Oil Pan leaking, one side only!!!

-

Tsully

Reaction score
Just put together a 360 Magnum and I completed a run down on my Jed Clampett Run Stand!!!

Everything is great with the exception of my oil pan is leaking while it’s running on one side only.

360 with a windage tray for a 360 (holes are slotted)

I put 5 qts of oil and one bottle of STP Oil treatment w/Zink (15oz)

At first I thought it was crankcase pressure buildup but, I do have the PVC connected and it’s still leaking.

I even pulled the dipstick out to see if that would help elevate the issue, it did help some but not much.

The Oil Pan was used when I got it and I checked it for war page and found no issues that I could see. I did mod the corners where it meets the timing cover as Magnums are different and no issues there, it all on the passenger side as you can see in the photos.

ECE29F93-0807-4081-8D8A-E0A66A4EFA87.jpeg

309366E8-1736-42A8-89D1-A3E9DC3733D1.jpeg

E97D55FE-E8CF-490C-8089-5E19EC545AAD.jpeg

B9AE22A6-48A2-477E-916E-1691011966CA.jpeg

I'm sure it's a photographic anomaly, but it looks like the pan is not tightened down along the rail

I'm sure it's a photographic anomaly, but it looks like the pan is not tightened down along the rail
Yes sir!!! First thing I checked was the pan bolts and they’re good!!!

I’m starting to think my pan maybe warped on that one side as I have no issues on the other side or with the front and rear!!!

According to my precise calculations in my personal thoughts which I highly value I would say it's a lack of constipation on the part of the passenger side oil pan gasket. This is what silicone sealer was invented for. Another thing is are your bolts too long on that side where the pan is leaking?

According to my precise calculations in my personal thoughts which I highly value I would say it's a lack of constipation on the part of the passenger side oil pan gasket. This is what silicone sealer was invented for. Another thing is are your bolts too long on that side where the pan is leaking?
No sir, all the bolts are pan bolts.

The pan gasket is Felpro with RTV smeared on it for good measure!!

Were the holes cleaned out?

Gunk in the hole can act like a a bolt that is too long.

Also there might be a crack in the pan along the bolt rail

Wetecthevholesxcleaned out?

Gunk in the hole can act like a a bolt that is too long.

Also there might be a crack in the pan along the bolt rail
Yes sir I cleaned out the holes even after the block was hot-tanked.

You could be right about the crack… that is the one thing I didn’t check for because I didn’t see anything out of line.

Could be one of those cracks that don’t show Up until it’s tightened down.

It does sure look like the front bolt is not as far in as the next, the one by the freeze plug also seems a little taller

Just put together a 360 Magnum and I completed a run down on my Jed Clampett Run Stand!!!

Everything is great with the exception of my oil pan is leaking while it’s running on one side only.

360 with a windage tray for a 360 (holes are slotted)

I put 5 qts of oil and one bottle of STP Oil treatment w/Zink (15oz)

At first I thought it was crankcase pressure buildup but, I do have the PVC connected and it’s still leaking.

I even pulled the dipstick out to see if that would help elevate the issue, it did help some but not much.

The Oil Pan was used when I got it and I checked it for war page and found no issues that I could see. I did mod the corners where it meets the timing cover as Magnums are different and no issues there, it all on the passenger side as you can see in the photos.

View attachment 1716073231

View attachment 1716073232

View attachment 1716073233

View attachment 1716073234
What is this? Magnum engine, LA timing cover, and LA oil pan?
What style oil pan gasket was used; LA with cork side rails that squish out easily and leak if RTV is smeared on them and they are quickly tightened?
Any chance the oil filter adapter plate is leaking? Is it an LA plate on a Magnum, which is said to leak badly?
Did the oil pan rail sit flat against the block with NO oil pan gasket installed, during mockup?

Loosen up the other side. You can't have a mismatch.

What is this? Magnum engine, LA timing cover, and LA oil pan?
What style oil pan gasket was used; LA with cork side rails that squish out easily and leak if RTV is smeared on them and they are quickly tightened?
Any chance the oil filter adapter plate is leaking? Is it an LA plate on a Magnum, which is said to leak badly?
Did the oil pan rail sit flat against the block with NO oil pan gasket installed, during mockup?
This is a Magnum block w/LA timing cover and an LA car pan.

Felpro Magnum Blue Gasket w/RTV that was let cure before torquing.

Magnum oil filter plate, no leaked there.

I did test fit the pan against the block before with no gasket before the install and found no issues.

Bolts are bottomed out in the holes that could have dirt in them or are to long.

All the bolt holes were cleaned before and after hot tanked. All the bolts are Pan bolts, however they were the original Magnum Pan Bolts.

Not sure if this makes a difference or not.
It does sure look like the front bolt is not as far in as the next, the one by the freeze plug also seems a little taller

I’m going to pull out the bolts on that side and double check for length.
Loosen up the other side. You can't have a mismatch.
When I installed them I did the same as I do when installing a head or intake.

I start in the middle and work my way outward, tightening each one until I feel it drag and then continue the pattern until I get them to the point of torquing.

Did you put the spacer/load distribution bar on?

Correct!

I’m thinking the used pan is the issue as I found seepage on the drivers side also!!

View attachment 1716073513
Where was silicone used on the gasket?

The Magnum gaskets do not usually leak from the sides, unless like others said the pan bolts are bottoming out or like you said something is wrong with the pan. Usually they leak from the front in the corners when used with an LA pan and that runs down the pan rail.

The corners are the only area that should get silicone and I always fully tighten right away since it is filling a gap. Here is another thread with pictures of the Magnum gasket and LA pan differences.
Magnum Oil pan/gasket fitment issues

Correct!

I’m thinking the used pan is the issue as I found seepage on the drivers side also!!

View attachment 1716073513
I was unaware the LA pans would work on the Magnum blocks. After this, I'm still doubtful. I'd be doin some research. Just because you saw it on the internet, doesn't make it so.

Where was silicone used on the gasket?

The Magnum gaskets do not usually leak from the sides, unless like others said the pan bolts are bottoming out or like you said something is wrong with the pan. Usually they leak from the front in the corners when used with an LA pan and that runs down the pan rail.

The corners are the only area that should get silicone and I always fully tighten right away since it is filling a gap. Here is another thread with pictures of the Magnum gasket and LA pan differences.
Magnum Oil pan/gasket fitment issues
I modded the corners and added extra RTV in the areas, no leaks at the timing cover or rear main.

All leaks are on the side, which after double checking the bolt length and some seepage on the drivers side in the same area.

I’m thinking the pan is off and just didn’t show up during mock up!!!

I did the Mod like what was in the article you pointed out.

I’m just going to order a new one and try again!!!

I was unaware the LA pans would work on the Magnum blocks. After this, I'm still doubtful. I'd be doin some research. Just because you saw it on the internet, doesn't make it so.
They do, but in order to use the One Piece Magnum gasket you have to mod the corners slightly and add a little extra RTV there.

If you don’t use the One Piece Gasket it’s business as usual on the old style gasket!!!

They do, but in order to use the One Piece Magnum gasket you have to mod the corners slightly and add a little extra RTV there.

If you don’t use the One Piece Gasket it’s business as usual on the old style gasket!!!
Is yours workin?

I need one of those. Did you post the run stand build?
No sir, it wasn’t me!

The toughest part was working out the starter mounts as I didn’t have an old bellhouse to use.

After I fabricated a bracket mount pretty straightforward from there.

It’s an engine stand converted to a run stand. I made so the front mount brackets can be unbolted and converted back to a regular stand when needed.

-
Back