Once in a life time ! ? ! ?

-

ahldo1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have recently re-aquired my first car I ever owned, a 73 340 Duster 4spd. This car was a one owner mint mint mint car. I loved this thing It was all but showroom, but as life went on so did the Duster. I came across this same car about 7 years ago but the owner was an A-hole car was for sale but never returned any calls Oh well Life goes on again. December 24th this past Christmas I was checking out Craigs list not even looking for this car and there it was I contacted the seller and after speaking with him for a short while he retrieved the VIN for me and wouldnt you know it matched my Insurance paperwork I had saved from 18 years ago, Merry freaking Christmas to me. Low and behold I bought it back not in the same shape but at least the very same car. It is a driver has had some body work and looks good at 15-20ft I paid $7500.00 for the car, mainly because of the history. I think It was worth buying any thoughts or comments on the sale price would be apprieciated good or bad ? I do plan on a full restoration but for now Ill store it and drive it occasionally. I hope to hook up with some good info from this forum and share some info when I can - Thanks for reading Ill be looking for a few parts from time to time so I will check back often

Cool story! Your car can be mint mint again you know! $7500? You can't put a price on that kinda history.

That is great I think! I know how you feel exactly. I screwed up and could never get my 70 RT Charger back; new owner was a jerk that bought after the sale from me to the 1st owner, so he was the 4th guy and really was a jerk. Car was damaged and never the same...

Well post some pics, I have seen these cars i nthe 30-35k range in great shape with all numbers matching, but for you I think it would not be an investment but a nostalgic think and a driver.

Restore it and drive it I say!

One for me one for you!
:drinkers::drinkers:

Congratulations on getting your Duster back. I bought my 73 Duster 340 new when I was 17, and still have it today. As was your case, there was a time when life happened and the Duster sat in storage for about 15 years. I had many offers to buy it over the years but I just couldn't bring myself to ever seriously consider them. Even my wife is resigned to the fact that I've had the Duster longer than I've had her LOL. I'm happy to say that it's now back up and running and I plan to start on the "cosmetics" in the near future as the 34 year old paint is pretty tired even though it still looks good from 15 ft. Good luck with yours and keep us posted.

SWEETNESS!
I'm glad you are reunited with your love!
I've owned alot of cars in my life, but the one that owned me
was a 73 'Cuda, it was a 340 auto car, red with white interior.
I owned it at the perpect time and place in my life.
I still have not found another car that has givin' me that much pleasure.
I've wished on many occasions that I could find and purchase it back.
Money's joy is fleeting as are most things in life, sometimes a man should
just say it's not for sale, it brings me joy and makes me happy.
That should be enough explanation for anyone.
I hope that's the case for you.
Good luck on your restoration.
Longarm

Great Story! Welcome aboard!

Forget the price; reconnecting with your first car cannot have a price tag placed upon it. I somehow managed to keep my first one over the years - this October I will have owned my Rallye Red '70 Duster 340 for 30 years. Time flies when you're having fun...!

Ray

Great find, I wish I could have my first mopar back, but sadly I know it is gone forever.

TopHat

My first car, a 69 Dart ended up getting tubbed and Hemi powered. I hope it`s out there somewhere tearing up the racetrack. My second car , a 68 Dart went from 340 to 440, tubbed and disappeared. Although I wouldn`t know either car if I saw them now, I can imagine how it would feel to find one knowing it was my first car. It`s got to feel great being able to acquire your first car again. If this is a "once in a lifetime" event is it "the same as it ever was"? Great find!!!:thumrigh:

Jump on in and enjoy Ahldo1.
Glad to here your duster made it back home.
We have some of the best of the best tec's here and some good folks too.
A Christmas you will never forget.

Thanks for the responses, not to sound real freaky and weird just a quick story about the re-purchase day - The nail in the coffin so to speak that re-assured me I had done the right thing was after we finalized the deal the guy I bought it from had put the car back in the garage and we were speaking for a good 35-45 min when I ended the conversation turned to my truck and he turned to the garage I heard him say whoa someone wants to go home now! I turned and noticed the freakin car rolling out of the garage no one near it and as I said it was there a good 35-45 min and never moved until I was leaving. I am very excited to introduce my son to real cars not these little rice burners he's only 4 now but it probably will be his someday with a block of wood under the throttle like my Dad did to my sisters Coronet 440.

$7,500... worth every penny.

I wish I could get my first muscle car back... It was a '70 Buick GS Stage 1 4spd. My wife wishes I had it back too, I met her when I owned that car. O well 26yrs of water under the bridge now.

Congrates and welcome!

Chuck

Good deal!!!! Yeah...wish I could get my first car back. 68 Road Runner Plum Crazy 383 / 4 speed w/ factory tach out on the hood. Pardon me while I go dry my eyes.

You can't put a price on that. My first was a 64 dart conv 225 slant 6.I bought it for my 21st bday. I sold it about 15 years ago. It was a classic old lady story. Car had been used lightly. I sold it because I moved to NYC and the car stayed in NJ. I tried to find it to no avail. I ended up with another A-body my 67 barracuda conv 273. I am still searching for my first. Good luck with the resto. Welcome aboard.

Steve

If you have pictures you should post pics of when you first had the car and pics of how it is now! It's always neat to see how a car has changed over the years from owner to owner.

I wil post some pics in my gallery/profile when I have a chance believe it or not I only had two pics of the car which I got from my brother about 3 years ago, I never thought of taking any pics when I was younger Dah! For now Ill give a mental pic Its Gold with factory blk stripes w/340 on quarters, Correct chrome tips out rear and stock rally rims. If anyone can tell me the correct description of the gold color in '73 I would appreciate it. Some one told me years ago the gold color w/blk stripe kit and 4spd, no power steering, no a/c, power brakes, blk interior w/bucket seats was a fairly low production car - dont Know myself but would be curious as how to find out - would any one know how I could verify this?

I read this thread, and it got me thinking about my 1st car. A 1968 Formula S 340 4 speed notchback, with only 46,000 miles. It was aqua in color, with a white stripe, and white vinal top. It had white seats, and panels, and the rest of the interior was black. :love4:
I thought what the heck. I called the last place where I had seen it some 28 years ago. It turns out that the person who lives there is the brother of the man that still owns my old car. He said it's stored, and he hasn't even looked at it in years. The original motor is gone, and replaced with another 340. There was never any rust on it when I had it, but I guess they had repainted it a different color. He said he didn't think his brother would sell it, but if he did, he would probably want at least $10,000 for it. Guess he watched B-J auctions. :angry5: It's hard to think of paying that much for it with the changes that have been done to it. I agree that it's hard to put a price on memories, but without the winning lottery numbers, I think my owning it will be quite a stretch. You guys can imagine how much I would love to be ripping up North Street in it again. :burnout:

ahldo 1, I must thank you for helping me remember some of my past. Good luck with your new/old girl, and don't give her up this time. Tim

I read this thread, and it got me thinking about my 1st car. A 1968 Formula S 340 4 speed notchback, with only 46,000 miles. It was aqua in color, with a white stripe, and white vinal top. It had white seats, and panels, and the rest of the interior was black. :love4:
I thought what the heck. I called the last place where I had seen it some 28 years ago. It turns out that the person who lives there is the brother of the man that still owns my old car. He said it's stored, and he hasn't even looked at it in years. The original motor is gone, and replaced with another 340. There was never any rust on it when I had it, but I guess they had repainted it a different color. He said he didn't think his brother would sell it, but if he did, he would probably want at least $10,000 for it. Guess he watched B-J auctions. :angry5: It's hard to think of paying that much for it with the changes that have been done to it. I agree that it's hard to put a price on memories, but without the winning lottery numbers, I think my owning it will be quite a stretch. You guys can imagine how much I would love to be ripping up North Street in it again. :burnout:

ahldo 1, I must thank you for helping me remember some of my past. Good luck with your new/old girl, and don't give her up this time. Tim

I was just talking with a friend (fishman) the other day about the price of parts today. He`s looking for grille parts for his 69 Barracuda and finding them really expensive. We laughed at the fact that I`d spent only $400.00 for a 69 Dart GT or $550.00 for a 68 GTS back in the 70`s and now you can hardly find decent parts for less than the cost of what we payed for the entire cars back then.

Thats a great story and the price.....well i think its cool that you got your first mopar back, like others have said, you cant put a price on that. Congrats!

I was just talking with a friend (fishman) the other day about the price of parts today. He`s looking for grille parts for his 69 Barracuda and finding them really expensive. We laughed at the fact that I`d spent only $400.00 for a 69 Dart GT or $550.00 for a 68 GTS back in the 70`s and now you can hardly find decent parts for less than the cost of what we payed for the entire cars back then.

Longgone, I know exactly what you mean. I paid $600 for the Barracuda in 1976. I bought a 68 GTS 340 after that for $275. Burned oil, and rusty front fenders, but now days it would be worth big bucks even in that shape.
Life was simple back then. I guess you know you're getting old when you look deep in thought, and your sentences start with "I remember when". :scratch: Tim

-
Back