Alaska

How to Get Married in Alaska

denali.jpg

I see
cousin marriage, yes
same sex marriage, yes
Blood test requirement,no.
Common-law marriage, no.

May Alaska be filled with same sex, sick-O cousin, homo-marriages, and they can all sit around the campfires singing silly limericks as the population slowly ebbs to zero..... except for the bastard kids.
Thanks for the chuckles.

I am in total agreement with AJ/Form S. Marriage is (at least should be) between a man and a woman. I also can't stand the people who go online and get the "Ordained Minister" Certificate and perform a ceremony for a friend. One of my kids did that a while back, and they were not at all happy when I told them what I thought of it when I was asked, "Isn't it cool?"

I am in total agreement with AJ/Form S. Marriage is (at least should be) between a man and a woman. I also can't stand the people who go online and get the "Ordained Minister" Certificate and perform a ceremony for a friend. One of my kids did that a while back, and they were not at all happy when I told them what I thought of it when I was asked, "Isn't it cool?"

nah,it just goes to show the value they place marriage, if it doesn't need to be officiated by a real preacher, what does that tell you?

nah,it just goes to show the value they place marriage, if it doesn't need to be officiated by a real preacher, what does that tell you?
TOTALLY TRUE. A lot of them go into it with the attitude of, "No big deal. If it doesn't work out, we'll just get a divorce."

Marriage is a commitment between two people to be together. It doesn’t take anyone with special credentials to sanction that.

The commitment is in their soul...where God can see.

God may have married Eve to Adam..... but who officiated at Cain's marriage or Seth's or at any of the other kids marriages? I'll go out on a limb and say papa-Adam.
OOps, rest of post deleted on account of wrong forum.

As a youngster I believed a couple were married by a priest, later I figured the couple marry one another with the priest/rabbi/minister as an official witness. Now I learn a friend can do it. Maybe more intimate that way? I will have to think about it.

I always laugh about the priest that officiated at our wedding. My fiancee did not like the authoritarian attitude of my parish priest and found one from a nearby parish. Sometime after our wedding was performed by the second priest, we found out he was gay and had served time in federal prison for smuggling aliens (our wedding took place in the border town of El Paso, Texas). A little ironic being my wife was Mexican and I was working as a Border Patrol Agent at the time. The priest was originally from Chile (not chile pepper).

This same priest who served time in prison wrote a book while he was incarcerated and I had a copy (misplaced-still waiting for it to show up). The book was a reference to all the jailhouse "slang". It must have had five hundred words that referenced the word "*****", pretty funny.

slang2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, marry your refrigerator if you want.
What do I care as long as you leave me out of it.

Too many people try to tell others how to live their lives.

Marriage is a commitment between two people to be together. It doesn’t take anyone with special credentials to sanction that.

The commitment is in their soul...where God can see.
Your missing the part where a marriage is an institute ordained by God to depict the relationship of Christ and His church to the outside world...not something to be taken lightly

Colorado is even easier.
Only a few states recognize common law marriages and Colorado is one of them. The underpinning of a common law marriage is the shared agreement or accord of two individuals to be husband and wife, and an open and mutual assumption of a marital relationship.
Here's the rules:
  1. Cohabitate,
  2. Mutually agree to be married, and
  3. Openly hold themselves out to the public as married.
Then lo and behold, you are legally married. Next thing you know is she talks you into filing jointly so you get a bigger tax return. Then you're toast.
So, if you plan on moving to Colorado and want to shack up with one of our women, find a rich one.

With religious and civil officials in short supply in the far out areas of Alaska, it makes some sense.

Colorado is even easier.
Only a few states recognize common law marriages and Colorado is one of them. The underpinning of a common law marriage is the shared agreement or accord of two individuals to be husband and wife, and an open and mutual assumption of a marital relationship.
Here's the rules:
  1. Cohabitate,
  2. Mutually agree to be married, and
  3. Openly hold themselves out to the public as married.
Then lo and behold, you are legally married. Next thing you know is she talks you into filing jointly so you get a bigger tax return. Then you're toast.
So, if you plan on moving to Colorado and want to shack up with one of our women, find a rich one.
Reminds me of the common law / domestic partners lawsuit in California involving actor Lee Marvin. Maybe this was the start of it all??
It's Round Two of the Marvin Affair, and the Stakes Are $1.5 Million for Michelle

I'm not going to mention names but...
Many years ago while a member was still in the Army, and still quite young, he met another soldier who happened to be female.
Said member and his new friend realized that they could move out of barracks and actually get paid more if they were married.
member gets ahold of his best friend in the world and tells him what the plan is. Best friend (rightfully) thinks plan isn't well thought out, but agrees to set up a preacher and make arrangements for upcoming nuptials.
Member and soon to be bride drive up from Ft. Knox Ky for pre-arranged ceremony. They stop at courthouse, get license.
Member and bride go to friends house and at the set time a gentleman comes in wearing a polyester suit that was at least 20yrs old. You could tell he just had a bath and shave. Gentleman proceeds with ceremony, I hand him a $50 and he leaves. Best friend insists that he will take license to court house and have it certified the next day. We all go to dinner and then head back to Ft. Knox, and put our plan into action. See the thing about the plan is, that the Army did in fact give the member and his new bride a home to live in, but it was a 1 bedroom. Now this really wasn't an issue at first, but after awhile, not so much fun. Member is a Field Artilleryman and is in the field quite a bit and his new bride is a MP and works funky shifts constantly.
Plan started to unravel about 3 months in and an annulment was discussed.
Member confides in his best friend about the issue. Best friend starts to laugh and then reveals his secret.
The preacher that performed the ceremony was actually the guy that used to fry chicken at a local KFC and members friend didn't take license in to certify. Friend had arranged to pay "preacher" 2 cases of Busch beer and bought the tacky suit at the Goodwill earlier in the day. Said that the reason for the ugly *** suit was so the wedding pictures would be a "hoot". The $50 member gave him was an unexpected bonus.
Member never reveals this to the other party and goes thru with annulment. Member felt that if the mans work was good enough for Col. Sanders, it was good enough for him.
Member learns 2 valuable lessons:
1. Members friend has a sick sense of humor.
2. Never, never marry a Military Policeman (or woman in this case).

Last edited:
I got my Minister's credentials online... and I take it very seriously. I have performed marriage ceremonies for two of my grandchildren so far in two years.

I do a short, to the point, non-denominational service that includes a welcome to the families and friends, a short opening story that hopefully brings a smile or two to the audience and a brief verse from the Christian Bible. Then they couples exchange rings and vows and we are done.

15 minutes max.

I'm thinking of adding a prayer to the Mopar gods if I'm ever asked.....

-
Back