?? On neutral safety switch wires

-

68 Sedan

Reaction score
I'm still trying to "undo" all the screwed up wiring in my 72 Duster and I'm getting closer. However, one of the next stumbling blocks is the 3 wires from the neutral safety switch.

According to the wiring diagram, the brown center wire goes directly to the starter relay. Is that correct. One wire from "point A to point B"? Just a single brown wire from the trans all the way to the starter relay?

Next are the other two wires. I'm pretty sure one goes to the bulkhead connector which houses the wiring for the wiper motor. Correct?

Wire #3. Book shows it goes to the headlight harness bulkhead connector. Is that right? To this point (other than being routed wrong) I don't think the headlight harness has been hacked, and all 8 of the spots in the connector are occupied. So where does "wire #3" go?

Lastly is the "yellow" wire at the starter relay. Again, the book shows it going to the headlight harness bulkhead connector. But again nothing in that harness seems to be out of place or hacked.

So if there is anyone out there with an unmolested 72 Duster (or maybe even a 71), I'd really appreciate you having a look and tell me WTF is up with these wires.

Thanks

Somewhere,in Moparts forum, a diagram is stored from a thread. I printed one out for my 70, But I think wiring changed by 72- emissins crap.. If you can't find it, I can tell tell 70 wiring.

I have a wiring diagram. Actually I have two, one of which is color. What it shows and what I see on the car are not one and the same. That is why I would like someone to look at their car and tell me where these wires actually go, and if the brown wire for the starter relay actually is a single wire from the trans to the relay without any connectors etc. somewhere along the way

center wire goes to starter relay switch G lug for ground...

other two wires are for the back up lights..

I appreciate your answers, but you aren't understanding the question. I KNOW what the wires are for. I'm pretty sure one of the "outside" wires goes to the bulkhead connector that has the wiper wiring in it.

What you aren't understanding is:
1)Does the brown (center) wire go straight to the relay as a single continuous wire
2)where does the second "outside" wire physically go
3)where does the yellow wire from the starter relay physically go

I can see what the diagrams show, but that doesn't answer my questions

1) Yes the brown wire goes striaght to the starter relay (The diagram has no connectors show is how you would know if you didn't have direct info)

2) Two outside (Black) wire : As you have found one goes to the "C" terminal on the wiper bulkhead connector. The other goes to the "W" terminal on the third connector.

3) The yellow wire (shown as a Dark Green - Red on same diagrams) goes to the "T" terminal on the third connector. (Going thru to ignition switch)

If you are having trouble telling which terminal is which, on the connector look at the wires and the colors of them going into the connector as that will usually let you figure out which is which.

I am highly suspisous of the 73 and 74 wiring diagrams on MyMopar.com. As you would notice there is no wire shown on the interior side of the "C" terminal for the 72-74 years. Don't know if this is the real case or just a misprint. The 73-74 wiring around the voltage regulator has an extra connection show from the brown wire to th "I" terminal on the regulator which would in effect put 12V on the coil at all times. I hope someone can make sure that the connections as show on the "C" terminal is correct and that there really is something on the interior side of the bulkhead connector. I have diagrams from three sources for my 68 Barracuda that I use to cross check and make sure everything is in agreement.

I appreciate your answers, but you aren't understanding the question. I KNOW what the wires are for. I'm pretty sure one of the "outside" wires goes to the bulkhead connector that has the wiper wiring in it.

What you aren't understanding is:
1)Does the brown (center) wire go straight to the relay as a single continuous wire
2)where does the second "outside" wire physically go
3)where does the yellow wire from the starter relay physically go

I can see what the diagrams show, but that doesn't answer my questions

Of the NSS harnesses I have put in cars I will say:
1) yes it is continuous of the ones I have done.
2) the 2 outside wires on the NSS harness are for the b/u lites and do use the wiper bulkhead to go into the car. Then from there, I believe it goes to the wiper switch for power and the other side goes out to the rear harness.
3) the yellow wire goes all the way to the ignition switch.

Well I guess that means that the headlight harness has been screwed with on this car as well. Cause I've looked at the connector, and all 8 spots are full. There is no yellow wire present, and nothing that looks altered or cut off for the second "outside" wire from the neutral safety switch.

so much for thinking there would be ONE harness on this car I wouldn't have to replace.

thanks guys

I ran into this recently when I added back-up lights to my 69 , in the end I found an odd shaped three prong connector on the harness that crosses the firewall that the sub harness { the three wires your speaking of } plugs into , my confusion came from having a 68 diagram which is completely different for this circuit , I too couldn't figure out where the 2 outer wires where supposed to run as my mechanic direct wired the center { neutral safety switch } wire as a temp thing until I found some back-up lights , the connector was about mid-way between the distributor and the terminal block on my car perhaps it is buried/taped up somewhere along your firewall

Spent some time looking at it all again (since it's been more than two months since I started the "great rewire" and (re)discovered something else. There is a two pronged plug (black and kinda "V" shaped) that comes out of the headlight harness a few inches from the bulkhead connector. The "other half" of this connector has been spliced in to the NSS harness. WTF?

Bottom line is I'm out of time on this (for the moment) and it's gonna have to sit till I can get back to it. At that point I'm gonna do like I have on the rest of the car. I'll just get a new headlight harness and NSS harness and fix it right.

Thanks all

-
Back