMG_2357.jpg

Last edited:
Slight downward tilt.
I will say the brace is Chryslers over engineering.Unless you are going for OEM,
many cars with or without headers never re-install them. I for one.
I usually ditch the 90* and use the plate like the later small blocks.

View attachment 1716113173

Darter6, Is this the adapter you refer to? Mancini Racing Engine Oil Filter Block Plate or Mancini Racing Oil Filter Adapter Kit
Does the adapter allow filter access from below and still fit with the bellhousing brace?

The kit #MRE2402103 is the right one . Yes you can R&R the filter from below. Still is a messy job.
Now this is just me but I run small filters. A NAPA Gold #FIL 1348 or any for a Chrysler PT Cruiser.
Same gasket and spin on as the older Mopars.OR you can get the PT Cruiser Turbo filter, It's a little longer but the width
of the case is the same. My theory is we car nuts change oil more often and never let a oil change go longer to cause any clogs
or problems. In the photo is the Turbo STP filter. Now that's just me.Been doing it for years.

The kit #MRE2402103 is the right one . Yes you can R&R the filter from below. Still is a messy job.
Now this is just me but I run small filters. A NAPA Gold #FIL 1348 or any for a Chrysler PT Cruiser.
Same gasket and spin on as the older Mopars.OR you can get the PT Cruiser Turbo filter, It's a little longer but the width
of the case is the same. My theory is we car nuts change oil more often and never let a oil change go longer to cause any clogs
or problems. In the photo is the Turbo STP filter. Now that's just me.Been doing it for years.

Thanks Darter6, appreciate the info, thanks for getting back. I may go that route.

I didn't think the manual trans cars used those braces, at least I've never seen them on one. Automatic only!

I didn't think the manual trans cars used those braces, at least I've never seen them on one. Automatic only!

I'm not sure myself. With an automatic, there is one on each side, the brace on the left side mounts to the trans bellhousing below the starter, but with the 4 speed, the bellhousing doesn't go below the starter, so no place to mount it. It fits on the right side to the 4 speed bellhousing though, so I'll have it on one side only, unless some other issue develops.

Every early A body V8 car that I have ever seen had a 90 degree adapter from the factory. There is a small rib on top of the adapter, and a rib on the side of the block. If you line those 2 ribs up, the filter will be ever so slightly pointed downward. That is how I'm aiming the adapter on my 65 Barracuda's 273. Never seen any braces on an early A V8 stick car. The filter adapter always pointed the filter backwards, and never down. It can't point down because it would hit the torsion bar. There ain't room to cuss a cat in an early A engine bay! LOL :BangHead: :realcrazy:

Im pretty sure with the filter straight back like pictured its going to be hitting the firewall to floor flange. I usually leave the 90° adapter loose and rotate it for best fit after the engine is in the car, and exhaust on.

-
Back