Okay.. Simple Question...

-

19 Again..

Reaction score
I replaced the gas tank, steel fuel line, sending unit and bent a line from the filter to the carb. All together and assembled.. Now the simple question... I'm trying to put my filler neck back in the tank.. (I have a folddown seat and pass thru--"space maker, Duster") Here's the ridiculous question, can I lube this thing up with anything? Crisco, grease, or something to get this filler neck to slide into the tank thru the grommet..? It's really getting to be frustrating (especially out in the heat and humidity, sweat running into my eyes, making me look like a cry baby..LMAO!) I'm open to any suggestions.. (as he wipes the tears..er uh Sweat out of his eyes) :banghead:

Looks like there's enough variety here that about anything will work! Thanks Guys.. Gonna go cry.. I mean Sweat some more!!!!!!

LOL! 19..

Petroleum oils will eventually break down rubber. I doubt you would use enough to make it break down in your lifetime, but I'm just sayin'.

Well, with all these great suggestions......I opted for some good ole..straight 30wt oil. It worked great, a few pushes and a twist and it slid right in... Good thing I didn't use the KY, can you imagine reading the last sentence and me not telling you it was the filler neck..LOL!! Now I can say the KY actually did cross my mind....however being waterbased I sorta dismissed it. But it kinda makes me wonder what some people may use on assembly of certain parts on these cars???? Somebody ought to start a thread that goes something like this... "What's the most Outrageous Lubricant you have ever used in assembling your car and car parts". That might make for an interesting thread!

Well, with all these great suggestions......I opted for some good ole..straight 30wt oil. It worked great, a few pushes and a twist and it slid right in... Good thing I didn't use the KY, can you imagine reading the last sentence and me not telling you it was the filler neck..LOL!! Now I can say the KY actually did cross my mind....however being waterbased I sorta dismissed it. But it kinda makes me wonder what some people may use on assembly of certain parts on these cars???? Somebody ought to start a thread that goes something like this... "What's the most Outrageous Lubricant you have ever used in assembling your car and car parts". That might make for an interesting thread!

One of my techs kept bugging me for sylglide, a synthetic lubricant. I got so sick of hearing him pestering me I went online and ordered him a pump jar of anal lube. Big black jar with white lettering - Anal Lube - on it. I had it shipped to the shop in his name. Kind of freaked him out, but he used it in the shop for fuel injector o-rings and such and claims it's the best lube he ever used. Go figure.

I actually just went through what you did when I installed my new grommet last week on my dusters tank. To top it off, the car has fresh paint and so did the filler tube so I was trying to be carefully of both of those things on top of it being tricky to get it inserted. Finally after 5 minutes or so of screwing around I smeared a little vasoline on the grommet and it all slid together like a charm!. Also, for the heck of it, I put a bead of weather strip adhesive in the channel of the grommet so I know it sealed well to the tank itself.

A little update. Got everything all buttoned up, put in about 4 gallons of gas, cranked on it for about 2 -3 minutes (intermittenly). Checked the filter, it had gas, started pumping the gas pedal and it fired up! In fact it seems to be running better...Go figure.
I found the rubber line from the steel tank line to the pump actually had a small slit in it where the clamp tightened down as I was changing out all the parts.. Still no issues for changing the tank, steel line, new filter, and making a steel line from the filter to the carb.. I don't think I'll have to many issues from the fuel system now..!

-
Back