On a street near you!!

-

funnycar farmer

Reaction score
Altered wheelbase Dart number one- the car that started our FunnyCar Farm, is finally out tearing up streets and towns here in Southern California. Steve Magnante has
been driving it for the past two weeks, with a 150- mile freeway journey today!! Yikes!!! The car is totally predictable with the straight axle and steering, brakes fine, and in general freaks people out everywhere it goes. Next stop- - - wheels up launches at drags!!!! To see---and drive this car finally is like setting a big cherry on that ice cream sundae!! And the fact of being able to cruise on the freeway (yes, thats correct!) makes it even the sweeter!
http://public.fotki.com/bowtie0069/funny-car-farm--awb/funnycarfarmproject1/img4602a.html

Dale Snoke

Ok, Ok...

That's pretty friggin cool. =P~=P~=P~=P~=P~

You guys going to the carjunkie.tv deal on Feb. 16 ??

If we are invited?? I hear to get into that gig, it's like getting invited to the academy awards show!!:cheers:

If we are invited?? I hear to get into that gig, it's like getting invited to the academy awards show!!:cheers:

He's posting blanket stuff everywhere inviting any warm body that RSVP's. ???

When's the next Thrusday night Irwindale drag night?? Going to take it out to there?

That thing is f*@%en awesome!! =P~ I have been following your project, seen the Hot Rod issue, etc, very cool. I originally wanted to put a straight axle in my 66 but decided not to. I have a-100 seats and a-100 axle, will save it for a 63-64 Dart or Valiant "future project". I also want to go with a 4-speed again, I have one in my 66 and love it. On the cover of the Hot Rod issue, there is a 60-62 Valiant in the background. Is that another project? That would be neat to see too. Keep posting new pictures!

resize2Picture 012.jpg

that is way cool!!!! when i was a kid growing up in galesburg il. there was a guy named dave mcoy he took a vega bodied funny car and put it on the street. it was pretty cool. it still had somewhat of a funny car chasis but instead of the steering wheel being in the middle of the car he moved it to the left so that he and his wife could ride in it. the one piece fiberglass body still lifted like a funny car but it worked on hydrolics so they could get in and out of the thing! it was steet legal had all the working lights ect. i dont think that you could ever take it on a 100 plus mile highway trip though. this thing was neat right down to the parachutes on the back! this guy always had something cool and different driving around he kinda used these cars as advertisment for his custom body shop. i can tell you the cops didnt know what to think when this one hit the street! i think that you may be able to see some old pictures of this car on his web site i think that it is real mcoy racing .com ???

i was spelling the guys name wrong its mccoy. i looked for the web site it is realmccoyracing.com there is only 1 small pic of the vega here while he was being questioned about it by the police. i will try to contact him or find the other web site with more pics and let you guys know what is a bit later. i know that it is just a chevy but it was still pretty cool!

man, that is freakin AWESOME!!!! i want to go somewhat the same route with my 64, i'd like to put the a-100 axle in the front but leave the rear axle in the stock location. already have a hemi for it although its not really period correct (its a '52 331) but who cares.
again, that is too cool!!! love it! can't wait to see the next one!!!
-tim

That is a really COOL LOOKING RIDE ! I am in the process of doing a altered wheelbase 67 Dart Sedan. It will only have a altered wheelbase in the front about 8" not altered in the rear. I have always wanted an OLD GASSER STRAIGHT AXLE CAR so I figured I had better get it going while I still can. Hope to have the front suspension finished in a couple of weeks. I think your car is just AWSOME,I just hope mine comes out half as nice. My goal is to try and have it ready to cruise the streets in this Summer BUT I ain't FAST at all anymore! Can you spell TURTLE! LOL I move real slow but I try to make every move count for something! LOL

I'm glad to hear you guys got some of your projects off the ground. Ain't nothing like driving a gasser! Lud, fast, obnoxious! Just what we like!
When my '64 GT is done, you guys will get a kick out whats on deck for the next chop and slash session. A '67 Rambler post two-door. The style looks just like Doug Glads Car Craft project ride, but mine will be high and dry, not slow and low!

Wow.... that's totally insane. I love that car.... I want it. Wanna trade for a nearly finished `68 Fastback? :-D

If you guys dig this car you should get the dvd that they made while building the chassis. It is kick ***.

Mike

Great job! That is one radical A-body! What kind of gear are you running to do a 150 mile highway trip or is it outfitted with an overdrive transmission?

I'm not sure when Steve will throw in his hat. He does not frequent the forums, just who he is I guess. He's getting ready to possibly make a move over to the East Coast, so everyone over on the cold side of the country will get a heavy dose of "Magnante-ism's".
The engine is nothing more than a story motor covered in Car Craft(?) a few month's back, the 8 3/4 still has an open diff, and I'm not sure what the ratio set is. The DVD's are selling at a pretty steady rate, which tells me that there are ALOT of people out there who want to try and give this stuff a whirl. Glad for that.

Nice fotki album....love the last shoot of the back end pulling out onto the street!!

He's getting ready to possibly make a move over to the East Coast, so everyone over on the cold side of the country will get a heavy dose of "Magnante-ism's".

While I'm a big fan of Steve's, why the hell does he want to move out HERE? I wish I could go out West!

Were out east is he headed ? And I agree with John, Why would he want to move out this way ? LOL

He longs for home, best I can figure. He originally hails from Mass., forgot the small town, and thats where he is heading. If his home here in SoCal sells, which looks very promising at the moment. Wish there was more time before he ships his car back East. We were going to do a mondo mini-tub on his Hemi Dart now that his engine is back into place. Won't let the cat outta the bag, but you will be amazed and surprised at the torque and horsepower numbers from this latest elephant when the story comes out in a couple month's or so.

Dale

Any chance of posting any pics of his car that we don't have to pay for? I would like to be able to put a couple of them on my garage wall for motivation.

Thanks,
Mike

Can I talk somebody into uploading a picture of it up on this site so that I can see it? Please.

Sweet ride !! I have a 64 Dart GT but I don't think I could bring myself to chop it up. I think it might be the 1st year of the 273 4 speed combo in that model. I would really like to know how many 63-66 darts came with green tinted glass and if the rear glass was also green . The rear glass in mine is clear. hope someone can help!!

-
Back