Oil pump issues....

-

FastAFinTX

Reaction score
I have a 408 stroker from a 1978 360 block. My problem I am running into, is that the multiple Melling oil pumps I have tried, are not clearenced for ARP rod bolts and touching the main cap bolt. This causes the oil pump to sit ****-eyed and a gap where the two pieces (main cap and oil pump are machined) come together. I have talked to Mancini and Hughes Engines, and no one seems to have ever run into this. Has anyone seen this before? I bought the engine second hand from the original owner and after having it freshened up during the off-season. He ran it for over 17 years and was freshened up every couple of years.

20221022_110835.jpg

BS they have never heard of this.
Either mill the pump housing or grind it for the clearance you need.

Remove washer as mentioned, use a thinner one if that makes it clear or just clearance the pump body as needed. No big deal. Really. Bolt-on out of the box is a fantasy sometimes.

Common problem. Do a search, you'll see. They know dang well about it as several members have told them and I'm sure lots of others who've run into the issue. What's wrong with the stock bolt?

BS they have never heard of this.
Either mill the pump housing or grind it for the clearance you need.
Likely because people assembling a block do as you mention: clearance the pump.....or as many might say: simply figure it out.

I'm trying to get my head around why an ARP fastener is even needed there? Are those who use it going to subject their oil pumps to serious impacts? Inquiring minds wanna know.

I'm trying to get my head around why an ARP fastener is even needed there? Are those who use it going to subject their oil pumps to serious impacts? Inquiring minds wanna know.
It's the main cap bolt not the oil pump bolt.

It's the main cap bolt not the oil pump bolt.
Thanks for clearin that up. You know I'm half blind. lol

I still make the same point though. What's wrong with the stock main bolts? lol

The head of that bolt has already been trimmed , simply remove the washer

If all you do is eliminate the washer, make damn sure the bolt isn't too long.
Most of the kits I've used include the washers for 318 (and I suppose 273) applications, they use a slightly shorter bolt. 340/360 are used without washers.
But absolutely check that they're not bottoming out.

I find this a LOT with ARP bolts/studs. Too long or some other problem.

Common problem. Do a search, you'll see. They know dang well about it as several members have told them and I'm sure lots of others who've run into the issue. What's wrong with the stock bolt?
The ARP main bolts were already installed. I bought it running.

-
Back