ok i need some help

-
you need to pull the pressure out of your crankcase with the correct PCV valve from the valve cover to the carb.

this is what it looked like before i changed the covers like an open pcv on one side and a i guess a breather oil fill cap on the other

Attachments

• fone 057.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 137
you need a pcv valve on one valve cover and a breather on the opposite valve cover

You need to get the breather out of your head. Look at the last pic you posted. There is a PCV valve on the passenger side cover, I do not see it in the covers you have on now.

What you need to do is get the valve on one side and the breather on the other side, problem solved.

those breather caps are garbage. my system is completely closed. valve cover - pcv - carb. i have no breather what so ever and this set up works flawlessly . some use a breather on the opposite side of the engine of the pcv. if your carb is connected to a pcv breather with holes in it , your are sucking air and not crankcase pressure. there is a valve in the PCV that vacuum from the carb pulls open to vent. pcv= pressure control valve . your breather needs to be tossed in the garbage and the correct pcv installed.

those breather caps are garbage. my system is completely closed. valve cover - pcv - carb. i have no breather what so ever and this set up works flawlessly . some use a breather on the opposite side of the engine of the pcv. if your carb is connected to a pcv breather with holes in it , your are sucking air and not crankcase pressure. there is a valve in the PCV that vacuum from the carb pulls open to vent. pcv= pressure control valve . your breather needs to be tossed in the garbage and the correct pcv installed.

id hate to burst your bubble but pcv stands for positive crankcase ventilation pressure control valve is in the trans or other spots that are controled by pressure i work at a transmission shop

i just checked the breather and its sealed no holes on the bottom and the valve is free as can be

on the valve covers you see breathers on each side...i replaced the oil cap with a twist on breather..

also on the driver side valve cover ...you see the PCV sticking out but not hooked up yet...the white thing between the plugs wires on the valve cover...

Attachments

• Picture 395a.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 124
id hate to burst your bubble but pcv stands for positive crankcase ventilation pressure control valve is in the trans or other spots that are controled by pressure i work at a transmission shop
ok well whatever it stands for is great, but you still need a new one

where can i find the twist on breathers cause all the auto stores around here stock chevy performance parts it took me 3 days to find a grommet for that breather

im just trying to use the information everyone is giving me so i can figure out what i can do for little amount of money to take care of this problem cause what i see other have used breathers or just a pcv

dude seriously? for FIVE DOLLARS you can buy the CORRECT PCV .the oil caps 70 has posted are breathers as well. BUT YOU STILL NEED A PCV. we are trying to help you but you arent paying attention.

i am paying attention but i dont understand is that since my breather is basicaly a pcv why isnt it working cause i have a feeling if i put a pcv on it might do the same thing

I believe that one of the Covers should have a baffle in it to keep oil from getting sucked up by the PCV Valve. The whole ventilation system is just a bit more complicated than we are giving it credit for. Most peoples setup is working great but I would read up on it and make sure you have it exactly right or you may have some minor issues. Such as, Oil consumption or seal blow outs.

I believe that one of the Covers should have a baffle in it to keep oil from getting sucked up by the PCV Valve. The whole ventilation system is just a bit more complicated than we are giving it credit for. Most peoples setup is working great but I would read up on it and make sure you have it exactly right or you may have some minor issues. Such as, Oil consumption or seal blow outs.

like i said earlier the only place i seen oil coming from was the dipstick tube neither tho im going into town tomorrow to get stuff for it

i will explain this one more time. i have the very same exact valve covers as you can see in my engine shot on the last page. that is a 360. they have two oil fillers and i had to knock out one of the holes for my pcv. my pcv goes directly to the carb.i dont even use a breather at all. i dont need one, sure i could use one, but i dont want one. the pcv has to be operational. when they get old, moisture and oil get up inside them and clog them up, thus forcing crankcase pressure out of the dipstick tube and any where else it can find a way out. the carburetor vacuum sucks the pressure out of the crankcase through the pcv. without these parts in good working order you will get blowby everywhere else but into the combustion chambers and out of the exhaust. i PROMISE if you went and bought a new pcv, and hooked it directly to the carb, , just like my set-up, you will never blow the dipstick tube out. a breather allows draw of pressure through the pcv to the carb. a breather is a good idea, but not combined in the same cap with the pcv. if you look at 70s post he has two oil caps/breathers AND a pcv. this is a good set-up

It sounds like he has his breather connected to his carb??? Isnt that where the PCV(after you buy a new one) gets hooked to?? Does the breather have to be hooked to anything??

like i said earlier the only place i seen oil coming from was the dipstick tube neither tho im going into town tomorrow to get stuff for it
Sounds good. I guess there's 2 schools of thought on the extra breathers but The PCV is a definite must.

Man,
Here are the twist on breathers you need for your covers.
Buy 2.
Knock the hole out of the valve cover and put rubber grommet and pvc valve also avalible from summit.
Hook the pvc to the carb.
Problem solved.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4529880/

49 posts and still?

In the before you can see the PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover (or at least it looks like one). In the after it has been eliminated. THIS is the problem as I have said repeatedly. If you would listen, after all YOU ASKED for help and you have gotten it, you would be on the path to correcting the problem.

Knock out the plug in the passenger side cover, get a grommet and put your breather on that side. Get the right size grommet and put the PCV valve on the driver side hooked to full manifold vacuum.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!

By the way I would suggest you replace that plastic gas filter for a metal one, but that could be another 49 posts.

Attachments

• fone 057.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 90
  • i like it.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 86
-
Back