Omni GLH ,GLHS- Any Members Own One?

-
Not to get off topic, but that reminds me of a Renault 5 gt turbo

Here is my little "rocket" 87 Shelby Charger Rust free Washington car, +20 injectors, inner cooled (original Shelby) 555 trans, Rod shifted with Rod mods (excellent) Blow off valve, Computer calibration to GLHS specs. 50 series tires as original. 20+ LBS of boost and its adjustable. Spins the tires a 30 MPH easy..Kicked a big block Nova's ***. lol Drives like a roller skate, Never under estimate the 2.2 they do preform very well. This was on my list of cars to do one day, when I found a clean body the time had come. Sooo much fun.

87 Dodge Shelby 2016 2.JPG

87 Dodge Shelby 2016 July 0.JPG

87 Dodge Shelby 2016 July 3.JPG

Shelby1.JPG

Shelby5.JPG

Looks like it's in nice shape and has been well cared for.

My brother owned GLHS #3 for a bit.

Another friend has a GLHS Charger.

Shift linkage can/will be problematic.

Electronic gremlins (carry TWO extra ECMs).

Very, VERY fun, and can hang with today's muscle.

YY1
Never an issue with the linkage for the shifter, I bought Great Lakes shifter kits, this takes away the plastic clips and now runs heim jointed pivot ponts totally adjustable. I recomend this kit to anyone with these cars and rod shifted, Shifts better than a 4 speed Dart! Also because I used the big 555 (Getrag)trans I did a hybrid axle and a bobble strut kit as well. ECM, is only one on these (under the pass side kick panel.)

shift-rod-setup-diagram-1.jpg

IMG_2085.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

L bodies need the no longer made shift rod kit but I can send you the the part links if you buy it, they love to rot the floor pans out too. Max boost I'd put to a T1 is 14/15psi.

Just FYI, they kept building non-turbo GLH cars.
They had the plain hood (no louvers) may be rarer than the turbo cars.
I never drove a turbo, but the NA cars are a blast, and not bad in snow believe it or not!

L bodies need the no longer made shift rod kit but I can send you the the part links if you buy it, they love to rot the floor pans out too. Max boost I'd put to a T1 is 14/15psi.

You are correct 14-15 LBS on stock, That was top LBS on the Shelby cars...But this car isn't stock, basically this is a T2 conversion with forged crank and pistons...20+ LBS Boost no issues and +20 injectors walbro HP fuel pump, and calibration...it's the little things that make the difference :) No rust on this car,,,,floors and rocker, wheel well all like new. The car still had the original exhaust and muffler on it. This is the original paint on the car by the way...

You are correct 14-15 LBS on stock, That was top LBS on the Shelby cars...But this car isn't stock, basically this is a T2 conversion with forged crank and pistons...20+ LBS Boost no issues and +20 injectors walbro HP fuel pump, and calibration...it's the little things that make the difference :) No rust on this car,,,,floors and rocker, wheel well all like new. The car still had the original exhaust and muffler on it. This is the original paint on the car by the way...
I was talking to OP on boost. Similar to my J body, 18psi '87 T2 engine, +20s, ND Computer and 3 bar map.

I meant carry two spare ECMs.

There's been more than one occasion where my friends Charger lost the ECM, and the spare he was carrying turned out to also be bad.

It's worth noting that this particular friend is a career Mopar parts manger and avid SDAC contributor.

I don't know if any one noticed but the 125 speedo in the black GLH is not a decal. It is and actual 125 speedo. One of one from mopar that Shelby wouldn't use due to cost.

Currently, no. I've got a complete low mile '88 T2 on the stand, with a Shelby VC, 2 piece intake, rebuilt turbo, 2.5 swingvalve, stainless coolant/oil lines, A523 trans with shifter and cables, 3" exhaust, new shocks and struts, brakes are fairly new with stainless lines. And I've got a GLHS rad/ic setup that needs the rad recored.

I've actually got lots more stuff I'd maybe let go too. NOS foglight covers, NOS GLHS Stage 2 logic module, Direct Connection autoX springs, +40 injectors, Gbody rad/ic, pizza wheels, a bunch of extra interior bits, and more.

I love GLHs, but I've got two 340s in line to build up, my truck needs a engine and trans as well as some rust repair. Just throwing it out there right now.

Last edited:
For $4000 it better be perfect ;-) one of you turbo dodge knuckle heads can come pickup a set of 15x6.5 crab wheels so i don't scrap them.

I had a 90 Shelby Daytona VNT, brother had a 92 spirit r/t. i loved my G-body rattle trap, but ugh my 15yr old SRT4 is still better in about every way.

Not mine, but here is a real "Barn Find" 1984 GLH. I think it has been in there since around 1990.

100_3275.JPG

100_3277.JPG

100_3280.JPG

I have owned a bunch of those omnis including an 86 GLHS and a silver GLHT like the one linked. They are great fun, and probably the biggest sleeper you can get even lightly modded. Not much to look at and pretty plain interior... also maybe the ugliest steering wheel ever manufactured. haha...

I would roll one as a daily if you didn't mind lack of creature comforts / noise. The only problems I ever had were either brought on by me or the hall effect pickup in the distributor. As mentioned some of the ECUs would go because IIRC the one is located where it can get wet up front and houses the voltage reg (Varies by year). The one in the kick panel can get wet if the interior leaks, they used to be dime a dozen for the MP ones. Also the MAP sensor is a 1 bar so you either deal with that or stop at 14.7psi boost, the computer can't measure past that.

I bought them really cheap back in the day, but now I don't think $4k is too far off for a really nice one, or a crappy 86 GLHS. The omnis will probably go for more than the Shelby charger. I think closer to $3k is good for you 3.5k is decent deal for both.

-
Back