??? on price of a complete 8 3/4

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a complete ready to bolt in 8 3/4 rear end with a 489 case suregrip with 4.10 gears. Is $1200.00 a good price or too much? I've never had to purchase one, so I'd like some feedback before I do. Thanks in advance:)

empty 8.75 a-body housings go for $500, used 489 sure grip 4.10 assembled $400 all day. axles, backing plates, brakes, drums..

If drum to drum, clean and fresh, that's about the going rate, around here anyhow. Not a deal by by means but a-body housings are exactly "common" anymore either.

800-850 MAX if it's an A body in used condition with stock axles/brakes. If it's a B rear, take $200-300 off that number.

People spending $500 on bare housings are lazy asses and not looking around. basically standing around waiting for a axle to fall out of a tree and hit them.

I sell non sure grip a body rears, complete, for 450-500.

Around here, when you can find one, they go up to 1200 all day long, and that's not rebuilt.

For an A body rear that is. B's are quite a bit less in most circumstances.

I sent a pm to the seller and just waiting to hear back. Thanks again for the help, you guys rock!!! That's why I became a member here:)

Well it seems that the rear end was rebuilt at some point (owner not sure when) richmond 4.10 gears were added by owner a few years back. Stock axles and brakes. I offered the owner 800.00. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Well it seems that the rear end was rebuilt at some point (owner not sure when) richmond 4.10 gears were added by owner a few years back. Stock axles and brakes. I offered the owner 800.00. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Something to think about.... Are you planning on staying small bolt pattern? If not you will need new axles, backing plates, drums and all the hardware to go large bolt pattern.

I am going to BBP. Just waiting to hear back! If it doesn't work out, I may just save up for a Dana 60:)

last complete 8 3/4 i bought was 650 bucks...drum to drum with a 742 center section with a 4.30 gear set.

**** for $500 for a bare housing i would be finding a big old c-body housing and send it out to be cut to abody size. i'm putting big bolt axles and brakes on it anyway.

-
Back