Oil zddp ?

-
And I'll say 30 + years of flat tappet cams in probably over 40 small block mopars alone (not counting big block mopars, slant 6's, and several brand X's) and NEVER lost a cam.... I'll keep doing what works!
Lots of good ways to protect that cam....... pick your own, but be careful when you discredit another persons way :)

Last edited:
lol, are you a chemist...

No, but i can bake a god damned cake.

I'm an adult. An adult human being.

These are pre-made mixes we are talking about... not a chemistry set.

If you can make brownies, you can mix oil. These zinc heavy oils are not premade for your specific motor anyways...

lol, are you a chemist...

No, but i can bake a god damned cake.

I'm an adult. An adult human being.

These are pre-made mixes we are talking about... not a chemistry set.

If you can make brownies, you can mix oil. These zinc heavy oils are not premade for your specific motor anyways...
Well, if your going to pour the little 8 oz. container of ZDDP in the valve cover, then pour your oil in afterwards hoping the most of it washes down in the pan, it might be a good thing they sell it already premixed.... and some peoples engine builders know their customers capabilities in the Lab...... LOL (teasing ya, roccodart440 :poke:)

Oil jug? If you don't buy oil in 4 or 5 quart jugs you can always rinse out a gallon milk jug. I have a 6 quart oil measure with a flex spout that works well. Pour in the additive and stir or pour a couple quarts in and then the zddp and add the other 3 quarts. I doubt the cam will go flat or the engine fail if the additive isn't completely mixed right away. No rocket science here.
I use these for blending seasonal oil as well as well as mixing zddp and blending orphan jugs with 1 or 2 qts. in them. I just put a piece of blue painters tape indicating the mixe ie 7W35 or whatever. I get them free at work and they hold 2.5 gallons. Much easier than the old gallon jugs that cant be easily seen through. The neighbors seem to like them!

WP_20161206_19_14_26_Pro.jpg

I use these for blending seasonal oil as well as well as mixing zddp and blending orphan jugs with 1 or 2 qts. in them. I just put a piece of blue painters tape indicating the mixe ie 7W35 or whatever. I get them free at work and they hold 2.5 gallons. Much easier than the old gallon jugs that cant be easily seen through. The neighbors seem to like them!

View attachment 1714995759

Got to say if you are going the additive route I like this method of mixing them up first.

3 simple steps:
1. - Just open a 5 qrt jug of QS Defy from walmart and pour the ZDDP Maxx into it.
2. - Put the cap back on and shake it.
3. - Pour it into the engine.

Presto! you now have flat tappet cam friendly oil.

Well, if your going to pour the little 8 oz. container of ZDDP in the valve cover, then pour your oil in afterwards hoping the most of it washes down in the pan, it might be a good thing they sell it already premixed....

Where do you think the 8 oz. ZDDP could go, that 256 oz. of oil poured in the same opening won't get to it and carry it to the pan?

Where do you think the 8 oz. ZDDP could go, that 256 oz. of oil poured in the same opening won't get to it and carry it to the pan?
It takes about 10 seconds it takes to pour it in the oil, or about 10 seconds to pour it in the valve cover. Only 10 seconds it takes to shake it up, I think I'll go ahead and pour it in the oil, ya know, pre-mix? 10 extra seconds... C'mon, man!

It takes about 10 seconds it takes to pour it in the oil, or about 10 seconds to pour it in the valve cover. Only 10 seconds it takes to shake it up, I think I'll go ahead and pour it in the oil, ya know, pre-mix? 10 extra seconds... C'mon, man!

I do the same thing...been doing it for years and years....You will not convince anyone to change their ways...Just like they will not convince me to buy expensive special purpose oil....

They should make this topic a sticky...cause it will come up in another week...and everyone will post the same stuff.....Do whatever works for you....my 360s get down the track pretty good with no valve train problems...

you mean 10 extra seconds don't ya? :D

Mostly I'm playing devil's advocate here :poke: but if you mix the bottle with one quart of oil, then pour the other seven quarts after it, is that really any better than pouring in the bottle first and adding eight quarts?

:lol:

you mean 10 extra seconds don't ya? :D

Mostly I'm playing devil's advocate here :poke: but if you mix the bottle with one quart of oil, then pour the other seven quarts after it, is that really any better than pouring in the bottle first and adding eight quarts?

:lol:
Oh, my! I buy a 5 qrt jug of Quaker State Defy from Walmart. ALL 5 qrts are in the SAME jug, right from walmart. That's right! ONE JUG, containing all 5 quarts of oil. Sold this way from Walmart. AND other places. Pour the 8 oz. little container in the 5 quart jug of oil, and shake it. Again, they sell oil in 5 quart jugs. ALL 5 quarts are in the same jug. Comes this way from the store. Again, ONE container containing FIVE quarts of oil. This is how it is delivered to the store.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: one jug:realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy::realcrazy: with 5 quarts of oil :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The oil I used comes in 1 quart bottles and I use eight of them.
What's your point? :drama:
Just play'n with your Devil's Advocate :D I've been surprised how many times i've explained how this works..... really. I've plainly stated I get a jug of QS oil from Walmart and pour the 8 oz. bottle into it and shake it up for a few seconds. (THERE I GO AGAIN!) lol....
HOW ELSE WOULD ONE CHOOSE TO DO THIS?????? Pull the dizzy and pour it in there? BANG bang ...... i'm dead :D

P.S. .... I'm having a little fun with this very simple little task that i've never given a thought to before.... Honestly

VR1 and done. been running Valvoline racing oil since I started driving in the mid 70's.
not one blown engine or flat cam revving 383's to the moon.
I leave the mixing to the wife. If I didn't I'd throw the zinc in first.
oh and I did preheat the STP. lol

VR1 and done. been running Valvoline racing oil since I started driving in the mid 70's.
not one blown engine or flat cam revving 383's to the moon.
I leave the mixing to the wife. If I didn't I'd throw the zinc in first.
oh and I did preheat the STP. lol
I have a duster on VR-1 also. It's my first time around with it, and I like it.

This thread is almost as whacked as the cam thread?

How hard is it to mix 2 liquids??? I started mixing 2 liquids in 1972. My dad would let me ride if I couldn't start the bike, mix the fuel and do maintainence commensurate for my skill set. It's simple really.

Thank GOD my dad wouldnt allow my brother and I to just jump on the bikes and ride. While the neighbors were playing basketball, I was prepping my bike to ride on Sunday. And we had to have a B+ average or you didn't ride. And your bike had to be CLEAN, serviced and ready, or you had to stay home. My dad doesn't suffer fools. Period. Lots of people rode with us ONCE. If they weren't ready, or their junk broke or fouled plugs, we didn't see them again.

I love my dad.

please do not compare mixing 2 cycle fuel to mixing oils. I was weened, lol at the ripe old age of 8 racing 2 stroke bikes, I mixed fuel for over a dozen different bikes.
fuel mix has to be spot on for performance. oh, and I did preheat the STP. learned that from mr good wrench ( grandpa). lol

Yellow rose, you disagree that I have a Duster on VR-1, or that I like it???? LOL......

please do not compare mixing 2 cycle fuel to mixing oils. I was weened, lol at the ripe old age of 8 racing 2 stroke bikes, I mixed fuel for over a dozen different bikes.
fuel mix has to be spot on for performance. oh, and I did preheat the STP. learned that from mr good wrench ( grandpa). lol
Yeah, I used to pre mix my snowmobiles. Lot different than mixing ZDDP into oil.... lol

-
Back