oil pressure

-
I had an engine that hit 100 psi cold start, then went to 75 warm...

I wouldn't worry about 100 psi, you definately will have enough oil in the bearings to keep the boundary layer lubrication...

Or the cup plug installed backwards from what it 's supposed to be, or it may be set in too deep.....
Actually the cup plug being installed backwards is more likely. That is what I was thinking when I said 'piston in backwards'.

The OP may want to try another gauge first; a lot easier. Ooops, I see he is going there.

I wouldn't worry about 100 psi
I would.... I've had 2 separate problems on 2 different engines with this levels of oil pressure. One blew the filter gasket out. The other overpumped the oil into the head and seized the main bearings. (The latter was not an SBM with the oil 'interruptor' system to the rockers, so would be a lot more susceptible to pumping the sump dry.)

If the OP is having 100 psi in the system at 1500 RPM with 30W, the relief valve is definitely NOT working. But the pump gear clearances are good!

Last edited:
I would.... I've had 2 separate problems with this levels of oil pressure. One blew the filter gasket out. The other overpumped the oil into the head and seized the main bearings. (The latter was not an SBM with the oil 'interruptor' system to the rockers, so would be a lot more susceptible to pumping the sump dry.)

If the OP is having 100 psi in the system at 1500 RPM with 30W, the relief valve is definitely NOT working. But the pump gear clearances are good!

One issue is, we do not know how much pressure is actually in there if the gauge is pegged and incapable of telling...

My engine that had 100 PSI ran many many miles with no problem... As stated earlier, it would drop down to 75 when warm....

Problem is solved. I put a mechanical
gage on and it shows 65lbs at cold start.
Thanks to everyone that answered.

Well thank you for sharing your issue with us and open yourself up to the usual ridicule and craziness most won't. But most of all for sharing how you got it fixed. I've been noticing a lot lately weird (not you of course), but some people are posting their problems getting answers to their problems and we never get to find out if it worked or not.
so thank you . ..

Problem is solved. I put a mechanical
gage on and it shows 65lbs at cold start.
Thanks to everyone that answered.

-
Back