one of the things that makes America great

-
I have to wholeheartedly disagree on this. I'm sure there are people like yourself who rely on places to be open at odd hours but it can't be a large segment of the population. Sure, I've been in those places at all hours plenty of times but it certainly wouldn't bother me if they went away.

The problem with it in relationship to our culture is that it perpetuates the idea of entitlement. People want everything right now because they've been led to believe that's what they want by advertising. Sometimes you gotta turn stuff off and wait for tomorrow. The availability of junk food at anytime in a generic place on every corner is not a good thing even though it may be perceived as a convenience.

At this point, no one should be wondering why obesity and diabetes are two of the biggest health concerns this country faces. The thing that's hard to swallow about that though is that it's all self inflicted. I cringe when I see or hear another fast food joint advertising they're open all night to satisfy night time cravings. Hey, I need a midnight snack, I'm gonna go get a double cheeseburger with fries and a half liter of Coke! Seriously.

Slightly off topic story but still sorta relevant here. Buddy of mine had a heart attack last summer (he is 43), mainly because of really poor eating habits. Apparently he was kind of an insomniac but on top of it he was eating these big, junk food/high fat meals in the middle of the night. He made it but it was close. I'm sure it happens in similar fashion to all sorts of people. You gotta think it might not be as common if junk food marts and fast food places weren't open all the time.

For me, 24/7 stores are among some of the worst things about America.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree on this. I'm sure there are people like yourself who rely on places to be open at odd hours but it can't be a large segment of the population. Sure, I've been in those places at all hours plenty of times but it certainly wouldn't bother me if they went away.

The problem with it in relationship to our culture is that it perpetuates the idea of entitlement. People want everything right now because they've been led to believe that's what they want by advertising. Sometimes you gotta turn stuff off and wait for tomorrow. The availability of junk food at anytime in a generic place on every corner is not a good thing even though it may be perceived as a convenience.

At this point, no one should be wondering why obesity and diabetes are two of the biggest health concerns this country faces. The thing that's hard to swallow about that though is that it's all self inflicted. I cringe when I see or hear another fast food joint advertising they're open all night to satisfy night time cravings. Hey, I need a midnight snack, I'm gonna go get a double cheeseburger with fries and a half liter of Coke! Seriously.

Slightly off topic story but still sorta relevant here. Buddy of mine had a heart attack last summer (he is 43), mainly because of really poor eating habits. Apparently he was kind of an insomniac but on top of it he was eating these big, junk food/high fat meals in the middle of the night. He made it but it was close. I'm sure it happens in similar fashion to all sorts of people. You gotta think it might not be as common if junk food marts and fast food places weren't open all the time.

For me, 24/7 stores are among some of the worst things about America.

Ever heard of personal responsibility ? Nobody is forcing anybody to go there. Please don't try to save me from myself.:wack:

:blob: Day old hot dog... like slow roasted BBQ... yum :blob:

Ever heard of personal responsibility ? Nobody is forcing anybody to go there. Please don't try to save me from myself.:wack:

I'm sure all the obese diabetics out there are right behind you on that.

Drown yourself in Monster energy drink and deep fry oil, I could care less.

And hey, I don't like being told what I can and can't do either. But really, there's too much crap available all the time. Can't be a good thing, personal responsibility aside.

And hey, I don't like being told what I can and can't do either. But really, there's too much crap available all the time. Can't be a good thing, personal responsibility aside.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this and let the thread get back on track.:cheers:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this and let the thread get back on track.:cheers:

thanks guys ....when you start a thread you never know how its going to turn out.

some valid points even though some may or may not agree.

I personally agree that a lot of that stuff in those stores is bad for you ....but I also believe in moderation .....I don't eat hot dogs and nachos every night ...that would not be a wise thing however once in a while it is a tasty snack.

more so than eating .....I was pointing out that its just a nice place to hang out and talk to people and have some degree of convenience with stuff that is available in a situation where other stores may be closed.

I have lived in other countries and they don't have these kinds of stores everywhere......so its just a unique and almost novel thing to me. I agree they should close on Christmas day and let people go be with their families and the way the gas pumps are self serve and take credit cards there is no reason they cant close the store one night and leave the pumps on.

Well, America used to be a tad bit better! Do anyone REMEMBER what McDonalds french fries USED to taste like???

They were delicious, but then the government stepped in! Now I rarely eat anything there. America is great and has helped me a bunch!!!

Sorry, I got side tracked here.

Ha! The deputies AND Sheriff in our county would tell you to light um up.

That made me think of my Uncles (2 guarding from above, city and State retired) and County. Of course my oldest Uncle would pick a fight with me to prove I could do it! If they know you it's always a different story!

Oh and to the HotDog naysayers... Yes we know they're really not good for us. Yes we have no clue what's in 'em or on 'em, but sometimes they just taste so good! Now I'm hungry!

Oh and to the HotDog naysayers... Yes we know they're really not good for us. Yes we have no clue what's in 'em or on 'em, but sometimes they just taste so good! Now I'm hungry!

Yep....only time I ever got sick from eating something was from a salad at a fancy Restaurant.:D

Yep....only time I ever got sick from eating something was from a salad at a fancy Restaurant.:D

On an even further note from the OP, once me and a buddy of mine went out to eat. He ordered a salad, me a burger. When he finished it all off, at the very bottom of the bowl was a fly, floating in the water. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Guess that wasn't a completely vegetarian meal!!

-
Back