Oil Pan leaks

-

Aspen79

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had problems with oil pan leaks on the 360 block. I have tried 2 different gaskets and still have a leak, I am going to try the milodon One piece gasket next. Have any of you tried it or any others that work well. Leaks at the front seal

oh yea - what pan are you using?
Have any of you guys had problems with oil pan leaks on the 360 block. I have tried 2 different gaskets and still have a leak, I am going to try the milodon One piece gasket next. Have any of you tried it or any others that work well. Leaks at the front seal

front?

that's a new one...usually the rear is tricky

are you 100% sure it is the oil pan ?
it is pretty easy to mistake a leaking oil sending unit for a leaking oil pan seal because it trickles down and often times the only place you clearly see the oil is on the pan

of course, with it being the front, that makes it a whole lot easier to look/feel around and make sure the engine is dry ABOVE the oil pan

yea, front - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-30755/overview/make/dodge - see the indents to either side at the front of the pan.. they leak. Even the Milodon once piece gasket requires extra sealant at these two spots..
front?

that's a new one...usually the rear is tricky

are you 100% sure it is the oil pan ?
it is pretty easy to mistake a leaking oil sending unit for a leaking oil pan seal because it trickles down and often times the only place you clearly see the oil is on the pan

of course, with it being the front, that makes it a whole lot easier to look/feel around and make sure the engine is dry ABOVE the oil pan

I used the Mancini oil pan/ pickup package. Couldn't get the front seal to stay in. Would pop out when tightening the bolts. Used the Milodon one piece gasket with black silicone in the right places. Worked perfect. No leaks.

I usually put the ends on the pan dry. Then use indian head to glue the gasket to the pan only. Put it up dry and tighten evenly. Never had one leak and can use it over several times. A little bit of ultra black in the corners. Never around the rubber ends with anything or they will leak or push out if made slippery.

I followed the directions (I know - crazy!!) - used the one piece gasket on the Milodon 7qt. pan that I mentioned above, I believe it said to "cinch down" but not tighten for 24 hrs.. so I got the pan bolts about finger tight and then the next day torqued them to spec - which I think was either 20 or 25 ft.lbs. Plan to re-install engine soon, so I don't know if it worked or not - yet.

..and now that I have said this - - maybe that was the intake...

I followed the directions (I know - crazy!!) - used the one piece gasket on the Milodon 7qt. pan that I mentioned above, I believe it said to "cinch down" but not tighten for 24 hrs.. so I got the pan bolts about finger tight and then the next day torqued them to spec - which I think was either 20 or 25 ft.lbs. Plan to re-install engine soon, so I don't know if it worked or not - yet.

..and now that I have said this - - maybe that was the intake...

Well 20/25 FTLBS will totally waste the oilpan gasket, the pan-rail,and either the bolts, or the block!

I highly recommend a 4psi crankcase pressure test. Then the soapy water bath will find any leaks. Contemplating re-doing the oilpan gasket,in-frame, with headers, is so disheartening.

Never one drip since I started using "the right stuff" everything - done with leaks . End of leaks and story.

-
Back