oil pan for 440 in a 1968 Dart

-

Dusterdan340

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a 1969 440 that was put into this 1968 Dart. The oil pan that was in the car shows a lot of damage from hitting on the K frame. I am not sure this is the original 383 K frame as the drivers side motor mount has been relocated. I am trying to find a new oil pan and pickup that will give me the proper clearances without the heat n beat process. I could go either stock capacity or maybe a deeper pan as conditions here warrant some ground clearance issues. The charts are no help at all for non production mods but I am sure someone has solved this problem. All input is welcome, thanks for your help.

Dart2.jpg

how about some pictures of the oil pan and k-frame motor mounts. if the mounts aren't located properly then no off the shelf may fit properly.

I used the Hemi pan from 440Source in my Duster, it required 73+ steering, and some persuading with a BFH to clear the idler arm.

does a C-body pan have the "divot" for the pitman arm? I believe there is also a different pitman arm for big vs small block. Good luck with the project!

I am using the 66-69 Hemi 6 qt (5 in the pan) reproduction pan and pick up with a summit 1-pc windage tray gasket assy. 6700RPM max, no issues. I also switched over to the 73-up steering components. Between that and the QA1 k member it is blissful to work on compared to stock k and steering components.

The C body 187 and 699 pans fit the A body with stock k frames and conversion mounts. I don't know if they would fit with the k frame you have.

Thanks for all the help! I will try to make this work with the existing K frame. I am prepping the engine compartment for paint and will also repaint the K frame and mounts, that will hide all the " mess " (yes I know) I ordered a pan I think will work from Mancini and I will update this post when I know the results. Thanks again

Thanks again for all the help. yea...that K frame may not be original but its been there for 40+ years with that 440 and the only issue is the oil pan clearance. The fender well headers are close fit but functional. Look at the old pan damage and the bolt holes in the pan to see that the sump has to be further back from the K frame. I think the 187 and 699 sumps are to far forward also, like my old junk pan. Then of course the idler and the center link clearance behind the sump. The new pan arrives tomorrow so I can get a visual at least. I surly do appreciate all the help and pictures.

Thanks for all the help! I will try to make this work with the existing K frame. I am prepping the engine compartment for paint and will also repaint the K frame and mounts, that will hide all the " mess " (yes I know) I ordered a pan I think will work from Mancini and I will update this post when I know the results. Thanks again

If it still touches , I`d trim the k frame , and re in force it if need be ..

The new pan arrived today. It is the Mancini Hemi pan that a couple of you suggested (Thank you) looks like plenty of space from the K frame to the sump and also plenty of room behind for center link. The old pump pickup also fits. Thanks for the input. Mopar to ya !

oilpan1.jpg

oilpan2.jpg

-
Back